Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking at possible first guns.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:53 AM

Default Looking at possible first guns.

Alright, I've finally got the paperwork done for my firearms purchasers card and I'm submitting that on break in November. The thing is though, my parents are anti-gun and anti-hunting, so this will be the first time I own a gun. I've been looking around a few websites (Remington, Winchester, Mossberg, Benelli) to see what's available. The paperwork will probably take until February to go through based on what I've heard from other people and from hunting stores, so I have time yet. This also gives me generous time to save up some money, as I can make a reasonable amount if I go back to the company I interned with over the summer. Judging by my schedule, I should be able to save up at least 1200 dollars. If I wait until later in spring break or the beginning of summer to get a gun, I could have 1800 dollars available.

I'm looking into getting both a shotgun and a rifle if possible. I'd even consider getting an over/under shotgun/rifle such as the Remington SPR94. If it means only getting one gun, then I'd prefer to get a rifle as I usually hunt in Jersey with my friends that have a couple old shotguns. I'd like to get a rifle so I can hunt in New York next season when I get an apartment off-campus. I'm open to recommendations for rifles, as my firearm shooting is limited to .22 rimfires and 12-gauge shotguns. Also, if anyone knows of any good, moderately inexpensive shotguns beside the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, I'd like to hear about those too. Thanks.

-Garrett
Old 10-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking at possible first guns.

ORIGINAL: Pickerel

Alright, I've finally got the paperwork done for my firearms purchasers card and I'm submitting that on break in November. The thing is though, my parents are anti-gun and anti-hunting, so this will be the first time I own a gun. I've been looking around a few websites (Remington, Winchester, Mossberg, Benelli) to see what's available. The paperwork will probably take until February to go through based on what I've heard from other people and from hunting stores, so I have time yet. This also gives me generous time to save up some money, as I can make a reasonable amount if I go back to the company I interned with over the summer. Judging by my schedule, I should be able to save up at least 1200 dollars. If I wait until later in spring break or the beginning of summer to get a gun, I could have 1800 dollars available.

I'm looking into getting both a shotgun and a rifle if possible. I'd even consider getting an over/under shotgun/rifle such as the Remington SPR94. If it means only getting one gun, then I'd prefer to get a rifle as I usually hunt in Jersey with my friends that have a couple old shotguns. I'd like to get a rifle so I can hunt in New York next season when I get an apartment off-campus. I'm open to recommendations for rifles, as my firearm shooting is limited to .22 rimfires and 12-gauge shotguns. Also, if anyone knows of any good, moderately inexpensive shotguns beside the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, I'd like to hear about those too. Thanks.

-Garrett
Garret, I suggest that you locate a local person who has a Federal Firearms License, and who is willing to receive shipments for customers and do the paperwork for a reasonable fee. Then go on some of these auction sites and find what you want. You can often get some real values this way, and some of the sellers list new guns at prices considerably below retail. In addition, you sometimes find some of the older guns, many no longer made, that are actually of higher quality than anything on the current retail market! An example of this is the Mannlicher-Schoenauer, a rifle whose quality has not been equalled since they stopped making them! (By all means, avoid those Russian-made Remington combo guns! Their prices reflect their quality! LOW!!)

Look at CZ, Savage, and Ruger for good quality rifles, as well as the makers you listed.

A number of NJ and NY dealers/sellers list on these sites, and most show pictures of their offerings.

Auction Arms www.auctionarms.com Gunbroker www.gunbroker.com

GunsAmerica http://216.219.244.51/
Old 10-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

eldequello has given you excellent advice. Don't forget to also check the local classified ads in the "sporting goods" or "firearms" section. The buys are there if you do a little research and go check out the guns in person.
I once bought a Mossberg Model 500 in 20 ga with 3 barrels for $75.00 and it was in EXCELLENT shape. It had a vent rib with the screw in choke system (only had 2 chokes) a 18 inch "home defense" barrel and a 22" rifled barrel. I practically stole it! You never know, used guns can be a real buy.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:25 PM

Aye, I know the drill of incessantly checking the classifieds after spending the summer looking for a canoe. Found a seventeen footer in good shape for two hundred dollars, but my cursed parents told me buying something so expensive was irresponsible and wouldn't give me access to the safe. Now though, I have a bank account so they don't get to say **** about my decisions.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

Always great to see someone new entering the hunting fraturnity. Especially good to see someone winning at an uphill battle coming from a no shooting/hunting background. Good on ya!

As mentioned a good used firearm is good value for the $ and will start you on the way nicely. Then in a few years when you have more recreation $ you will be able to fall in love with a gun and get it.

Robin down under
Old 10-17-2006, 05:43 PM

Just a thought...
As a first gun, a T/C Encore wouldnt be a bad idea at all. You could outfit yourself with several barrels as well for $1800...Maybe a;
-.204 Ruger
-.30-06 Spr.
-.50 ML
-.12 Ga.

Just a thought...Good luck!

Old 10-17-2006, 06:27 PM

Hard to beat a good 12 gauge pump shotgun for beginning toshotgun: the Remington 870 can be had inexpensively(under 300)and is one of the toughest guns out there. That leaves a bunch for a real nice rifle and scope! Not that you have to spend it all there My personal favorite is the Remington 700; I favor the CDL. Also up there with good rifles are the Ruger 77, Winchester 70, and the Savage 111g. They're all going to run about 400-600. Asfar as scoping the rifle, a trusty 3-9x40 isa real all-around scope, and from makers like bushnell, burris, nikon and leupold you'll be set.I'm guessing by location you're dealing with black bears and whitetails? What better cartridge to suit than the 30-06. From antelope to moose and everything in between, you will have the gun that will do the job.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:08 AM

If I could only have one gun, it would be a 12ga. shotgun. You can do just about anything with a 12ga. shotgun. You can hunt ducks, squirrels, deer, hogs, birds and just about anything other than elk or something. It's also great for home defense. I used to live in New Jersey for a few years. Their gun laws suck. I think the only place worse is California. Here in Oklahoma, if you have cash, they don't give a crap who you are.

Anyways, I have a Mossberg 500 that I have had for over 10 years. It is a GREAT gun. I also have a Mossberg 935 semi-automatic 12ga. I love it too. Several of my friends have bought a Stoger P-350. I think it's called a P-350. Anyways, it's a pump and is the same thing as a Benelli Nova. Hands down, I think the Stoeger is the best shotgun you can buy for under $300. It's REALLY nice.

For rifles, you gotta have a .22. They're a lot of fun to shoot, they're cheap to buy, and cheap to shoot. You can buy a brick of 550 .22 rounds for less than $9!! You can hunt squirrels and other small critters with them. They don't blow your eardrums out either. I can shoot mine all day and it doesn't bother my ears at all. I own a Marlin 60SB. It's a really pretty gun. Stainless steel barrel with a light colored wood stock. It holds like 18 rounds too. It's a smooth gun too. The trigger is really nice to pull unlike the Ruger. I bought mine at Wal-Mart brand new for $115. That was 10 years ago, but I still think you can get one for under $150. I put a cheap $40 scope from Wal-Mart on it too. This thing is dead on accurate every shot. I love this gun. Marlin 60. That's what you need.

For a bigger rifle, you can't beat a 30-06 for your first high powered rifle. It's a great all around rifle. Good range, penetration and knock down power. There's a lot of nice ones out there. I like the Browning and Remingtons myself. If you want something cheaper, Savage makes a great 30-06 for under $300. So, if you have $1,200, that's more than enough to get yuo started with some great guns.

My family was kind of like yours. We never had guns when I was growing up and nobody in my family hunts besides me. So, I'm pretty much self taught or learned from friends. But once I got out on my own, I started buying guns. Mom never let me have a dirtbike either but I have one now. But she remarried a few years ago and my stepdad is a very avid gun collector and hunts from time to time. My dad even bought a .40 cal pistol. They're coming around.

Anyways, your first gun should definately be a 12ga. Get a pump. They're great. Get a .22 and a 30-06 and you'll be set! You'll fiure it out from there! Matt
Old 10-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

A pawn shop can also be another good avenue for firearms if you know what your looking for and inspect them well before buying.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:02 AM

ORIGINAL: KC10Chief

Several of my friends have bought a Stoger P-350. I think it's called a P-350. Anyways, it's a pump and is the same thing as a Benelli Nova. Hands down, I think the Stoeger is the best shotgun you can buy for under $300. It's REALLY nice.
I've never heard of Stoeger. From what you say that sounds nice, and under $300 sounds nice too! I'll have to take a look at that.

For rifles, you gotta have a .22.
Haha. I wish I could get a .22. Granted I could buy a .22 rifle cheaply, but the problem is ammunition. In New Jersey .22 is considered handgun ammunition, and as thus I cannot buy that until I am 21. I don't even know if I can carry it while under 21, if I could get someone to buy it for me. Damn this state...

For a bigger rifle, you can't beat a 30-06 for your first high powered rifle. It's a great all around rifle. Good range, penetration and knock down power. There's a lot of nice ones out there. I like the Browning and Remingtons myself. If you want something cheaper, Savage makes a great 30-06 for under $300. So, if you have $1,200, that's more than enough to get yuo started with some great guns.
I've been looking at Remington, Ruger, Winchester, and Savage. Still gonna be looking around though as I will probably get one rifle and stick with that one for a few years. I'm considering either .30-06, .300 Winmag, or maybe .300 WSM although I don't know much about that cartridge. .300 Winmag I hear is a kicker, but I've got a good frame and with the retriever club trials I worked I had no problems with shooting a 12-gauge all day. I have even shot one-handed from the hip when I had to, although by the time I was done with that after a box of shells I was happy I was done with that.

Quick Reply: Looking at possible first guns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.