Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in

Old 09-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sighting in

OK guys I'm having trouble give me a hand.

I went to sight in my new 7400 the other day and the POI kept walking down. I would adjust up and it would hit about the same sopt as before I adjusted if I didn't adjust it went down. I checked the scope and everything was tight. My gear is all brand new as follows. Remmington 7400 Black and synthetic, Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 scope and Winchester 150 Gr. soft point. It would drop about 1/4 in at 100 yards each shot.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:00 AM

Default RE: Sighting in

How many shots? How far apart in time?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Either there is stress on the barrel or your scope adjustment is moving from recoil.If you let the gun cool fully,does the point of impact return to the original point of impact,or does it remain where it was for the last shot?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few more details might help pin point it. Onequestion is, does it do this for the first few shots from a clean barrel or always? I've seen many guns that will not shoot consistently until after 3 to 5 fouling shots. The most severe example I've seen was an older Win 70 in 270. The first shot out of a clean barrel was always about 8" left and 4" high at 100 yards and each shot walked back toward center and would be dead on starting around shot 5 or 6, then it would group into .75" all day long. That is the reason I will not clean my gun after my final sight in until after hunting season unless it gets wet or some other extenuating circumstances. Then I fire at least 3 fouling shots before going back out.

See if you can pin point a pattern and give us more details.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

This was the first time I fired the gun. But I did it both ways and even with a cool barrel it would keep doing it. Like I said with every shot about 1/4 in lower. What is stress on the barrel
Old 09-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

You may need to break the barrel in. Cleaning the copper fouling after each shot for about 12-15 shots. Then after every 5 shots for about 50 shots.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stress on the barrel can be of two types,one is due to bedding or how the action is connected to the barrel and stockin the case of some types of guns with two piece stocks.The other is stresses within the barrel remaining after the barrel is manufactured.
If you take off the scopes vertcal adjustment cover,does the adjustment move with recoil as the gun is fired?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

It really should not be the stock fit as the barrel is completly free of any pressue from the forend. This is one key to their accuracy. This it would seem would about have to be in the scope or mounting. I have never heard of this problem myself.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

With a brand new gun I would guess that you need to break in the barrel like stated before clean after every shot and then every 5 or so to get the barrel seasoned. I would try that and just keep shooting hopefully it will get better.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:46 PM

switch out the scope with one ya know is good and see if it don't solve it. if it don't the try these other posters suggestions.

on another forum there was two guy's had a problem with Nikon scopes.

early

Quick Reply: Sighting in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.