Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.380 acp

Old 09-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .380 acp

for the same money as a PPK/s you could get a glock 36 which holds 6+1 of 45 acp as apposed to the PPK which is 7+1 of 380 acp though the 36 holds one less round the firepower of the 45 is far superior to a 380. having experience with both, the glock is just a margin larger then the PPK.

A PPK/s measures 6 1/2" long 4 1/2" high and 1 inch wide and weighs in at 23 oz dry.

A glock 36 measures 6 3/4" long 4 3/4" high and 1 1/8 wide and
weighs 20 oz dry.

if its the james bond gun that ya want by all means go for it its your life. but im just trying to help you make a better choice. you might think oh this guy is just Biassed about glocks.. well im not but I am Biassed about the 45 acp being the best defense round period. I have four pistols I use for carry guns (1 is a taurus 2 are glocks and one is a XD) depending on how im dressed and what suits the ease of concealment the best, all four are 45's. I wouldnt trust anything less then a 45 when my life is at stake.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

A friend of mine used to carry a 380. but doesnt anymore after an incident where he was being robbed. My friend managed to to get all 7 rounds into the attacker but it didnt stop him fast enough and the attacker got 3 shots off where 2 of the shots struck my friend in the leg and shoulder. now he carries nothing but a 45.
thats about as gooda argument fer the 45 as i ever heard. i don't blame him fer switchin. he'd probly be dead though if he'd been un-armed. still;
it gives me definite pause bout usin a 380!

early
Old 09-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

My glock model 22 in .40 cal holds 15 in the clip. I rely on it. The are the most durable and easy to care ffor and maintain pistols out there IMO. They WILL NOT jam. Go for the glock, it wont let you down
Old 09-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't wish to exclude mid bores like the 32's and the old 38's from SD because that is all some people can hit with. I don't want to disenfranchise them from protecting themselves. My first choice for a SD pistol would be a 45, but then, I have seen stoppage failure with that caliber too. Pistols just don't do that much damage, short of a good brain or upper spine hit. Baby Face Nelson was mortally wounded with 17 rounds and still took 2 agents out with him! Thus, when dealing with someone in a rage who is determined to take his last moments out on you, well, we may not make it.

So my vote is to take the largest piece you can shoot and practice. Now, where is my buckshot?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Typical Buck

Id at least start with a 9mm. The 40 is a great shooter and doesnt recoil much. a 45 isnt bad either really and has a littlemore hit power. I dont know much about a 357 sig but id imagine that, beside all the rumors, that it would be a great cartridge.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes get the biggest one( pistol/revolver )you can carry well(-where size& weight dosnt matter to much i would. (and dosnt have to be unseen under clothes?).A .380 wouldnt be my first choice either. But i think it has its uses to . And as the other poster pointed out - better then nothing i think(and can be used as a backup/2nd gun)-.& better thenyour finger?A 44 mag& above only for stoping power be ideal?I may get one( already have a few 44.s& 38,s & 9mm (luger/ parabellums only ) etc )- & may get a 380myself . Isntthe .380 a 9mm( ?(= Type ofshort version?)

But i think those ppks maybe to much for me anyways cost wise( least they where before)

Around $240. or so these.380 Kel tec,s are ithink in price ( they have a .223 cal riflei may have to check out to)

These isa From the Guns& ammo web page.
.................................................. .............................
Kel-Tec P-3AT[/align]This astonishingly compact .380 auto sets new standards in weight-to-power ratio.[/align]By Wiley Clapp [/align][/align]

The P-3AT’s .380 ACP chambering makes it an unsurpassed combination of concealability and effectiveness.[/align][/align][/align]

Ingenuity is often nothing more than a combination of existing principles applied in unique ways. Kel-Tec's new P-3AT has no single feature that is not established in modern pistol design, yet it has no competition in its niche.

This simple little .380 is the thinnest pocket auto I can recall. It's one of the easiest-to-conceal handguns of effective caliber you could possibly find. The P-3AT is 3.5 inches high by 5.12 inches long (including a 2.75-inch barrel). It is the thickness of the gun--.78 of an inch at its widest point--that is downright startling when you pick one up. And the pistol's unloaded weight is just 8.5 ounces. Now, a half-pound .380 that is actually smaller than my outstretched hand is unique. This one is small and light enough to tuck away in ankle rigs, waistbands, almost any pocket, possibly even in a hat.
.................................................. .................................................

Nice& light(And smallerlighter& then the ppk)

Hiddin in a hat you could still be armed in a nudist camp/beach ?

Didnt the Fbi switch from 38,s&9mm luger etc to 10mm & then later to the shorter cased 40. cal version.s after a few agents where killed in a gunfight.( a crazed man with a mini 14?). ?

When my mate shoots our glock model 17. it has jammed about every 2-3 rounds on her.But she hits the targets well with it- but wouldnt want her to have to rely on it with her life. Its been doing that for her for years with her. But itdosnt effect or any jams with any ofthe other brand 9mm,s& semi auto,s etc we own. I think its her grip& hold.But it Did improve & jam much less when she recently shot it off the hood ofour truck- while leaning/ her arms on it.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

A friend of mine used to carry a 380. but doesnt anymore after an incident where he was being robbed. My friend managed to to get all 7 rounds into the attacker but it didnt stop him fast enough and the attacker got 3 shots off where 2 of the shots struck my friend in the leg and shoulder. now he carries nothing but a 45.
thats about as gooda argument fer the 45 as i ever heard. i don't blame him fer switchin. he'd probly be dead though if he'd been un-armed. still;
it gives me definite pause bout usin a 380!

early
yep atleast he had something, but that something should have been a 45 from the get go. I dont think experimenting is a good idea when it comes to your life. Go with what works from the begining.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Had to get one of these recently for a b-day SpikeHorn[&o].Its the larger(longer)(but plainer model)SSteel/Sa -22 mag frame version- ($160)-the 22 lr version is smaller. they both can be had with various barrel s& grips etc(and higher prices) 22. lr&22. mag& some 22. short cal /frames i believe&in .17 cal also.

Not for everyone id think - hard to reload etc- easy toCC(even in a t shirt pocket or a boot or a sock ,etc....).Better make those 5 shots count- but hopfully theresthe first 5. in 357 mag or etc & would have taken care of things already-
itshould begiven back?

Old 09-05-2006, 12:13 PM

From what I have read in most cases having the gun is enough to stop an attacker but I would not want to chance it either, .45 acp is the way to go just in case you actually do need it.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:13 PM

I used to have a PPK, nice gun, very well made, functioned perfectly. Not incredibly accurate though do to the small size. And remember a .380 is pretty much a 9mm short.

I later got a 9mm browning HI POWER and was much happier with it. Although it was a lot bigger than the PPK if you were thinking about concealed carry. But the Browning was VERY accurate and with +P loads the 9mm is pretty capable.

I also had a brother in law that had a glock .40. Great gun for an experienced shooter. Not so great for the begginer in my opinion. The trigger safety is a bit iffy for me and if you don't grip them properly they will jam. You can't limp wrist them. Other than that they are incredible weapons for the money. Sort of like the AK of pistols. Not the most accurate, but function no matter what.

I would actually suggest a revolver in .357 mag for a new shooter or for someone that doesn't intend on shooting a lot. They are not mechanically complicated, simple to use and you can use .38 ammo for practice.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.