Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 NEF vs. Ruger No. 1 >

NEF vs. Ruger No. 1

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NEF vs. Ruger No. 1

Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 PM
DM

Default RE: NEF vs. Ruger No. 1

I've had quite a few number 1's.... They aren't all super accurate! I've tuned several of them up by glassing the forearm to the tang, and free floating the bbl....

They sure aren't junk as one poster suggested though!!

DM
Old 10-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Ruger #1 are not in the same league as the NEF, but if price is an issue the NEF will work... Ruger #1 are not junk, I know I had one...
Old 10-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

The NEF will work for the $$$. I just had to bring my Ruger MKII on a hunt because my trusty NEF in a 243 let me down right before I wasready to goon an antelope hunt. This happened because the head space increased and at 100 yard I could keep em in a half doller but....at 200 I couldn't keepthem in a pie plate.Like one poster had mentioned about hinged firearms they tend to be less accurate than bolt andother types firearms. Example: excessive wear on the hing causes headspace issues. So in other word the more you open and close the breech the less life/accuracy you get out of an NEF. Now if they only made the hinge/lug that is welded to the barrel with some type of hardened steelbearing or at least make ithave some type of micro adjustment to adjust forhead space.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

Now granted the ruger is a much nicer gun, with a matching price. But if you could choose between the two which route would you go?

I've never shot a Ruger No. 1 and don't know if they're any faster on reloads (yes, I know neither are going to be 'fast' by any standards). Seems both triggers leave a little to be desired...and while the ruger is downright sexy you could get another barrel or two for the NEF and still be in the same money.
From the standpoint of interchangeability of barrels, of course the NEF wins. As far as strength, accuracy, and overall quality are concerned, you get what you pay foir - the No. 1 cannot be compared to the NEF in this regard-to the Dakota #10, maybe!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I dont own the #1 but I do own an NEF. I think the #1 is in a different league. I always heard that a breech loader was the most accurate rifle available. Is that true or not
Both are breech loaders. Any firearmthat is not a muzzleloader is a breech loader