Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 11-87 or Benelli SBE II???? >

11-87 or Benelli SBE II????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

11-87 or Benelli SBE II????

Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 AM

Default RE: 11-87 or Benelli SBE II????

I would suggest that those seeking info go to the Benelli website and read the forum there. You should be able to get some valuable info. I have not been on there in probably a year, so I don't know how the discussions are going now, but when I was reading it there were people complaining and people lovin. There was much talk about proper cleaning, oiling, etc. with different opinions. One other discussion point when people were having problems was suggested that they weren't "shouldering" the gun properly. I have hunted with people that swear their SBE does not jam, but I have seen them jam in the field. The excuse I heard was, "Well, it isn't cleaned properly right now." Sorry, for a gun that expensive, it better go bang every time even if isn't cleaned or oiled just perfectly.

I am not trying to bash the SBE because like I said, I know many, many guys that use them and absolutely love them. I can't knock that at all. It is undisputable that they are absolutely the easiest to clean/maintain. If you do have to sell it, you will probably get a good price for your used one if you take care of it.

Quote from oldelkhunter, "Not sure where your buying your golds from but I see them in the high 800 to mid 900 range. In Fact my local Gander mountain has some SBE's that are priced right at that price range(last years model) and recently I was offered brand new camo versions at 850(marks outdoors,birmingham alabama this years model). Not taking anything away from the Gold but the SBE is a better shotgun..has IMHO much better handling and is easier to clean. Proof of the pudding is the dove operations in Argentina pretty much the only semi seen and what the owners use and recommendare SBE's because they can take the beating."

So you are saying where you are at a Gold Stalker sells for the same as a camo SBE???? That has not been my experience. In my post above I said that I got my son's gun off Gunbroker and gave the price. As for dove hunting in Argentina, I don't know anything about it and don't ever plan on doing it. Doubt most of the plain folks in the US will ever have the opportunity.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

So you are saying where you are at a Gold Stalker sells for the same as a camo SBE???
Nope but the opportunity is there if you shop carefully and no Golds don't sell for 1/2 price of a Benelli either. The Dove hunt in Argentina was brought up because no where in the world is a gun shot so frequently for long intervals and benellis not golds not remingtons not berettas are the shotgun of choice. I personally have never seen any Benelli jam so group me inwith the non believers. If you want an SBE for 850 in camo call Marks outdoors in Birmingham Alabama ..they have a website . They may still have some left
Old 06-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I have to agree with OEH. The Argentine Dove Shoot is the test for ANY shotgun. You have a personal loader next to you at all times, when your gun is empty, you are handed another loaded gun. This goes on for hours. Gun of choice, SBE.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:25 PM

$850 is an awesome price. I really haven't looked at them online, but here in SE Washington State I don't think you could touch one for $1200. I know if a person was buying one here for that price and ended up not liking it, they could probably get every penny back out of it. Within the last 5 years I have sold two of the older SBE's (one mine and one my dad's) here locally, both for $800 cash and within 2 days of being advertised. They were both black composite and in excellent shape.

Again, I would suggest those considering buying a new gun do 2 things. Read the Benelli Forum and talk to as many gunsmiths you can to see what problems with the different shotguns they see come into their shop.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bottom line they are both very good shotguns and the best in their class in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

The SBE is far better in the terms of quality over the 11-87. Not only is the SBE a ton lighter it also balances better for me with more weight towards the stock. The 11-87 has a barrel heavy balance for me. The SBE has more features like shims to adjust the stock and an automatic magazine cutoff. The SBE is easier to clean and stays cleaner a lot longer than the 11-87. I'll assume you are talking about the 3 1/2" 11-87. In this case neither will cycle lighter loads very well. None of the five or six SBE's that I know will cycle 1oz loads reliably. Not a big deal as a 3 1/2" model is geared for waterfowling where bigger loads are used.
The Inertia design is simple and clever but, has its uniuque flaws as well. The fact that the the US milatary uses a gas operated Benelli should tell you something.
You're more than likely to come across a Benelli M1/M2 or Montefeltro (both in 12 and 20 gauge) in Argentina than a SBE for doves. The Beretta AL391 is pretty popular down there as well.

Other good choices for a waterfowl shotgun besides the SBE's would include the Beretta Xtrema's, Browning Gold 3 1/2" and Silver 3 1/2", Franchi 912, and Winchester SX2 3 1/2". I like the SBE so much, I almost bought one but opted for a Gold 3 1/2" instead. There is also a SBE and SX2 3 1/2" owned in my group of buddies as well.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

This is the second time someone has referred to the Franchi 912. I looked on their website and am unable to find this product. I do see a I-12. Is this the same gun? There is also a 712. Let me know.

Thanks,
Old 06-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

This is the second time someone has referred to the Franchi 912. I looked on their website and am unable to find this product. I do see a I-12. Is this the same gun? There is also a 712. Let me know.
They are different models. The I-12 is a 3" Inertia operated model. The 712 is a 3" gas operated model. The 912 is a 3 1/2" gas operated model. The 912 is discontinued for 06'. There are still new912's on dealers racks. The 912, 712, and 612 all share the same gas system design. The Beretta Xtrema's are designed after this system.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:26 AM
bigcountry

I have had 1187's, golds, and 935's, and have had the opportunity to shoot the benellis. All fine guns. In fact, I was very impressed with the 935 for the price. It seems when you get a 935, its either brokeor works great. Not my first choice, but very nice.

I would like to have a benelli for goose/duck hunting. Most hunters don't need one. I bet 95% of turkey or upland game hunters won't need the feartures a benelli offers.

I duck hunt in the cheasapeake bay with 2ft waves of brackess water and 10-20F temps. This is where I bet the benelli can shine. But I have managed to do the same thing with 1187's and and my multiple golds. If it gets too much below 10F I don't go out in the bay.

If you have the budget and like to say, you got the best, then I say buy a benelli, but if you are really putting a hurtin on your family's budget, get a 1187, and if you can find a good gold for 450 to 500, then the quality feels so much better.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have the budget and like to say, you got the best, then I say buy a benelli

Interesting comment...

Quick Reply: 11-87 or Benelli SBE II????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.