Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun Vs Muzzleloader >

Shotgun Vs Muzzleloader

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun Vs Muzzleloader

Old 09-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shotgun Vs Muzzleloader

What are the pros and cons of using either of these guns...Which one will have the farthest range on killing deer...which one has more felt recoil (pump shotgun)...looking to getting a new gun for deer hunting but need some help deciding which route to go
Old 09-22-2006, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shotgun Vs Muzzleloader

We hunt in alot of shotgun only area and I along with 3 of my hunting buds have moved to the ML's in these areas. It took me some time to convince them of the benefits but when I shot a deer looking at me at 130 yds right between the eyes, they bought into the program. ML's available today have excellent accuracy out to 200 yds if you take the time to work with them and know what they do. It is also much more enjoyable (recoil wise) to shoot a ML with a big load vs a 12 with 3" mags. I dont miss (nor does my freezer) the pain in getting that slug gun sighted in. If you do go the ML route, look at the new multi use weapons, rifle, shotgun & ML. Sure wish they were out there when I built my arsenal. Now the down side of the ML. ONE SHOT! Make it count. Rarely will you get the chance to reload, speedloaders or not.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pros of the ML is the accuracy and distance. Cons are takes longer to load it. No that this is a pro but a muzzle loader will teach you a lot about ballistics and trajectory. Also depending on what bullets you shoot is should be cheaper to shoot.

I hunt during the ML season and I use a fanny pack and I can load my ML without having to look down. I already know what pockets hold what. I have twice taken a second shot on a deer. Last year I shot a button buck from about 70 yds away and I shot him just below the head right on the spinal cord. He was essentially decapitated.

I would hands down choose a muzzleloader over a shotgun.

Tom
Old 09-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no experience with muzzleloaders but I have hunted with the shotgun. I’m not sure if bad weather effects a ml’s but it’s not an issue with the shotgun. I can load the shotgun fairly quick and have a follow up shot in no time. I’m getting good groups at 100 yards but nothing like a ml’s at 200 yards. I’m not particularly fond of heavy recoil but don’t have an issue with the shotgun. I’ve done bird hunting for years so the sabot in a shotgun is no difference as far as I’m concern. I may get a ml’s later but at this time have no desire for one. Good luck in your choice...
Old 09-22-2006, 07:33 AM

I hunt deer exclusively with a muzzle loader because where I hunt the choice is m/l or shotgun. An Encore 50 cal with a good Nikon scope.
It is good for 200 yards and haven't needed a second shot.

As far as a shotgun goes, it really depends on a few things. Recoil is dependant on whether it is a single shot, pump or semi. Most semi's having less recoil and some single shots being downright brutal.

Accuracy with a shotgun is dependant upon type slug/sabot and type barrel. In general, the most accurate would be a gun with a rifled barrel shooting sabots. My kids have a 20 gauge with a rifled ported barrel. Shooting Winchester partition gold sabots, they can easily get a 2 inch group at 100 yards and if you look at the ballistics, they are comparable to a pretty hot, magnum muzzle loader round. If memory serves the 20 gauge sabot is around 250 grains of jacketed hollow point and leaves the muzzle around 2100 fps. Most sabot barreled guns are good for 150 yards and an exceptional gun and shooter might be able to do better.

The second most accurate might be a regular barrel with a rifled choke. I don't know anyone shooting this, but have heard that it can do well in some guns with some slugs.

Usually, the least accurate is a smoothbore shooting foster or similar slugs. Some guns can group well to 100 yards, but usually the max distance on a smooth bore slug gun is around 75 yards, occaisionally a particular gun might do better.

One thing you do not want to do is shoot sabots in a smooth barrel or slugs in a rifled barrel. You might get one or two good shots, but in the end your accuracy will no be near optimal.

Lastly is buck shot. My personal feeling is that more deer have been wounded, crippled and maimed by buckshot than everything else combined. Yes, it accounts for many deer every year, but unless you are at fairly close distance, performance is problematic. Many people tend to not aim when using buck, because they don't think they have too and folks take shots at distances that they shouldn't because either they don't judge distance well or have never patterned theirgun. This results in deerthat are poorly hit. Ineither case, the deer we end up looking for hours for, and then find after the buzzzards do, almost always come from buckshot.When I am in the woods during deer season and am carrying my shotgun for small game, I usually carry a couple of 3 inch mag 00 or 000 buck in case one pops up. But I do not deer hunt with it.

Hank
Old 09-22-2006, 08:02 AM

Slug guns have more recoil, usually less accuracy, and less range. However, they offer a quick follow up shot. Muzzleloaders don't have much kick, many are capable of groups under 2"(have gotten 3/4" out of my open sight omega...maybe it was pure luck though ) and they are effective deer killers out to 200-250yds with a decent load.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another advantage to a muzzleloader vs a auto or pump shotgun...The scope mounting system is more solid...Most inline muzzleloaders were made to have a scope mounted...Most auto or pump shotguns were not.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:53 AM

the only downside to a muzzleloader is the cleanup. it takes a little while, and its best to do it the same day. some designs are easier to clean than others.

that being said, i would prefer a muzzleloader over a slug gun any day. the main reason is, as most folks have already observed here, the recoil is much more tolerable. muzzleloaders can be loaded to give excellent ballistics with very tolerable recoil.

also, they are (for the most part) accurate. sometimes it takes some experimentation with different projectiles, but my muzzleloading rifles have been exceptionally accurate, oftentimes outshooting my modern rifles.

these days, you can get a high quality muzzleloader for a great price. actually, you can spend as much as you want to on the rifle and projectiles, but you can also shoot very cheaply and get excellent results depending on the rifle and components you buy.

lastly, muzzleloading can be addictive for people who like to tinker (such as myself). between various projectiles and powders, there are a myriad load combinations you can try. i shoot my muzzleloaders more than my other rifles for that reason.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

after reading ..Id say shotgun..cantilever scopemount, rifle accuracy like Remingtons 11-87 premier. auto to boot
Old 10-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

I'd opt for muzzleloader - I do, in fact, because it is illegal to hunt with centerfire on the ground here.

Muzzleloader can kick easier, as hard, or harder than slug gun, depending upon what you load in it. if you're using 90gr pyrodex & a 240gr sabot, it is moderate. If you use a 410gr conical with 100gr power, it's gonna hurt more. I think slug guns generally kick harder. For cost... same thing. If you buy pyrodex powder at $5/can on post-season sale, and use XTP sabots, you can shoot for around $.40/shot or less... if you use 777 or Pyrodex pellets and powerbelts, yyou can pay as much as shotgun sabots. I have confidence in my muzzleloader - a modest scoped CVA (2nd one I've owned) - a lot further out than I do in my shotgun (an 870 with rifled barrel/iron sights).

No flame to anyone, of course - but be leery of these 200-250 yard accuracy/effectiveness claims for frontstuffer. Unless you're loading that rifle with a very hot load, AND you've practiced a bunch at that distance - and not just extrapolated bullet drop past 100 with a chart - 200 is a long ways, at least in my world, to put a muzzle-loaded bullet into a five-inch circle.

killed a doe this last Saturday at 50 yards, with 240gr XTP sabot. Shattered shoulder, deer DRT. Better than shotgun... .

Quick Reply: Shotgun Vs Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.