Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Caliber for son's first deer rifle? >

Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Old 11-21-2006, 08:48 AM

Default RE: Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

With the new reduced recoil ammo my son shoots a Rem 76030-06. He's 12 and weighs a hundred pounds soaking wet. If you get him something like an 30-06 or a 270 he can use it his whole life without switching guns. I cut 2 in off the stock on my 760 so my son can shoot it. I put a slip on recoild pad when I want to shoot the gun. When he gets older I'll buy a new stock for $80 and he'll be set.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pintailhomes
All I'm saying is dont buy a .243 for a beginner rifle, just buy a .243 for what it is...a great standard caliber.
You consistently make no sense pintailhomes, he's getting his son the .243 as a beginner rifle because for now his son can't stand more recoil than that. In the future, he can get a 30-06, but not now.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

All I'm saying is dont buy a .243 for a beginner rifle, just buy a .243 for what it is...a great standard caliber.
You consistently make no sense pintailhomes, he's getting his son the .243 as a beginner rifle because for now his son can't stand more recoil than that. In the future, he can get a 30-06, but not now.
Where does it say he's buying a .243? Several people suggested it, but he hasn't replied since the original post. A .243 isn't a beginner rifleis all I'm saying. A .22 is a beginner rifle. A .243 is an adult rifle.

I'm still waiting on your expert analysis of using rifled slugs through a rifled barrel and how that would "destroy a barrel" That statement discredited all of your opinions in my view. You made a statement and suggestion that you had no prior experience and passed it on as fact.[:'(]
Old 11-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

I would suggest the 7mm-08. And for good reason. It's a great all around caliber that he can grow into and use forever. The 7mm-08 can be used for bigger game as well. This is something of disadvantage of the 243. 243 is a good deer gun but i wouldn't go for bigger game with it.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

That statement discredited all of your opinions in my view.
Oh yeah, well, I am waiting for you to explain what sense it would be for a guy to use sabot slugs in a smoothbore! Sure, you're right it won't destroy the barrel, but it'll really make no sense at all since that combo isn't accurate at all. Sabots are expensive too.

I could say that that statement discredited all of your opinions, but I don't. You ask why? Because I believe that maybe shotgun slugs wasn't your cup of tea, but I suppose you know stuff about other topics.
Don't suppose that one mistake totally discredits a member on HNI, lots of members say dumb things here.

It seems to me that you were telling the guy what mindset he should buy a .243with. Basicly what you'resaying is this: "Don't get the .243 thinking it's a kid gun, get it because it's an adult caliber!"

He's looking for a recoil-light rifle, and beginners need light recoil rifles. If he wanted an adult gun for his son, then he could've gotten a .30-06, but that kicks too much. He's not looking for an adult gun, he's looking for a beginner's gun.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:08 PM

get a 22-250
Old 11-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only trouble with that is that 22-250 isn't legal everywhere. Usually, you must have a 24 or higher caliber. In Tennessee, you can hunt a deer with any center-fire cartridge. I think that's stupid, you can"shoot" deer with a .204 Ruger!
Old 11-24-2006, 07:32 AM

If any centerfire cartridge is availible to use down to a .204, and you are comfortable hunting with it, use it. Reports to our local and surrounding sheriff departments and throuugh the DNR an estimate of 9 out of 10 deer killed by poaching are taken by rimfire cartridges .17 or .22. Obviously they draw less attention being subsonic and are still fast and deadly.

Of course I come from a state with the highest number of B&C entries in the US, and we are only allowed to use slug guns.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Spike

My grandson is 12, 5'1" and 115 lbs. Shot his first 2 deer with his Dad's 270. I can't recommend this approach as we are having a difficult time getting him to practice with the 270 due to the "Kick". (Son-In-Laws, can't live with them and can't Shoot Em')

IMHO - It still comes down to bullet placement and a competent load that can do the Job. Plenty of deer have been killed with a .243 and 6mm however, I still consider them an "Expert's" cartridge as bullet placement is even more important.

If you want an undersized individual to develop shooting skills then you should choose a cartridge/rifle combo that won't punish them each time they shoot. I prefer the 7mm-08 as a moderate recoil cartridge and I can attest that it will and can do the job on Deer sized Game.

Personally, I'm a 30-06 Fanatic and will always be (My son-in-law says that is because the cartridge came out the same year I Was Born!) That's an embellishment - and he's real good at that part.
(I'd whip him if I Could!)

Safe Hunting to All
Old 09-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plain and simple 7mm08. My wifes shoots a Ruger M77 MKII Compact 7mm08 and has laid several deer low. Recoil is mild.I like it much better then a 243 for deer size game.

Quick Reply: Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.