Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How do you carry your rifle?? >

How do you carry your rifle??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How do you carry your rifle??

Old 10-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default How do you carry your rifle??

I am just curious, especially after coming home from a back country hunt, to see how you all carry your rifles in the field.

Here's what I mean:

I was packing my rifle on my shoulder with a backback going up and down hills and noticed a few times the safety slid on a strap or caught on a pocket and was switched to off. I have been taught to carry it empty chamberwith afull magazine. How do you all carry your rifles and has this ever happened to you?
Guides: How do you have your clients carry their rifles?
Old 10-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you carry your rifle??

Usually, I carry it in the ready position. If it's on my back with the sling though, since I have a old 3 position Mauser safety, I can lock it down, so I have no worries about it coming off and being able to fire it.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry with one in the chamber, safety on, either cradled in my left arm or in the low ready position with my sling wrapped around my left arm. When I'm glassing I rest the butt of the gun on my hip belt and hold it straight up with my right hand.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:11 PM

Most of the time I use shotguns for either doves, or walking hunts like squirrels, rabbits, and upland. I also live in a shotgun only deer state. For doves, you'er sitting in one spot so I will admit to waiting there with a chambered round and safety off. The rest of the times I'll either have (1)one partially in the chamber and safety off (this is possible only with pump actions...such as my trusty 870). (2)Action closed and round chambered with safety on OR (3)safety off and magazine loaded with and empty closed chamber.

22 bolts I keep chamber empty (or spent shell)and safety off. My auto I keep safety on.

I'm left handed and so I do these things partially because safeties are slightly more awkard for me to operate and its just as easy for me to keep 'em off and quickly load the chamber (especially in a pump or a very short bolt like the 22s) . Basically as long as there's at least one link in the "chain of firing" broken I'm comfortable.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: haugenna

I am just curious, especially after coming home from a back country hunt, to see how you all carry your rifles in the field.

Here's what I mean:

I was packing my rifle on my shoulder with a backback going up and down hills and noticed a few times the safety slid on a strap or caught on a pocket and was switched to off. I have been taught to carry it empty chamberwith afull magazine. How do you all carry your rifles and has this ever happened to you?
Guides: How do you have your clients carry their rifles?
Slung upside down and backwards "Jaeger-style" over left shoulder, muzzle down and pointed at the ground & slightly forward, or cradled on left arm, muzzle up and pointed at the sky, L hand around wrist of stock. When mountain walking or dragging game and needing both hands free, rifle is slung across back withsling across chest, over R shoulder & under L armpit. Muzzle points up & to the right. Only rarely do I carry in the military "sling arms" position with the sling over my R shoulder w/ rifle pointed muzzle-up behind R shoulder. This is a good carry for a short-barreled carbine that has a muzzle that will ride below the level of the top of one's head, where the barrel will not catch on tree limbs that you go under.

I have seen "great white huinters" who carry a rifle on their shoulder, with the muzzle pointed forward and their grip around the barrel about 12" behind the muzzle - I regard this as potentially dangerous, but I guess it is OK if the weapon is a "broken" double or an empty single barrel....
Old 10-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Let me clarify a little more: I am talking about rifle hunting in the high country, with steep hills and slide areas, a lot of times I have to use both hands to get up and down the hills...grab a branch or patch of grass.

Don't forget to mention your chamber.....Loaded with safety on or chamber empty and mag full?

Old 10-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I carry with the rifle over my right shoulder with a sling muzzle up,full mag and one in the chamber,rifle on saftey.If I'm climbing steep or realy slippery ground.I sling it accross my chest muzzle to the sky.This can be a pain with a backpack on,so I ussaly lengthen the sling to fit.
BBJ
Old 10-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Safari Sling
Old 10-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Slung upside down and backwards "Jaeger-style" over left shoulder, muzzle down and pointed at the ground & slightly forward
I also carry this way. I like the Jaeger-Style because you can get to the standing shooting position very quickly while not supporting the weight of your rifle while on the move.

Tom
Old 10-24-2006, 01:27 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: How do you carry your rifle??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.