Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Re-barrel my Browning? >

Re-barrel my Browning?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Re-barrel my Browning?

Old 06-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Re-barrel my Browning?

I have a Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker in 7mm Rem Mag with the 26" barrel. Ever since the last elk hunt my old man took it on (gun was too long to fit in scabbard right, maneuever in timber, etc.) I have been thinking of either cutting the barrel down to 24" or having a custom barrel made for it.

I have always wanted a lil heavier contour barrel in the gun, and maybe a nice custom stock as well. What do you guys think I should do? You don't see too many custom A-Bolts out there.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:25 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Re-barrel my Browning?

My smith rebarrels them, but they have to heat the action sometimes to remove the barrel. Its about the toughest barrel to remove. I say get it cut down. Usually decent barrels.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can tell you that some gunsmiths do not like rebarrelling A-bolts because it can be difficult to remove the factory barrel.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

After a barrel is cut down, is accuracy ever affected drastically? Right now the gun will shoot .5 to 1MOA all day long with almost any handload of mine I feed it. It really shoots the AccuBonds and TSXs very well.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:33 PM
bigcountry

Well if crowned correctly it shouldn't, but you might have to adjust you handloads some and if shooting factory things can change as the harmonics can change.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I've never had anything done like this before, how much does it usualy cost to have 2" chopped off and the barrel recrowned? And if I would decide on a custom barrel, who and where shoudl I start looking, as I would like to send the gun off now and have it back for deer season.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:53 PM

Buy a longer scabbard.
7mmRemMags and 26" are kinda are made for each other.

If you go to a barrel band front sling mount the rifle will ride lower on your shoulder if you are going thru the trees with it slung. Otherwise, if you are holding it in your hands, then I have a hard time believing that 2" is going to save the day, my long magnum action CZ's have 25.5" barrels and sure don't pose a problem to me, especially whenI carry it in my hands.

Still want shorter bolt action for elk?
Get a 30-06 or 338-06 in a 24" barrel.
Now you'll have two rifles and they will each be like they aredesigned to be!

By the time you screw around with a new barrel and a new stock you'll have a bunch into it.
Have your dad spring for it since he seems to be the one wanting to use it.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no desire to buy another rifle for elk, my Browning fits me like a glove and it shoots whereever I want it to. Old man only goes on an elk trip every couple years and he has the same results as me with the gun. I just found out tonite that I got turned down for my elk tags again this year

I realize that I will be loosing a lil velocity by going to a 24" tube, but I don't think any elk out to 400 yards will mind
Old 06-06-2006, 10:04 PM

"....fits me like a glove and it shoots whereever I want it to...."
You sure you're wanting to mess with this based on a "once every two or three years" event?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep because one of these years when I get some more money saved up I will be chasing elk every fall with either my 7mag or Hoyt in hand. Also would like to make my 7mag more user friendly for gettin in an out of pickups, stands, blinds, and carrying out west.

Quick Reply: Re-barrel my Browning?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.