Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300 win mag deer rifle? >

300 win mag deer rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 win mag deer rifle?

Old 10-16-2006, 08:40 AM
DM

Default RE: 300 win mag deer rifle?

The big down side to buying a higher recoiling rifle with expensive ammo is, you won't practise with it as much as you should!

No matter what you buy, you should spend a lot of time practiseing with it!

DM
Old 10-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckmastr229

How is the 300 win mag? good or no good? im thinking about buying it for a deer rifle. this is what i want Thompson Center Arms Encore Rifle SST 26" 300 Win Mag , do they come with scope mounts or no? another question
You can certainly shoot deer with such a contraption. However, by and large, the .300 Win. Mag. is on the "overkill" side for merely a deer rifle. It is also suitable for bigger game, such as elk and moose....
Old 10-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 300-win mag is a great all-around choice.

I hunted antelope, whitetail, mule deer & elk with one rifle for several years. The rifle is a Ruger M-77 chambered in 300-win mag.

For the last 8-years I have been adding to my rifle collection. I have been buying rifles to match the game I hunt.
25-06 for antelope.
7mm-STW for deer & elk hunting in the open country.
300-win mag for hunting elk in the timber.
338-06 another elk rifle in a light weight easy to carry package.

If I could do it again? I wouldjustkeep my 300-win mag. I have not made my life eaiser, I have added more confusion.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:57 AM

I agree with the feedback so far. I bought a Savage 114 American Classic in .300 win mag this year and plan to use it in a blind for longer shots during rifle opener. I have shot about a 120 shots or there about through it to break in the barrel and sight in. It has a laminated stock and fairly good weight. I also put a medium sized slip on simms recoil pad over the paper thin stock pad and it has made a huge difference in perceived/felt recoil. I have been shooting 165 and 180 grns through it. It has a good kick, but I have gotten 1" groups out of it consistently and as long as I relax, no flinch of any sort.
Not the ideal gun fo whitetails and not close to my first rifle. There are many more appropriate calibers, but if you want to use it or have not choice but to use it, use it.
Practice, practice, practice....
Old 10-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

A lot of good points and I agree with at least some of them. Probably the first point is made by DM I can't shoot most 300 Win Mags without uncomfortable recoil. Guess what? after 50 years of shooting, I don't like recoil all that much. This is not a few shots in the field but an hour or two at the bench is out of the question. The old shoulder won't take what the young shoulder would.

Next point is that many consider the 30-06 to be a very good all around big game rifle. I agree but the 300 Win Mag is a bit more versitils yet and other that adding 3-5 lbs of recoil, its hard to argue that it is not at least as good as the 06 for all around hunting. Of course this line of thinking would never end. If the 300 Win. is a great all aroud cartridge, then would not the 300 Weatherby which adds another 150 fps or so be even better? Of course this would make the 30-378 even better? It comes down to how much pain do you enjoy.

I could live with having the 300 Win Mag as my own MAX for deer. With the Shooters Friend recoil pad, I could even handle a little practice with it. It would however, for recoil, be the absolute Max for me. I would also add that for deer, it would be no more effective than my 7MM-08. Or my wife's much loved 250 Savage.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is no doubt that the 300wm is a great choice for hunting species including deer,elk and moose.However,if I was only going to hunt deer,I would not be using any .308" bullet as it simply isn't required.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

I've been using a 300WM as a deer rifle for 8 years and it is a little much for a "deer only" rifle. Recoil, muzzle blast, weight/length of rifle (oftentimes) and cost of ammo are all increased for gains in performance.

Next year I'll be seriously considering a 25-06. Quite a few people have recommended it and it seems like a more sensible choice.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

With that Shooters Friend pad even 300 recoil is pretty tolerable. If you can stand the recoil I imagine it would make about a perffect all around gun....just like James said..how much pain can ya stand.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

just like James said..how much pain can ya stand
Oh come one, it's not that bad . It can be a little stout, especially during a long bench session, but it's not on my list of painful calibers. The 300 WM is a good all around cartridge, but I believe it's best suited for longer range shooting/hunting when whitetail deer are concerned. If most of your hunting is in areas where shots will seldom be over 250 yards, a standard long action caliber will serve you just as well without the added recoil and muzzle blast.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

If most of your hunting is in areas where shots will seldom be over 250 yards, a standard long action caliber will serve you just as well without the added recoil and muzzle blast.
A lot of standard "short action" calibers will work too... i.e. .308, 7mm-08, .260, .243...

Quick Reply: 300 win mag deer rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.