Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Purchasing new rifle >

Purchasing new rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Purchasing new rifle

Old 09-10-2006, 06:20 PM

Default Purchasing new rifle

I'm planning to purchase the new Tikka T3 with the camo stock.Not sure on the caliber/cartridge. Would like to use this new rifle mostly for deer hunting in Pa., but would also like to use it for an occasional coyotte or an mule deer/Elk combo hunthopefully in the near future. Looking for suggestion.....

R1
Old 09-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Purchasing new rifle

You would be hard pressed to find a better cartridge than the 7mmremmag for your uses.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:46 PM

I like the .270 myself.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

And here come several more pages of posts!!!!!!!

You're going to get tons of really strong opinions about what's "best", and what's "absolutely unacceptable" for the game you're hunting. These opinions can be helpful, but they mean little on the gun range, and even less in the field.

If you're a good enough hunter to get close before shooting, then feel free to get a smaller caliber, or a cartride that burns less powder. If you want to shoot from several counties away, go for a magnum. Whatever you choose, just make sure you spend enough time at the range to beable to hit what you're aiming at in the field!

My advice would be to avail yourself of the cameraderie at the shooting range, and see who'll let you send afew rounds through their rifles. You can see what "speaks to you" through some actual shooting.

I s'pose you could also look into ammo availability, or whether you feel like reloading, or if you're a caliber-nonconformist by nature, or if you ever see yourself buying more guns in the future, or if this is going to be your one-and-only-go-to rifle, or if you'll be passing this down to a pre-teen someday, or loaning it to your boss who's got a reconstructed shoulder...

Whatever you choose, though, you have to post some picutures!

Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:51 PM

I agree with fc. do your home work before you buy, research recoil, ammo availability and selection, ballistics of different rounds and match them to you hunting situations and game. Go to the range and shoot different calibers to see what ones suit you. I learned the hard way and rushed in to buying something that wasn't right for meandthen regreted it. I went from a 300 rum to 270 winchesterand then finally settledon a 7mm rem mag formy main big game gun.Where I live we usually hunt moose and deer similtaneously where 50-300 yard shots are common.I am not saying the 7mm is the best, becausethere are plenty ofgreat rounds out there , its really a personal choice. For me it was a balance between good balistics and recoil in a caliber that had a good selection ofinexpensive factory ammo so I could afford to target practise and become compentent with it.The 30-06 and 308 are also very good rounds to consider for deer/elk sized game.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:24 PM

I have the tikka T3 in a 300WSM and it kicks quite hard for mostly deer I have heard good things about the 7mm-08, be nice with the yotes too
Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

I would go with the 7mm-08, low recoil and hits harddddd. I read a article by John Wooters and he said the case and bullet size were efficent and that it done more than it was susposed to do.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

For what you say you'd be using it for I suggest a 25-06 or 270.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Raptor1:

Because you want to kill the occasional coyotte, I would go with the .270 WSM. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a T-3 in 25/06 (which I love) that would suffice nicely for your intended purpose. Very mild recoiling too.

Quick Reply: Purchasing new rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.