Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Save it or try it out? >

Save it or try it out?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Save it or try it out?

Old 07-06-2006, 09:06 PM

Default Save it or try it out?

Currently use a bolt action 30-06 for mule deer but just purchaseda new in the box never been shot lever action Winchester 30-30 that I would love to shoot for memories sake. Do I save the 30-30 for value or break it out?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:08 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Save it or try it out?

If it can't be shot, it ain't a gun. I say shoot it.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:13 PM

Shoot it if you want to. The 30-06 would reach out further though.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

My advice to you would be to keep the new-in-box like it is, and pick up a decent used shooter to bang around with. JMHO.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:25 PM
DM

For the 30-30 to gain any real value you will have to pass it on to one of your kids... OR, live one he!! of a long time!!

Take it out and shoot it! The real value is in the enjoyment of useing it!!

Drilling Man
Old 07-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

That unfired .30-30 Win., may be worth some money in the future. Good luck
Old 07-07-2006, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless it's a pre-64 Winchester, shoot it. The value between fired and unfired won't be that much. Not every gun with a "Winchester" stamped on it is destined to be collectable. The ordinary ones are common as dirt.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

If it can't be shot, it ain't a gun. I say shoot it.
I am that way with everything, guns, bows, turkey calls, etc...... I won't buy one to put on a shelf. If I buy it it goes with me to the field. Know guys that sold guns cause they couldn't bare taking it to the field. They were meant to be there, that is why they make em. If you are gonna be afraid, or hang it on the wall, buy a cheaper one and use it.

Why I wonder why folks spend money on turkey calls that sit on shelves. If I was to buy a Neil Cost it would go to the field with me. Doubt Mr. Cost made em to be on a shelf.

Goes back, if it is just gonna be a show piece, sell or donate it to a museum, but if you acquired it for hunting, hunt and hunt hard! [8D]
Old 07-07-2006, 05:55 AM

Despite the buying frenzy of the last couple of months, with over six million 1894s produced, current ones are not going to increase in value in any substantial way in the short term. By short term, i mean at least the next 10 to 20 years. Just my opinion.

With Olin still owning the Winchester name, I cannot see Winchester leaving permenently. Somebody WILL buy the rights to the name, and I strongly suspect 1894s will be produced again, with the Winchester name on them.

If it were mine, I would shoot it.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Every single gun made was new in the box at one time or another. There would be a whole lot of people out there going hungry if no one ever shot their guns, hoping they would magically turn into collectors items before they died.

It's just a model 94...... nothing special about it. There are millions of them out there.

If it were a pre-1964 model 94 new in the box then that's another story. But I'm kind of doubting that though cause you would have paid out the wazoo to get it and wouldn't need to ask this question.

Quick Reply: Save it or try it out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.