Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How do you carry your rifle?? >

How do you carry your rifle??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How do you carry your rifle??

Old 10-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you carry your rifle??

I carry a gun using the cradle carry. I also keep a cartridge in the chamber with the safety off (just kidding, I always keep the safety on until I'm ready to fire.).
Old 10-24-2006, 12:46 PM

I used to carry my rifle loaded and on safety until my freshman year in college. YOu see I had to come home from school to attend the funeral of a neighbor. He wasn't a real close friend but I knew him well. You see he was in colorado elk hunting and before he and his hunting partner headed into camp they unloaded their weapons. The one fellow had a Rem. 700 30-06 that the safety had to be in the fire position before you could cycle the bolt. Well, when he pushed the safety to fire the gun roared, shooting his buddy in the throat.

Now, I carry on an empty chamber with the firing pin down and the safety off. When needed I cycle the bolt and fire. The only time this doesn't hold true is when I'm still hunting dark timber. Then I'm locked and loaded with the safety on at port arms ready to rock!
Old 10-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

The one fellow had a Rem. 700 30-06 that the safety had to be in the fire position before you could cycle the bolt. Well, when he pushed the safety to fire the gun roared, shooting his buddy in the throat.
It is a terrible shame that things like this happen,and the faulty design and safety are certainly huge factors,but the fact that a loaded gun was pointed at a person is also a huge factor.