Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking for my 1st shotgun (Deer & Turkey) >

Looking for my 1st shotgun (Deer & Turkey)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for my 1st shotgun (Deer & Turkey)

Old 09-19-2006, 02:45 PM
EBB
Spike

Default Looking for my 1st shotgun (Deer & Turkey)

Hi All, What's your "money's no object" dream shotgun and how is it different from the Remmington 870 that's on sale at my local gun shop?

I've never hunted w/shotgun before, so I'm in need of advice. I'd like to buy a combo, for deer & turkey. Anything I should look out for as good or bad?

Also, after bow & rifle hunting I'm nervous that a slug is gonna just blow the hell outta the brisket... true?

Anyway I find that every time I spend the least amount on something I'm trying for the first time, I end up wishing I'd spent a bit more for something better one year later! Trying to avoid that this time....
Thanks!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:47 PM

Default RE: Looking for my 1st shotgun (Deer & Turkey)

EBB,

I dont turkey hunt (yet) so I can't help ya there, but I deer hunt in a shotgun only zone in WI, so I know a little something about hunting deer with slug guns. I use a Rem 11-87 with fully rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount, and 2 3/4" sabot slugs. I get better than 3" accuracy at 100 yds.

The870 with a fully rifled barrel and decent sight will do just as well. I went for the auto loader because I am a recoil wimp, butthe 870 willbe great. I definitely recommend a fully rifled barrel and sabot slugs for deer. That means you will have to have anextra barrel for turkeys (smooth bore). You could spend thousands on a beautiful benelli or other really high end shot gun, but you will get great functionality out of aRemington.Get the 870 if you like pumps or the 11-87 if you want an autoloader. Good luck andlet meknow how it goes for ya.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:47 PM

My first shotgun was a Winny 1300. A year later, I sold it to Dad and bought an 870 magnum (3" shells). I love it and for a deer/turkey gun, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I do have about $150 in extras in it though.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:57 PM

Sorry Ebb, I missed some of your questions in my first post. I have not noticed excessive meat damage from slugs in the several dozen I have seen killed with slugs. If you put a lung shot on a deer with a 12 ga. slug, it is going down hard, with very little meat damage. If you shoot through a shoulder orstraight into the brisket, you might get some meat damage, but I always go for lung shots....they still drop in their tracks.

Also, if money was no object, I would probably get a benelli auto loader or something else of that quality. Probably something between $1500 and $2500. How is that diff from the 870? Well, it costs a whole bunch more. It's made overseas, and probably is of higher quality and reliability. But I definitely think that an 870 or 11-87 will be perfectly reliable and functional for you when you hunt deer and turkey. While the spendy pieces are nice, they are not neccessary, nor do they give you a significant advantage in a deer or turkey hunting scenario. IMHO. I am sure many disagree.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:40 PM
EBB
Spike

Thanks! those are some great answers.
I supose if I sholdered the Rem, Win, or Moss up against a Holland & Holland, I'd feel some difference... but they both do the same thing, I suppose.
So when you get down to the mid-priced guns is it all a matter of personal feel, or do some really have BETTER components?

And why don't people hunt with over-and-under or side-by-side guns? Is it for the ease of not reloading and multiple shooting? An obvious plus for birds in flight, but I'm only allowed two hens a season (turkey in NY.) So, if I didn't want combo would that be better/worse... cheaper/more costly?

Sorry for the MANY questions... really trying to get as educated as possible!!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:05 PM

EBB,

I am partial to remington shotguns, but I imagine that all the mid range guns (rem, win, browning, moss) are of similar quality. Several years ago, I had some friends with major mossberg issues, but mossberg may have overcome those problems by now. I would get whichever felt best to you. I think a major reason why people don't generally hunt deer and turkeys with double guns is because of sights. With a slug gun, you will be much more capable with a scope, and a lot of turkey hunters like scopes or open sights. Double guns don't offer that. Also, double guns are smooth bore (not good for deer), and usually not choked tight enough for turkeys.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:13 PM

Sorry,I keep forgetting things...you might want to try finding an older 870 on a used gun rack. The older ones seem to be a little better in quality. My dad's 30 yr old 870 wingmaster is a lot better than the new ones now. You could get a used one with a full choke for turkeys and then buy the rifled barrel separate for deer. OR, if you don't want to do the extra barrel thing, you can get a new one with screw in chokes. Get an extra full choke tube for your turkeys and a rifled choke for deer. Mount a low power scope or make sure you have good open sights...beads don't usually cut it. I am not sure how effective the rifled choke tubes are, but it is an option if you dont want to have an extra rifled barrel. Seriously though, having that rifled slug barrel will make you a very happy man when deer season comes around.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:45 PM
EBB
Spike

thanks again! alright, I'll go handle a few, see what talks to me...
I always liked the simplicity of a hinge gun, kinda old world, traditional - and I thought I'd have an excuse to buy one shooting turkey, but I guess not.
Maybe I'll need another new pursuit next year for that!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

Look at the Rem. 870 12 gauge combo. Couldn't ask for better accuracy w/ the bird barrel(took my first turkey this past spring at 35 yrds. Looking to get a deer w/ the rifled barrel. Can't wait!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:09 PM

If money, and weight, are no object get the Remington SP-10 Magnum. I use mine for both turkey and waterfowl hunting. Federal manufactures slugs and buck shot in 10 guage so you could also use itfor deer or other big game hunting. It is a beautiful, solid and well made firearm that I believe is well worth the $1200 or so that you would have to spend to get one new. It's recoil is about the same as a 12 guage but you get a denser shot pattern.

Caldoc