Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag >

7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

Old 08-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

I have loaded some 140 BT's @ 3288 in my 7mm saum. If I go to montana next year as planned Im going to load some accubonds @ 3250 for the long shots. Ultra mag, with all the recoil, it unwanted by me. I wouldnt trade my saum for 2 ultras
Old 08-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldnt trade my saum for 2 ultras
And I wouldn't trade my ultramag for your saum.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

We know you wouldnt, stubblejumper To each his own though bro. Theyre both very awesome. A 7mm ultra can do endless things with handloads.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

And I wouldn't trade my 7mm Rem Mag Tikka for either the SAUM or WSM. Just pretty much all the same, although mine isn't quite a .5 MOA like yours and others. She will do MOA all day though and I like her a lot! Plus the removeable magazine is very handy for quick unloads after hunting all day or those bad days when you don't want to leave the truck until you have to.

Here she is for all to enjoy. Wearing a synth. stock now too, I just can't take good enough care of wood. Good glass makes a difference so she's wearing a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 and it was well worth the money (cost the same as the gun but worth it). Used to use a Nikon 3x9 but that cost me an animal or two during low light hunting so had to upgrade.

Here's how she shoots my Accubond handloads. Plenty good enough for hunting.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

It would be pretty hard to improve on the tikka in 7mmremmag for an all around big game rifle.Add a 3x9x40 conquest on leupold mounts,and the overall cost is still quite reasonable.You could spend a lot more money and not gain any practical advantage over this combination.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

I like that rifle alot.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:22 PM

I have a Remington 7mm mag. It's a great gun kicks harder than my 30-06 but it's not too bad. One thing I can tell you is it destroys whitetails depending on what bullets you are using. I guarantee it would drop an elk no problem. I had an exit hole you could put a beer can in on the last deer I shot. The whole front half of the deer where the bullet entered was complete jello. I think I would pass on the Ultra mag and just get a 300 mag if you are worried about stopping power. They will shoot flatter than a 7mm mag and you can use heavier bullets.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think I would pass on the Ultra mag and just get a 300 mag if you are worried about stopping power. They will shoot flatter than a 7mm mag and you can use heavier bullets.
The 300winmag can use heavier bullets than the 7mmremmag,however the 7mmremmag actually has a slightly flatter trajectory when you use the same bullet style and a similar sectional density.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

I would go with a proven and more common 7mm Rem Mag. I personally don't see a need for the SAUM and WSSM rounds, why reinvent the wheel. It remains to be seen whether or not these new calibers will ever catch on. I personally wouldn't buy a rifle chambered for them. Shot placement is the key and familiarity with your rifle and how it shoots are the most important things.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Typical Buck

Short mags are here to stay, like it or not. Can't say the same for the super shorts. The 7mm 300, 325, 270, all these are going to stick around. There's a whole new era of shooters coming up that will make their first rifle a short. If they do the same thing a long mag can with less recoil, why not. Don't knock em till you've tried them. People who we're shooting before shoet mags will never except them but the new generation of shooters will eat them up. If I ever get a 300, it will also be a short mag.

Quick Reply: 7 mag vs. 7 ultra mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.