Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 rem742 woodmaster >

rem742 woodmaster

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rem742 woodmaster

Old 07-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default rem742 woodmaster

i just bought a 742 in 30-06 for a good deal but never owned one thinkin of using it for pig huntin and such im partial 2 my bolt guns for magority of my hunting,any one thats has onewhat types of expericaneshave yall had wiht these older modles autos any response is aprreciated and anything 2 look for in particular ty
Old 07-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rem742 woodmaster

they are the best semi auto rifle remington ever made. its a shame they did away with the design and come out with that pos 7400.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own two of them. And let me tell you I can't keep them working I have had them to the gunsmith more times then I can count and spent more money on them then they are worth. I have one with the gunsmith now won't close right and when I get it closed I have a real hard time opening it,and it won't fire. The other one is waiting to go back to the gunsmith because it won't feed the new shell right so the chamber is not closing all the way. I bought them both used the first one I used for 3 years before problems developed and the second I bought for what I thought was a good deal from the wife of a friend who had passed away and that gun has never worked right. Sorry to be the barrer of bad news. I called remington and asked then about it and the guy they finnially transfered me to was a real butt head but he did tell be that these guns were known for this problem after time and that they were hard to repair if at all. And thats why they replaced them with the 7400. Now he woulden't tell me why they replaced the 7400 with the new 750. Like I said he was a real butt head. Tipical of the Remmington service Reps. I find. Good luck I hope you got yourself a good one. Mike
Old 07-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Banned

Never owned one but on a lot of forums they refer to them as the ''jam master''. The 7400's are suppossed to be better.HCH
Old 07-04-2006, 08:49 AM
DM

Between my father and myself we've had 4 or 5 (or more) 742's around over the years. Long time ago we had one that acted up and dad sent back to Rem. for repairs, they replaced the receiver... The rest of them have been reliable and all have been plenty accurate for hunting use.

At the same time we've had several Browning auto's too. In general the Brownings were more accurate and less reliable. That is if you let them get any fowling in them at all. They had to be cleaned much more often than the Rems.!! The reason dad "really" wanted the Brownings was to get magnum cartridges!! We were doing quite a bit of moose hunting and where we hunted we were getting long shots... These days the Brownings are gone and we have a 742 in 30-06 around...

I'm going easy on my 742, it's only used for hunting, no more target shooting with it, as once they go bad i'm not sure you will ever beable to get it right again! I've heard there's quite a few of them floating around on dealers racks with bad receivers....

Drilling Man

Old 07-04-2006, 10:05 AM
bigcountry

Alot of the stories, you hear on forums is based off of hearsay. When you start digging, you find out most never even had one.

I myself have had a 7400 for over 2 decades and have killed more deer than you could count. It only shot 2MOA or there abouts with coreloks, but didn't need any more than that when I lived in WV/Ky. I went on to more sexy rifles, and then moved to a slug state, and it sat collecting dust for 5 years. So I took it out last year and shot a doe. Still worked fine.

There are people who has had issues. Even after all the cleaning. But when you get one that will eject good, your set. I don't recommend it for a target gun. Just sight her in every year, and take it hunting, and I bet ya it will last a lifetime.

I was having POI issues, and I found the forarm, needed to be adjusted not to push on the reciever when tighteing the forarm down.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

I had one in 243 win,it worked fine when new,as it got alittle use on it it started to jam. I kept it clean in the bolt area also. It didn't likereloads at all. Seems like the only loads that it would shoot where the 80gr Rem corlocks. I gave it to the wife to use during deer season,and she hated the rifle!!! I was at a gun show and this guy had a Browning Gold Medalion in 243 did a trade for $70 and I was a happy camper!!!!
Old 07-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a lot of deer with a 742 30-06 until it got stolen. I have owned 3 of them and never had a problem with any of them. I kept them religously clean though. Most important thing is the brush as well as making sure the shells are aligned in the mag right. Im currently looking for another as I had to sell my last one during the winter.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

I had one in 30-06, i tried it out, it jammed and I got rid of it.They are a pretty gun but they just jam to easy.Some people Have had them forever and never had problem.But I think more have had problems then not.
Good luck
Old 07-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

First let me answer the question about why Remington redesigned the 7400 and call it the 750: They redesigned the gas system for two reasons one more reliable, second they will be chambering it in Short mags soon (next year maybe).

More guys than not shoot them at the club I belong, and they all jammed real good. I spent every evening the first season cleaning there guns and have worked except a few time in the last 7 years. Because the bore and barrel can't be reached with a cleaning rod from thebreach people neglect them. Additionally they clean them from the front and push all the fouling into the bolt area, solvent gels up and they stop working. So my experence is you will either need to strip the gun to parade rest and clean the gas system and boltwith karosene or deisel, then 91% isopropel. Scrub the barrel and chamber with Sweet's 7.62 bore solvent alot with bore brushes and jagsuntil it's clear or green and black, then use 91% isopropel alcahol until it's clean of all Sweets 7.62 and let dry. Clean again with Sweet's and alcahol. Then clean the inside of the action and trigger assemblywith regular petro based powder solvent, tooth brush and qtips, clean with alcahol, thendo it again. Reassmble using dry film lube on the inner workings of the bolt and trigger assembly, useA LITTLE Mil-comm TW-25B or Wilson Combat ultima lube grease on the rails the bolt cycles on and piston/o-rings of the gas system.

If your not compfortable enough to do this take it to a good gunsmith and have it done.

Quick Reply: rem742 woodmaster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.