Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Re-barrel my Browning? >

Re-barrel my Browning?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Re-barrel my Browning?

Old 06-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Re-barrel my Browning?

Sounds like you have an excuse to buy a new rifle. Take it and run while you can. Also sounds to me like something that I would regret, something that shoots that nice and to change it? Or build another.
I'veread that there is a bonding agent applied tobarrel before fitting to the actionin the newer brownings. My 'smith would charge $40-50 to cut and crown a barrel but I've only done it to MIL actions.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

Go buy a new scabbard. Cabelas sells ones that easily take a 26" barreled scoped rifle. As far as a 26" barrel being too long, I've never heard such nonsense unless one iscrawling into a thicket after a wounded animal. I've hunted the "black timber " out westto the swamps woods in the northeast and barrel length has never been an issue
Old 06-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think that two inches will make enough difference to mess with it. If you wanted to cut it down to 20 or so then it would be a lot easier to handle in the brush. But two inches won't make enough difference, for me anyway.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rammer

After a barrel is cut down, is accuracy ever affected drastically? Right now the gun will shoot .5 to 1MOA all day long with almost any handload of mine I feed it. It really shoots the AccuBonds and TSXs very well.
You have a .5 MOA gun and you want to cut the barrel

Old 06-07-2006, 05:00 PM

It's your gun, knock yourself out. I'd get a longer scabbard myself and keep the 1/2 MOA performer.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Get a ruger frontier, dont mess with that sweet gig! The dough it would take to "customize" it could be an excellent down payment on a new rifle. EJ
Old 06-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's your gun, knock yourself out. I'd get a longer scabbard myself and keep the 1/2 MOA performer.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

A nice barrel and its resulting installation will cost almost as much as a new Abolt. Ditto to the others that have said buy another rifle.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have had several 7 Mags with 24 inch barrels. I don't think you would suffer much velocity or accuracy loss. I love 26 inch barrel unless I can get them longer but if its handier for you to shorten it up a bit, I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

AAAARGH! Cut off a good shooting 26" barrel? Saints preserve us!

Quick Reply: Re-barrel my Browning?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.