Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Recoil reduction for 300 WSM... >

Recoil reduction for 300 WSM...

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil reduction for 300 WSM...

Old 06-20-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Recoil reduction for 300 WSM...

Hey great site here, I've been lurking around here for awhile. A friend of mine has a Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow in 300 WSM. He is bothered by the recoil and hence cannot shoot it very accurately. He is thinking of selling it and getting something smaller.My question is, what are some cost effective options to reduce the recoil? I suggested to him to get a Limbsaver recoil pad and if he can find someone that machines good muzzle brakes that aren't too expensive, I think he'd be open to that. He does not reload, although I do, and he hunts Antelope, Elk and Deer. Thanks- Josh
Old 06-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Recoil reduction for 300 WSM...

cost effective option = .308 or 30-06 but I hear a deer or antelope has not been killed by one of them in years. Seems their bones are bigger and their skin is thicker. Might be labeled as a sissy if you use one as well.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Banned

I would suggest that he gets a lead sled for sighting in and finding what ammo shoots the best. When hunting he will never feel recoil.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Get the Shooters Friend recoil pad from Cabelas. Its a slip on that reduces recoil by 70 percent. It works. No more pain at the range and it can be had for 18.00. I am here to tell you that it will take the sting out of bench shooting for good. Best product I have ever seen. If you try it let me know what you think of it. I have a couple of them.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would be very reluctant to recommend a lead sled..using this too much will damage your stock..no where for that energy to go and it will be transmitted to the stock. Get a Past Pad and I think Sims makes a pad as well that they just introduced.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

also remington has that ammunition for managed recoil...it would probably bring it down to about a 30-06 or a 308
Old 06-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I would be very reluctant to recommend a lead sled..using this too much will damage your stock..no where for that energy to go and it will be transmitted to the stock. Get a Past Pad and I think Sims makes a pad as well that they just introduced.
I have been using a lead sled for about a year now and have had NO damage to my guns. If the lead sled is assembled right, there is padding over all surfaces that touch the gun. I use 75 pounds of lead shot to weight mine down and love it for bench work. A Simms pad is an easier cheaper method to try first though. I have them on several of my guns and love them.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:18 PM

My Lead Sled has worked great for my 7mm and for shotgun patterning. No damage whatsoever.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been using a lead sled for about a year now and have had NO damage to my guns. If the lead sled is assembled right, there is padding over all surfaces that touch the gun
Your very lucky or not using a wood stock but probably pretty lucky anyway or you could be using a 22lr. Talk to a gunsmith that is worth a lick and ask him that same question.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would be very reluctant to recommend a lead sled..using this too much will damage your stock..no where for that energy to go and it will be transmitted to the stock.
Your mostly correct...only you forgot one other option...The energy also is delivered to your scope and mounts.[]

In fact I have a personal friend that shoots a .376 Steyr...(admittedly a stout recoiler). Heblew through three scope while using the "Lead Sled"....And not exactly cheap ones either...Two Conquests and one Burris Euro Diamond.

Not exactly "proof" that the lead sled is a scope killer....but certainly very likely to be "supporting evidence".

Speaking for myself...I will never use one...The reason is, the more likely you are to need to use one, (higher recoiling guns),the more likely you should not be using it, (highest recoiling guns on the lead sled are clearly the most likely to get damaged.)

Quick Reply: Recoil reduction for 300 WSM...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.