Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 i sure do hope he likes this >

i sure do hope he likes this

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

i sure do hope he likes this

Old 06-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default i sure do hope he likes this

well as you all know it's fathers day coming up soon. i'm 12 and my dad does alot for me. i really wanted to get him somthing he liked and his birthday allready passed. then it hit me when i was in gander mountian. he wanted a dedicated deer gun. great i think found the perfect gift. well i've worked my a$$ off and i've got $360 dollars + a 50 dollar gift card for gander mt. i got for christmas. i went in there and told him what he wanted. the guy came out and said here it is. it's a remington 870 black synthetic stock with a cantilever scope mount and a 20 somthin inch rifled barrel and it's got that stuff on it tokeep it from rusting, cant rember what it's called.this thing is sweet as all get out. i started talkin to the guy and we figured out the price, he told me he'd discount it to 400 out the door. so do you think i'm doin good by dumpin all my money on this for him? i hope he likes it. he lets me use his guns and everything so i can go out and hunt.o yea it's a 20 ga. because he's too old for the old 12 gauge[8D]
Old 06-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: i sure do hope he likes this

That will be a great gift. I'm sure he'll be proud.

BTW, how old is too old for a 12 ga.?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:57 PM
c j
Typical Buck

If my little boy does that for me some day I'll probably have tears running down my cheeks for a week.

That's impressive, sk23. Very impressive. Your dad's gonna love it. Heck, you could've bought an $80 single-shot and he would love it. I bet he'll be beaming.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol, he's only 44 but he complains about the kick so i just wanted somthing he can use when he's really really old, like 50[8D]
Old 06-02-2006, 10:25 PM

Should be about perfect for him. They are starting to come out with a lot of different sabot slugs in 20ga now. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

here's the beast

REMINGTON MODEL 870 SPS SUPER SLUG DEER GUN

Old 06-03-2006, 05:42 AM

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

lol, he's only 44 but he complains about the kick so i just wanted somthing he can use when he's really really old, like 50[8D]
Ouch...that 50 crack hurts way more than the recoil of a 12 Guage!
Old 06-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

Really, really old...50 !!?? I'll be 50 in Nov. and I just bought a Rem. 11-87 super mag. 12 ga. 3 1/2". It really really kicks, but I really really love it!

At what age are you considered to be petrified?
Old 06-03-2006, 08:24 AM

Like said above, he will love it I'm sure, especially coming from you. I got my step dad a remington pump 30-06 when I was like 17 or 18 and he actually cried when he opened it.

I think you might be able to do better on the price though. I don't think they are that expensive where I live. I am going to do some shopping today I will look around and see what they go for. It will really depend on the scope that is on it. However most of those scopes that come on the guns are not that great. Depending on how much of a gun nut your dad is you might consider getting it without the scope and letting him get one himself. If that price is for one without the scope, then I think it's high. You can get that model with rifle sights for aorund 300 bucks or so, a cantilver barrel is not that much more in price.

Another option if you think recoil is a problem for him is the H&R ultra slug guns. I have one and it is very good on recoil. However they are pretty heavy. If you get one of those in 20 gauge he could get different barrels fitted to it from shotgun barrels to centerfire barrels. I think my Ultra was like $250 bucks without the scope. And it shoots great! It is a single shot though.

They also make that remington in a combo model where you can get the cantilever barrel and a bird barrel.

No matter what you get he will be happy. You might get a lecture about not spending your money on him, but deep down he will be very proud of you and probably brag like crazy at work about what a great kid he has.

Paul
Old 06-03-2006, 08:38 AM

Well I just looked it up and it has a heavy barrel on the Special Purpose 870 action. So you are probably getting a deal on it. I found one online for around $480, so 400 is pretty decent. I would be willing be bet if you could find an 870 express with the cantilver barrel it may be cheaper and will basically be the same gun. I can find no information what the difference is between the SPS and express actions. I always thought the SPS version were camo. It may have a slightly smoother action like the wingmaster does. The all have the same action, but to me the wingmaster always feel better when you cycle them.

I have a buddy with a 870 SPS turkey gun and he has a cantilever barrel on it. He is pretty happy with it.

Paul

Quick Reply: i sure do hope he likes this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.