Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Buying a new deer rifle...help >

Buying a new deer rifle...help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying a new deer rifle...help

Old 10-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying a new deer rifle...help

younggun243.......ouch...get at em feller
Old 10-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun243

ORIGINAL: Magnum_Man_300

No that isn't enough gun, a 338 Win Mag is about right for Michigan.
Magnum Man, what is it with you and ginourmous calibers?
On another thread, you said that a kid should get a 375 H&H for his first deer rifle!
The one post thatI regret was lost was one posted by a guy that said :"....243 first gun for kids overrrated? You guys need to get off the crack!You guys say that we should get our kids something that will kill the deer, even if they have poor shot placement!
I know! let's get the 12-year-old a .416 Weatherby, so that he can kill the deer when he hits it in the butt, and then he'll be able to flinch for the rest of his life!"

I think that says it all. .338 is a safari gun, not a deer rifle, though it would work, but it would be a waste. The biggest I would get just for deer would be a .270, a 308, or a 30-30.
Deer don't need anything bigger than that. Magnum Man, next time you go out in the woods with your .300 RUM, let me know.

By the way, no hard feelings.
He obviously doesn't harvest any meat!!!..when all is said and done he probably salvages a couple pounds of ground venison
Old 10-16-2006, 06:56 PM

I appreciate all the info. A .338 is too much gun for my taste. A friend of mine has one and it nearly blows the deer in half. It left a hole the size of a soft ball on a deer shot at 50yrds away. I think the 30-06 with 165 or 180 grains should work great. Thanks all
Old 10-16-2006, 08:01 PM

Shoot the most gun you can handle! If the 30-06 is it no problem it'll kill any thing on this continent, including the critters in zoos. A little dose of flinch can really mess things up at 200-300 yds. I have a 338 win mag and a 45-70 which when loaded hot makes the 338 seem mild on the butt end. They both are very accurate, but I'd rather shoot something else when that power level isn't needed.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:06 PM

just curious, don't joke about being dumb. Any woman that likes the outdoors, hunting , shooting and fishing is way ahead of the pack. Any man who is lucky enough to find such a woman is the envy of his peers!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

The .30/'06 has handily killed all North American game, and most African species as well. Although I would not choose it for elephant,rhino or Cape Buffalo, when jack O'Connor's wife Eleanor went for her elephant, she killed it with one 220-grain solid bullet from her "big-game" rifle, which was a .30/'06. Her "nondangerous game" rifle was a 7X57mm Mauser....

Don't let anyone tell you that the old '06 isn't poweful enough for moose-it is! As a matter of fact, the person who killed the most moose I ever knew personally was an old Canadian from Ontario. Heshot them all with a slide-action Remington rifle chambered for .30 REM, the ballistic twin of the .30/30 Win. He generally shot themat less than 100 yards, one shot each through the lungs. Then he'd sit down, light his pipe, and wait for about 45 minutes before following their trail and butchering his moose......
Old 10-17-2006, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

just curious, don't joke about being dumb. Any woman that likes the outdoors, hunting , shooting and fishing is way ahead of the pack. Any man who is lucky enough to find such a woman is the envy of his peers!
yeah, i'm not worried about anyone thinking i'm dumb. i was kidding. if you knew me you would know i'm definitely not dumb. but i like to test the waters and see what happens....remember....just curious.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:48 PM

Did not a cat that was curious get killed???And some says the cat got its satisfaction though..Now that cat cant get curious no more..Wonder what ever happened to curious george?? I bet he went to see how curiousity the cat died and found out allso......
Old 10-18-2006, 01:09 PM

so, how is everyone's hunting success thus far this year?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag and I think it to be just about right for any and all game I come across. Load a heavier bullet and load it back a scotch and it’s a wonderful shorter range, east coast kind of rifle. Put a lighter bullet with a higher charge and you have a wonderful longer range elk/deer gun. Plus I have seen Moose and big bear kills with one loaded right. I also have a .308 in the 760. Wonderful brush gun, but the two piece stock makes the longer shots a bit harder. My Remington 700 with the 7mm Rem Mag holds sub MOA out to 300 yds. (That’s all the farther I have tried) Plus the synthetic stock and factory butt pad make the 7 mag kick considerably less then my .308. It was refreshing the first time I cracked one out of that gun. With all that said, I have nothing to say bad on the trusty ole '06. I just prefer the more versatile 7 Mag. That’s my $.02.

Quick Reply: Buying a new deer rifle...help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.