Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 6.5x55 Swede >

6.5x55 Swede

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

6.5x55 Swede

Old 08-08-2006, 12:41 PM

Default 6.5x55 Swede

Hi,

I was just hoping to get some information from other people that may have a 6.5x55. I just picked one up this weekend and have yet to shoot it. If you have any good loads that you would like to share that would be nice too. I'd be interested in hearing what you have hunted with it as well. I hear it's a heck of a round!!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 6.5x55 Swede

Well, I have an old Mauser action 6.5x55, and it's my favourite gun for anything I hunt. I've just been shooting plain-jane 140 grain Winchesters, but hope to start reloading soon. This gun hardly has any recoil, I've sighted this gun in with a t-shirt and with the stocksteel butt plate, have shot quite a few rounds with it, so that shows it doesn't recoil much. I've taken two deer with it, and it worked out good. My dad will be carrying mine on a moose hunt this fall, and if one steps out broadisde within 100 yards, it's going down. Here's a picture of the doe I took with this rifle

As you can see in the picture mine's a "compact" gun (18 inch tube on it and weighs about 6 pounds). One of the other things this has going for it is it's accuarcy as they use it for competition shooting. All in all, this is my favourite calibre for anything smaller than a moose(the .35 Whelen gets the nod for that work), but many have taken moose with it (Rebel Hog). It has low recoil, accurate and is just plain fun to shoot. Hope this helped.

Cory

P.S. What kind of rifle is yours?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: KonaBoy

Well, I have an old Mauser action 6.5x55, and it's my favourite gun for anything I hunt. I've just been shooting plain-jane 140 grain Winchesters, but hope to start reloading soon. This gun hardly has any recoil, I've sighted this gun in with a t-shirt and with the stocksteel butt plate, have shot quite a few rounds with it, so that shows it doesn't recoil much. I've taken two deer with it, and it worked out good. My dad will be carrying mine on a moose hunt this fall, and if one steps out broadisde within 100 yards, it's going down. Here's a picture of the doe I took with this rifle

As you can see in the picture mine's a "compact" gun (18 inch tube on it and weighs about 6 pounds). One of the other things this has going for it is it's accuarcy as they use it for competition shooting. All in all, this is my favourite calibre for anything smaller than a moose(the .35 Whelen gets the nod for that work), but many have taken moose with it (Rebel Hog). It has low recoil, accurate and is just plain fun to shoot. Hope this helped.

Cory

P.S. What kind of rifle is yours?
Way to go Cory! I shot the moose with Norma 156gr "Alaska" ammo using a Ruger M77.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:23 PM

I ahve a carl Gustave with cut down millitary stock, and bent bolt. Has a cheap bushnell on it. Shoots great. But I am sorry to say that all I use is the 140 grain Remington corelokt. I hear that Sellier and Bellot have some pretty good loads.
okcmco
Old 08-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

For all around big game, the 140 grain bullet is all you need. I shot a bunch of deer with the 140 grain Hornady's. Mine has taken moose and Black Bear as well. Also with the 140 grain bullets. I have loaded the 160 grain Hornady RN for short range moose and Bear. It will take down about anything that you will find in NA and gives up little or nothing to the 270 and 30-06.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 PM

an outstanding mid range calibre. the 6.5mm has a sectional density equivalent to much heavier projectiles in the 308 range, so has surprisingly efficient "killing power" with little or no objectionable recoil. i'm surprised that more companies don't chamber for it. Ruger do, likewise Howa, but other than that, you have to look at the europeans.Rem certainly don't, nor weatherby in either Mark V or vanguard.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Typical Buck

A truly great and somewhat overlooked cartridge. I used to have a mauser swede also. Loved that rifle. I will get another one day.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:40 AM

I have a military rifle that was sporterized by Kimber. It has a Leopld 1 1/2x5 power scope and I replaced the trigger with one from Timney and changed the safety to a Winchester style one. For deerI use Rem 140 gr Corelokts, they shoot about 1 1/4 groups if I do my part. So far I have only taken one deer with it a 204lb buck.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:47 PM

Thanks to all of you for the replys. Good job on the deer Cory. Mine is a CZ 550 American. I have several other rifles too, but always like the idea of the 6.5x55. Would you feel out of place with one in the elk woods?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WAredneck

Thanks to all of you for the replys. Good job on the deer Cory. Mine is a CZ 550 American. I have several other rifles too, but always like the idea of the 6.5x55. Would you feel out of place with one in the elk woods?
With premiuim bullets (ofat least140 grains, Norma makes a 156 grain if you're shooting factory and Hornady makes a 160 grainbullet if you reload) and keeping shots under 200, preferably around under 150, I wouldn't feel to out of place.

Cory

Quick Reply: 6.5x55 Swede

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.