Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
what are boat tail bullets designed to do? >

what are boat tail bullets designed to do?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what are boat tail bullets designed to do?

Old 11-01-2002, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default what are boat tail bullets designed to do?

What are the characteristics of boattail bullets? Are they good for hunting? Do they expand well, not expand well, hold together well, etc.? Would they be good at anchoring deer (200 lbs and smaller) at close shots (inside of 100 yds.) from a 30-06?

I ask because I generally don't get good expansion from my 30-06 on smaller deer at close ranges, and therefor don't get a lot of blood for tracking?

If not, what are some recommendations for bullet brand/type/weight for my 3006 for close deer?

Old 11-01-2002, 08:58 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: what are boat tail bullets designed to do?

BT's are designed for high ballistic coef. for flat shooting. They get a little less penetration than a spiral point would. As far as expansion, depends on the design. Lots of different ones do lots of different stuff. For small deer at close ranges up to 200 yards, I think the bullistic tips from nosler are the ticket. For real big deer and mulies, the scirroco's, for moose and bear, the Partitions, A-Frames. Just do the homework. I haven't tried but hear the SST's are good for small deer.

Old 11-01-2002, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

If they are designed correctly they are great hunting bullets...there are a lot of factors working against them if they are not designed that way(core slippage). Generally in the smaller calibers under 33...Nosler BT's , Hornady SST's and regular BT and Sierra Bt's, Swift Scirroco work well ..depends on cartridge really.. In your 30-06 I have used 165 grain BT's Federal Ammo on a couple of deer with good results and it is a Sierra bullet manufactured by either Federal or Sierra for Federal. The advantage any boattail possesses (improved ballistic coefficient) and enhanced energy and velocity retention is noticeable beyond 300 yards. What kind of bullets are you using now on deer?
Old 11-01-2002, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

All I use on deer is BT, SST(this year) or Boattails. Believe me our deer ain't small many in the 300 range on the hoof. They have worked flawlessly. The reason I use them is: 1) accuracy 2) long distance shots 3) massive energy and damage released (shock or stop power) A Ballistic Tip (BT) and SST are designed to come unglued on impact(to release energy) they have a plastic tip that starts expansion on impact and helps in no deformation in the mag and loading, but supposedly hold retention (which isn't usually the case at high velocity and close range). What they offer is vital shock and trauma with the explosive type expansion, some exits and others stopped at the opposite side hide. They will leave a big blood trail and usually drop the animals with in 100 yards. I have seen large bucks fold on the shot with no exits or exits and yet others run a few yards then drop with both exit or no exit.

Boattails, have some of the same characteristics. Tapered rear portion to allow good flight and accurate. They are suppose to hold together better, but often tip oblong on impact and actually comer unglued quickly (especially high velocity and close range), they have the soft lead point so deformation can occur, changing flight. They basically do the same thing, since they are not flat based, the fly better and flatter, but do expand quicker and more. Shot results are similar to the BT. Some say the Boattail is stronger, however my experience has been they are pretty close to BT's. I prefer the BT's or SST due to accuracy over SP boattails...but that is splitting hairs really.

All types IMO are great Deer bullets. But you must ask yourself, where do I aim? If it is vitals than go for any of the above. If it is front shoulder or wheels, then stick to parts or flat based bullets that hold together better and expand slower. Out of an 06 most of my buds shoot Seirra or Hornady Boattails or BT or SST.(Federal Premium and Hornady Custom Ammo if you shelf buy)