Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger Compact V.S. Remington Model 7 >

Ruger Compact V.S. Remington Model 7

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Compact V.S. Remington Model 7

Old 07-18-2006, 07:21 PM

Default Ruger Compact V.S. Remington Model 7

Ok guys. I'm new to this site but not new to guns and hunting.
I have decided to buy a new rifle in 7mm-08. I have it narrowed down to the Ruger compact Laminate /stainless and the model remington Model7 in blued laminate. I Really like the way the ruger fits and handles. I like the way the 7 handles And the Action seems smoother also. I have two rugers now and I love both of them. One is a MKI in 30-06 and one is a MKII 77/22 All weather. Neither has let me down and are more accurate than they should be. I like the idea of a short action quick handling gun for the MI Woods. The shots most likley be less than 200 yds. The debate I'm having with my self is the 7 has a 20" barrel and the ruger has a 16.5" barrel. The 20" having more velocity and possibly more accuracy. I am a good shot but don't know if I'd notice the difference in barrel length under te 200 yds. I have good about both and believe both are quality rifles which would you pick and why. Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 08:45 PM

Default RE: Ruger Compact V.S. Remington Model 7

I have a model seven in 260rem and it is outstanding in every respect, it is light and well balanced, quite accurate and the bolt is very smooth for a stainless rifle.
I strongly recommend buying one.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:53 PM

In your situation I suggest, get both models in front of you, one at a time drop to your side one-handed in a relaxed position, pull to shooting position quickly. I bet that due to the vast difference betweenRemingtons andRugersas far feel/fit one will be morenatural. BUY THAT ONE. Though all of your concerns are valid and should be considered when making a purchase,the proper fit should carry a lot of weight.Both are super firearms.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned a couple of Ruger Ultralights and a coule of model 7s. I like them both but I wouldn't buy a 16" barrel for a hunting rifle. You are giving up quite a bit of velocity there and would have a nasty muzzle blast which affects hunters more than recoil usually.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 PM

I agree with TerryM, 16.5" barrel is giving up too much in my opinion, half of your charge will be a fireball!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would go with the Model 7...And I shoot a Ruger...but I couldn't stand that short barrel....My brother has a Model 7 in 7mm-08 and a hunting partner has a Model 7 in .260...They both love them...I wouldn't own them either, because of the shorter barrel...

I would buy the Remington, because I can adjust the trigger....My Ruger is 1980 model and before it left the store I had the trigger adjusted...A good trigger is important for good shoting especially with a lighter gun...Good Luck
Old 08-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't buy into the short barrel therory. The Encore in 7mm-08, 260, and 308, perform very well with 15 inch barrels. Its true that I would choose a longer barrel in a rifle but you won't loose much effective range or velocity with the 16.5 inch barrel.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:03 PM

I'll restate, the particular calibers mentioned are designed to be fired from at least a 20" barrel/ If you want a short barrel brush gun a different caliber with a faster burning powderwould be a better choice. At 100 yards you may not notice a change, but at 300 yards should the opportunity present itself there is a substantiallack of performance in the extreme short barrels, better to have and not need than want and not have.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got my daughter a Ruger Compact in .243. I've hunted with it a few times myself. I kinda liked that short barrel for still hunting. I feel I can shoot it better, offhand than I can my own rifle, a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 30.06.

I will say, it has a good bit of recoil, for being just a .243.My daughter complained when we took it out to the range. I was surprised how much it kicked, the first time I fired it. A Limbsaver recoil pad fixed the problem, though.

The Model 7 is also a nice rifle but I have no experience with it.

You can't go wrong with either one. Good Luck making a choice.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a Ruger compact in .243 also. Well, actually I bought it for my son, but technically I own it.

I think if I had to do it over again I'd buy something else. I don't like the short barrel. The muzzle blast is pretty fierce, especially when using slowish powders like IMR 4350 and you do sacrifice some velocity. I think I'm going to have it rebarreled in the next year or two with a 20" barrel and have it chambered for the .260 or maybe the 7-08.

Quick Reply: Ruger Compact V.S. Remington Model 7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.