Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22 or 24

Old 06-04-2006, 08:17 AM

Default RE: 22 or 24

More than anything, I was just considering optimal handling and balance on this rifle. I'm not looking for a light-weight rifle, nor is a 24 inch barrel too hard to move around. I was just wondering if there would be much of a performance difference in the two lengths; I thought I read somewhere that it would truely be negligable with the ought-six. I'm not a reloader, so I thought maybe I'd ask for some opinions on here.

Thank you.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

As for what else you may wish to consider for your new rifle, I would seriously recommend you get the factory trigger worked over, or install a quality aftermarket one. Triggers are a critical part to performance. JMHO.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:37 AM

No debate. I have all of mine set to 3 lbs. max.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is more to barrel length than velocity. Balance and muzzle blast are an element. The 06 has loads in a wide variety of weights. If one was dedicated to shooting heavier loads, you could go to a 20" barrel and not lose much statistically. But it would handle very differently. For some, any velocity gain is a big deal. In fact, with the very wide variety of .30 cartridges on the market, I think it is a very big deal in the US. Anyway, heft a few things to get an idea what suits you. I handled a Winchester 1885 High Wall in 325 WSM this weekend. Alot to like there. 28" barrel. Balanced real good to my feel. (Lets see. Do I need a 325 wsm?)
Old 06-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

If you find someone with an 22 inch barrel 06, shoot it at night. You will see just how much burn your have outside the barrel.
My 30-06 featherweight 22" barrel exits 180 grain bullets at 2,825'/sec and no animal I've ever shot it at cared a hoot about how much flash it had at night!...NOT ONE!!!!!

Frankly the effects at night are intertesting but totally irrelevant in the bigger game of killing things like elk. Further I'd forecast that if you can't do it with 180 grains at 2,800'/sec then you really ought to be looking at something like a 338 mag. or maybe a 375 H&H.

If one likes longer barrels then get them. However I can assure you that your 30-06 is not in the least handicapped with a 22" barrel.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:17 AM
bigcountry

If you find someone with an 22 inch barrel 06, shoot it at night. You will see just how much burn your have outside the barrel.
I used to think this too, but all reports by all powder mfgs said its complete hogwash and the powder is burned up within 6" of the barrel.

I still don't know for sure. But supposely, its be debunked several times.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anything else I should be thinking about instead?

Oh yes you would be much better off with a Kimber 8400 LA Montana in 06. You would save a lot of money in the long run and have a much better action.YOu have to wait for a custom to be built and that can take as little as a few months to a substantial length of time. The Kimbers should be delivering shortly. It will have a 24" barrel as well. http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/

I'm not looking for a light-weight rifle, nor is a 24 inch barrel too hard to move around.
Then why are you considering the edge stock and a Rem 700 action?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Generally, if you take two identical cartridges and fire them out of two different handguns, one with a short barrel, one with a longer barrel, the longer-barreled handgun will fire the bullet faster, farther and with a flatter trajectory.

Longer barrels give powder more time to burn behind the bullet, generating greater muzzle velocity and therefore downrange velocity. Also, being longer gives a barrel more time to impart spin to the bullet, helping ensure its accuracy.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I used to think this too, but all reports by all powder mfgs said its complete hogwash and the powder is burned up within 6" of the barrel.

I still don't know for sure. But supposely, its be debunked several times.
ive read that is only true for shotguns, now with rifles its totally different from caliber to caliber. I'll have to find the article that explain this, but I do remember part of the article on a specific caliber of interest of mine that I payed close attention to which is the 308 win. the article explained that a 308 win. needs a 28 inch barrel to efficiently ignite all of its powder, but the gases would still be expanding to an even longer length and that a 308 would have to be shot through a 20 foot barrel before it would experience bullet drag in the muzzle. anyway the article explained alot about powder volume in comparison to length and diameter of the bore to determine how efficiently it would burn the powder. bottom line is barrel length does make a considerable difference in velocity.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

ive read that is only true for shotguns, now with rifles its totally different from caliber to caliber. I'll have to find the article that explain this, but I do remember part of the article on a specific caliber of interest of mine that I payed close attention to which is the 308 win. the article explained that a 308 win. needs a 28 inch barrel to efficiently ignite all of its powder, but the gases would still be expanding to an even longer length and that a 308 would have to be shot through a 20 foot barrel before it would experience bullet drag in the muzzle. anyway the article explained alot about powder volume in comparison to length and diameter of the bore to determine how efficiently it would burn the powder. bottom line is barrel length does make a considerable difference in velocity.
I would like to see that article cause thats a new one to the gun community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.