Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Accuracy .300 WSM Remington XCR >

Accuracy .300 WSM Remington XCR

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accuracy .300 WSM Remington XCR

Old 08-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Accuracy .300 WSM Remington XCR

I just purchased a Remington 700 XCR Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation edition in .300 WSM and put a Nikon Buckmasters 3 x 9 on it. I need some help/input!!

...long story short, I cannot get it to shoot well! I have put 44 shells through it. I have it in a sight vise, and after the first box of 20 shellsI even got a hydraulic trigger release, then came back and shot the other box on a different day (new Federal Fusions) and a few Federal Premiums,first box 165 and second batch180 grain. I know that the scope/gun is being held dead on when firing (anchored & strapped into vise, and now with hydraulic release). I allow the barrel to cool between shots. I can manage to get 2 shots within 1 to1 1/2 inches... I think it's going good... then it will throw the nextshot off several inches (at 100 yards). The scope is securely anchored down as well (all screws & mounts). I did check the "float" of the barrel by sliding an index card b/t barrel & stock, and it will slide between. I was using bungee cords to anchor the gun tightly at two points: (1) downover the barrel at the forearm area, and (2) also at the rear stock where the "cheekpiece rise" is, and I don't know if that would affect it(??). Thanks in advance for the input!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Accuracy .300 WSM Remington XCR

Try shooting your rifle off of sandbags in a traditional manner, firing groups of 3, one right after another, cooling between groups, not shots. Also check to see that your stock and scope bolts are secure.
Very good advice.Two different loads is also not a great test of a rifles accuracy.I would try another and possibly some 165gr loads.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

The vise is not because of kick --- it is not "weighted" or bolted to the table so it does not control the recoil. Regardless, the recoil of this rifle is very manageable. I am using the vise "setup" as a stabilizing device, as sandbags would be.

May I ask why you regard vises and trigger releases as gimmicks? Why do sandbags have an advantage over them? Is there something in your opinion/expertise with my current vise setup that may be altering my shots (bungees place "stress" on rifle, maybe)?

As I stated in my original post, the scope is secured properly, and all else on the rifle is as well. I am just puzzled because I cannot get consistency.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:52 PM

I never say much for certainty in life because you never know when you will be wrong and look stupid, but no bungees. And no tight vise. Hold your gun secure, but let it breath so to speak. Anchor at the butt of the gun as lightly as possible, DO NOT torque the forend, and let nothing touch the barrel. See if that helps.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

It should also bementioned that gun vices can effect the point of impact and therefore should not be used to sight in a rifle.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:24 PM

Why affect point of impact?
Old 08-19-2006, 09:41 PM
bigcountry

When you mounted the scope did you lap the rings? I have seen problems like this caused by scope ring misaligments. Also did you check the torque of the action screws? I like 45inch lbs on front and back less.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why affect point of impact?
Because it prevents the gun from recoiling naturally which can have an effect on point of impact.Preventing the gun from recoiling naturally can also result in stock damage with rifles that produce a lot of recoil.Stocks have cracked while being used in a gun vice.

Quick Reply: Accuracy .300 WSM Remington XCR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.