Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Please Help Me Decide >

Please Help Me Decide

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Please Help Me Decide

Old 11-11-2002, 01:35 PM

Default Please Help Me Decide

I am getting closer to purchasing my first rifle (finally). My choices are now down to two. I need some help on deciding which route to take and am hoping you guys can help out.

1) New Howa 1500 (.270) Synthetic stock with blued barrel $309. Add scope mounts and rings $45 (I think) and scope, Simmons Aetec (2.8-10x44) ($114) or for a little more a Bushnell Elite 3200 (3-9x40) ($151). Total with tax around $500-$550.

2) Used (1993-1997) Ruger M77 with walnut stock and blued barrel in 7mm Mag. It currently has an older Bushnell scope (3-9x40) (Same model year as gun). The gun appears to be in great shape and clean. The seller (a coworker) is also including a hardcase and sling. $350 (no tax either). He also claims that he has been very accurate with it even though the Bushnell is an older scope.

I am somewhat price sensitive and the Howa with scope is definitely at the top of my price range. Which would you guys purchase? This will be used primarily as a whitetail, hunting gun. In the future, I may eventually get into Elk hunting but that is not much of a consideration at this point. Is $350 a good price for the Ruger? Please keep in mind that this will be my first true rifle (.22s aside).

I shoot 3 1/2, 12 gauge magnum loads when duck hunting, how is the kick of a 7mm mag in comparison?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:40 PM

Default RE: Please Help Me Decide

HOW BIG ARE YOU DUCKS? I would still go with the .270, the ruger, IMO, is to light. Nothing wrong with it, just don't like getting shot in the arm, each time I shot it. Your 3 1/2 has a long recoil time, in camparison and no scope to smack you in the head!

Hurry up and wait.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
HOW BIG ARE YOU DUCKS? I would still go with the .270, the ruger, IMO, is to light. Nothing wrong with it, just don't like getting shot in the arm, each time I shot it. Your 3 1/2 has a long recoil time, in camparison and no scope to smack you in the head!

Hurry up and wait.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Bruce,

Oops that should have said geese and ducks. I typically shoot ducks with 3&quot; shells out of my 870 Super Mag. and reserve 3 1/2&quot; for geese.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:13 PM

I can see that as doable....lol. Hope I helped a bit on the choice, one other note..7mm mag rounds cost a bit more.

Hurry up and wait.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

If it was me I'd go for the 7Mag. Ammo isn't that much more. Plus you are getting a hardcase & sling in the deal. Either is ok for deer. The 270 is ok for elk but it's not my 1st choice.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is a tough chice.I prefer the howa rifle especially since it is new and has a synthetic stock.Then again I much prefer the 7mm mag over the 270 if you ever intend to hunt elk or moose with this rifle.My own choice would be to buy the howa in 7mm mag if you can find one and get the best of both worlds.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

The .270 Win is considered by many experts to be the best all-around cartridge for thin-skinned, non-dangerous game ever invented. It has a maximum PBR of 300 yards or better with all normal hunting loads, and the 130gr bullet from the .270 actually hits with more energy beyond 200 yards than the 150gr bullet fired form the .30-06. The 150gr bullet form the .270 also hits with more energy beyond 200 yards than the 165gr bullet fired from the .30-06. The 160gr from a .270 hits with more energy beyond 200 yards than the 180gr from a .30-06. And the .270 has a longer PBR in comparison with the '06 in all weights, which means it just plain 'ol shoots flatter.

Better velocity, better trajectory and more energy beyond 200 yards give the .270 Win a considerable edge over the venerable .30-06. And all this with less recoil.

Even the 7mm Rem Mag only gives you a few more yards of maximum PBR, and just a few more ft lbs of energy. And this comes at the expense of greater recoil and muzzle blast, and even greater expense when one reaches into his wallet to buy factory ammo. You will also find a nice variety of factory .270 ammo at almost any backcountry store anywhere in the world.

Looking to be a one-rifle hunter in North America, and not planning on going after bears? Better get a .270 Winchester.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 11-11-2002, 06:18 PM

i don't like buying used guns. don't like dealing with someone else's problems.

Old 11-11-2002, 06:34 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-11-2002, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually the 7mm rem mag will provide a few hundred ftlbs more energy than the 270 and does shoot flatter as well.Ammunition for the 7mm mag is also very common and easy to get at most locations.

Quick Reply: Please Help Me Decide

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.