Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only >

Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only

Old 06-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only

Just wondering...does Savage have an accuracy guarantee?

No doubton the net that they have a reputaion for accuracy. Does everyone that leaves the factory shoot well.....I dont think so, if they did ...they would have a guarantee. Everyone can have their own opinions but until they do, I aint beleiving it. Now Cooper does and they wont let a mediore rifle leave...plain and simple. I know one group doesnt mean much , but these are good representatives

Old 06-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure here but I wouldn't get excitd about it anyway.....Some of the Vanguards hav a sub MOA guarantee.....but with a hunting bullet?...with a matchking?...

Ruger does.....I asked their customer service over the phone and they told me their #1 varmint rifles is warranteed to shoot 1.5" groups at 50 yards.....is that the type of warranty one wants?????

The problem with guarantees is that who's doing the shooting?....with what loads?...under what conditions?...over the hood or from a bench.....

I'd far rather buy from a company that has a reputation for accuracy.....Warranties are nice but not as good as it seems.....
Old 06-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remington 700 PSS, .223,hands down better than any Savage made. Savage quality just isn't quite up to par with others yet...
Old 06-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

No doubton the net that they have a reputaion for accuracy. Does everyone that leaves the factory shoot well.....I dont think so, if they did ...they would have a guarantee.
They have a 1" guarentee on their Savage 10ml's...If it is not an actual advertised guarentee I know it is an implicit guarentee.

If they are willing to back their muzzleloaders in that manner....nuf said..

(As for the Cooper's...of course they are one ofthe best...however they are also not at all in the price league of the brands mentioned...)

Savage 10ml...
Old 06-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a seperate note...Anyone who is really interested in this subject and has not at least looked into the new "Savage Model 12 Precision Varminter" is doing themselves a great diservice.

From Petzal on down...the reviews have been incredible. Petzal was shooting handloads to .319", while Jeff Quinn shot black hills to 3/16th"

Savage's newest varmint rifle is called the Long Range Precision Varminter, and is the subject of this review. I recently received a sample chambered for the .223 Remington cartridge, which is one of the most popular cartridges for long range varmint hunters, such as those who shoot prairie dogs. Most prairie dog hunters want a heavy barrel to absorb heat, and the Precision Varminter provides that. This varmint rifle wears a heavy, stainless, one-inch diameter twenty-six inch long target-crowned barrel with a one-in-nine inch rifling twist. This rifle also has no magazine. It has a solid-bottomed receiver that has no magazine cut-out, which provides extra rigidity to the action. The action is bedded into the H-S Precision stock using three bolts which firmly hold the action through a solid aluminum bedding block. The stock has a matte black slightly textured finish and a beavertail forearm. It is fitted with front and rear sling swivel studs, and has a solid synthetic rubber recoil pad. The black and stainless make for a very good-looking, business-like rifle. The barrel is free-floated its entire length. The action has a right-handed bolt, but a left-hand loading/ejection port. This allows the right-handed shooter to easily open the bolt with his right hand and eject the fired cartridge into his left palm, if desired. It also makes loading the rifle very simple and easy. One simply drops a cartridge into the port, and closes the action. All rounds tested fed perfectly this way during the shooting sessions with this rifle. A shooter can get more rounds downrange quicker this way than by stopping every fifth round to load the magazine on a box magazine rifle. The bolt knob is large and easy to grasp. The AccuTrigger releases crisply, and the release measured two pounds and two ounces on this rifle, adjusted to its lowest setting. The rifle weighed in at eleven pounds and thirteen ounces.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went to a Sako varmint model 75 in .223. Just couldn't get my Remington to work well enough.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

But this gun is only a single shot!! I can fit 7 rounds in my 700 PSS.

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

On a seperate note...Anyone who is really interested in this subject and has not at least looked into the new "Savage Model 12 Precision Varminter" is doing themselves a great diservice.

From Petzal on down...the reviews have been incredible. Petzal was shooting handloads to .319", while Jeff Quinn shot black hills to 3/16th"

[align=left]Savage's newest varmint rifle is called the Long Range Precision Varminter, and is the subject of this review. I recently received a sample chambered for the .223 Remington cartridge, which is one of the most popular cartridges for long range varmint hunters, such as those who shoot prairie dogs. Most prairie dog hunters want a heavy barrel to absorb heat, and the Precision Varminter provides that. This varmint rifle wears a heavy, stainless, one-inch diameter twenty-six inch long target-crowned barrel with a one-in-nine inch rifling twist. This rifle also has no magazine. It has a solid-bottomed receiver that has no magazine cut-out, which provides extra rigidity to the action. The action is bedded into the H-S Precision stock using three bolts which firmly hold the action through a solid aluminum bedding block. The stock has a matte black slightly textured finish and a beavertail forearm. It is fitted with front and rear sling swivel studs, and has a solid synthetic rubber recoil pad. The black and stainless make for a very good-looking, business-like rifle. The barrel is free-floated its entire length. The action has a right-handed bolt, but a left-hand loading/ejection port. This allows the right-handed shooter to easily open the bolt with his right hand and eject the fired cartridge into his left palm, if desired. It also makes loading the rifle very simple and easy. One simply drops a cartridge into the port, and closes the action. All rounds tested fed perfectly this way during the shooting sessions with this rifle. A shooter can get more rounds downrange quicker this way than by stopping every fifth round to load the magazine on a box magazine rifle. The bolt knob is large and easy to grasp. The AccuTrigger releases crisply, and the release measured two pounds and two ounces on this rifle, adjusted to its lowest setting. The rifle weighed in at eleven pounds and thirteen ounces.[/align]
Old 06-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

But this gun is only a single shot!! I can fit 7 rounds in my 700 PSS.
No offense, (and I am the first to admit I am nota varmint hunter)...but, as I understand it a "qualified" varmint shootercan shoot 7 shots out of this rig at the same speed or more likely faster than you could shoot 7 rounds out ofyour gun... at that point even if you kept up for the first seven shots you would then be left in the dust come shots 8-9-10 etc

If you didn't notice...or are not aware, this setup is prefered by many varmint hunters. It loads as quicker or quicker than using a mag, and more importantly is right hand bolt-left hand ported meaning your hand is already in postition to make any neccesary AO adjustment to your scopes in one motion as you are loading and acquiring your next target.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Banned

jcartboy, you got it. here is the gun. It has an extra heavy bull bbl and a very solid receiver. http://www.savagearms.com/12PrecVarm.htm
The New Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

The newest rifle to the widely acclaimed 12 Series Varmint, the model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter, not only defines accuracy, it sets a new standard in long range shooting. The very best in the series, it features an extra heavy barrel--one inch in diameter--and a smaller ejection port that gives more rigidity to the receiver and enhances the accuracy for more precise shooting. The right bolt, left port, also makes it easier to reload with your free hand. This new model comes equipped with the revolutionary AccuTrigger--allowing you to adjust trigger pull from approximately 1 1/2 to 6 lbs, easily. The HS-Precision stock features an alluminum bedding block chassis system and all barrels are button rifled and free floating to enhance the accuracy.
The Model 12 Precision Varminter
[*]Right bolt, left port
[*]Smaller ejection port giving more rigidity to the receiver for enhanced accuracy
[*]H-S Precision black synthetic varmint stock with alloy bedding system
[*]Stainless 26" extra heavy barrel, 1" in diameter
[*]AccuTrigger, easily adjustable from approximately 1 1/2 to 6 lbs
[*]Chambered in 223 Rem; 204 Ruger, 22-250 Rem
[*]Drilled and tapped for scope mounts
[*]MSRP $967.00
Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 PM

I think we should keep this friendly. but my opinion is if you cant doit the first shot dont do it at all.

Quick Reply: Varmint Rifle Poll..Factory guns only

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.