Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 336

Old 07-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Marlin 336

I might be going on another gun buying binge

I always wanted a lever action rifle to hunt with. No scope, nothing fancy, just a good ol' solid rifle...I have been looking around, and I believe I want to get the Marlin 336. I really like the SS but it's pricey. All in all how's the gun? Are the sights good? Should I mess with the cross bolt? I'm thinking of just sticking with the 30-30....Any comments welcome!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Marlin 336

whats not to like about a 336? They are short, fairly light, mild recoil, and inexpensive (as far as guns go today). My dads 336 had accounted for more deer than i'll likely kill in my lifetime.

When i comes to short range shooting there are few guns better suited. The factory sites are functional but you may look at replacing them if you are only going to be using iron sites. There are better made/more accurate sights. But again there is nothing wrong with the factory sites.

The cross bolt safety is a nice feature IMHO. My dads doesn't have it, my 1895G does. I typically carry mine at half cock with safety on then cock it at the stand and release the safety if a shot presents itself. When my dad carried it he had it half cocked and saftey off, just like his 336. To each their own, you'll find your own way to do it.

The .30-30 is a fine close range deer offering. Using round nose ammo the shooting is limited to 100 yards, maybe 150 is you know what your doing. The new Leverevolution ammo may be a different story though. I haven't read much about it.

A gun safe is not complete without a lever gun or three [&:]

go gettcha one. you may find a new favorite rifle!!!! I did when i bought the 1895!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt in IL

I might be going on another gun buying binge

I always wanted a lever action rifle to hunt with. No scope, nothing fancy, just a good ol' solid rifle...I have been looking around, and I believe I want to get the Marlin 336. I really like the SS but it's pricey. All in all how's the gun? Are the sights good? Should I mess with the cross bolt? I'm thinking of just sticking with the 30-30....Any comments welcome!
I'd buy an old one without the crossbolt safety, in excellent condition, which are not hard to find. I'd also get it in.45/70 or .35 Rem. rather than.30/30. then I'd trashcan thesights and put a Williams Foolproof aperture on the rear anda Redfield Sourdough type up front, if I could find one the correct height.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would just jump up to a Marlin Guide Gun. Non ported.

Tom
Old 07-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cartman308
The .30-30 is a fine close range deer offering. Using round nose ammo the shooting is limited to 100 yards, maybe 150 is you know what your doing. The new Leverevolution ammo may be a different story though. I haven't read much about it.
I agree.... I have a Marlin 30AS (cheaper version of the 336) and it is a great brush gun and thick heavy woods gun. I limit myself to shots of maybe 100 yards, if that far.

I had a scope on mine (an old Glenfield 4x32 scope), but it lost its "zero", so it took it off. Now shooting the 30-30 with plain iron sights is okay, but I just have to concentrate in low light. Besides, I kind of like it without a scope. It's more classic and more traditional looking.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:34 PM

THere are great guns.. I have one in a 30-30 and i hunted with it for 4 years and Its been accounted for three.There great accurate guns n imma keep mine for ever!!! N its gonna be on every trip along with my new 7mag.!!!!!! But its a great gun and i would post mine on the internet but i'd rather not....
Old 07-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the comments everyone. Going to go look at some this weekend.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like the other guys said - check the used rack. A lot of good 336s can be found in good shape. I have on in 35 Rem and also an 1895 guide gun in 45-70. They are nice reliable rifles. I put a Williams peep sight on my 35 and it is surprisingly accurate. I had this same sight on my 1895 but replaced it with a 4X scope. If you want or need a peep sight for your Marlin, let me know.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Marlin 30-30. .35, and .450 and I love them all. Everybody always wants to borrow them whenever they go out hog hunting. Though most of them don't like shooting the .450 more than once. It is debateable which end is worse.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

From the way y'all sound I might get shot for this reply, BUT...

I personally prefer Winchester's Model 94. I must say though, right now you'll have to pay WAY too much for one, if you can find one.
I've read all of the tests and magazines that all say that the 336 is a better 30-30 than Winchester ever dreamed of being, but I still love em!

I've got 4 of them and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.

Again, JMO.

The 336 is undoubtedly a great gun. And 30-30 is hard to beat in a lever gun,butI also really like my 44 mag. As always, depends on what you want to do with your lever gun.
I have to say, if I had to choose my favorive caliber lever gunbetween the ones I have, I'd say my 444.

Quick Reply: Marlin 336

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.