Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which do you think is best? >

Which do you think is best?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which do you think is best?

Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 PM

Default Which do you think is best?

Alright my dad has been hinting for the past month that he wouldn't MIND getting a new gun.. When he says mind he is just beating around the bush. But he is extremly happy with his 300 win mag feather weight.. But he has had the gun 10 yearsand it is mint condition and he thinks it time to retire that gun to a back up gun its done it just as he says for the past 10 and has never failed him.
Well i myself thanks he deserves the Mark V Lazermark chambered in the 340 wbymag but that is pricey,How is the Vanguard sporterBut its not chambered in a 340wby it is only chambered in the 338win.it but which caliber would you choosefor mainlydeer elk and possiblymoose and black bear hunts?(25 yrds-350yrs) Recoil isn't much of a factor he has i high tolarance for it for 40 going on 41 tomarrow.
Or do you have any other recomandations caliber wise or model wise.I am open for ideas all year cuz the actual choice won't be made till after this up coming hunting season (nov.4 -11) Thanks ahead!!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which do you think is best?

The Weatherby Vanguard Sporter in .338 Win. Mag. would be a fine rifle for your father. The .338 Win. Mag. will be a fine caliber for deer and elk, or any big gamethat lives in North America. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Typical Buck

Go for the big boy. 30-378 whetherby!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Anthony T.

Go for the big boy. 30-378 whetherby!
The only problem with that is i do belive that it can not be chamberd in that.. Or else i would be going for that to after seein the chart perfomance.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 08:04 AM
DM

He already has more than enough gun for the animials you listed.... Buy him some ammo, and maybe upgrade the opitcs? Then shoot what he has and enjoy it!!

Drilling Man
Old 08-10-2006, 08:15 AM
bigcountry

Well, you can bet you will be safe from those pesky charging rhinos and cape buffalos in your neighborhood.

I say keep the 300win and use or get him a nice 338win mag. Always use another gun.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:57 PM

I would personally suggest the 7mm rem mag, your lookin at a large sized casing with a large amount of powder. the kenitic energy out of this bullet is very well plus not to mention its a good long range rifle. Id personally go with a remington 700 sps or a ruger m77 mark 3 both are extremely accurate out of box guns have good stocks and will serve you well. Id choose a 24 inch barrel, it would be just the right size for long distance shots as well as keeping it short for quick pull ups in close quarters shooting situations. lastly the 7mag (.284) dia bullet can be found in a large variety of factory and reloading ammo, you could use a 139 grn for deer all the way up to a 185 for elk or moose.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Typical Buck

You'd have to get a markV to get the 30-378 id say. Theres alwats the 338-378 too. Or the 7.21 lazzeroni firebird!!
Old 08-11-2006, 02:04 AM

ORIGINAL: hartshot101

I would personally suggest the 7mm rem mag, your lookin at a large sized casing with a large amount of powder. the kenitic energy out of this bullet is very well plus not to mention its a good long range rifle. Id personally go with a remington 700 sps or a ruger m77 mark 3 both are extremely accurate out of box guns have good stocks and will serve you well. Id choose a 24 inch barrel, it would be just the right size for long distance shots as well as keeping it short for quick pull ups in close quarters shooting situations. lastly the 7mag (.284) dia bullet can be found in a large variety of factory and reloading ammo, you could use a 139 grn for deer all the way up to a 185 for elk or moose.
I myself shoot a 7mag, but havn't shot it yetand thanks for da info/suggestion.. I will note all of these. thanks everyone,But reallythe main reason why he wants to retire this gun and use it as a back up gun is b/c say were out on the field and he slips and fall (Pray to god it won't happen) he has no other rifle to hunt with but my/our 30-30.. and we are elk hunters and i belive that 30-30 would drop and elk butits something on the edge mark..

And todayi was talkin to him about rifles and calibers, he really likes the Browning A-bolt medallion and thecartridge that i brought to his attention was the 325wsm.. Any comments about that cartridge... Any difference in the feild between the 325wsm and the 338wm? Which would you pick i have seen the ballistics on the two not much differnce but there isa difference so to say. i do belivethe 325wsmis faster that the 300 win mag with 180 grain by like 110fps and not much differnce in muzzle nrg between the 338 and the 325. Wat would you consider cartridege wise and model wise.. As said before ideas are welcomed right now its jsut a jumble of ideas till we narrow down the "one".. Thanks and ideas are open...