Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 rifle painting >

rifle painting

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifle painting

Old 05-26-2006, 10:07 AM

Default rifle painting

i'm thinking of painting my rifle. i've already painted the barrel black. the coat of paint is uneven and i'd like to take it off anyway. if i strip the paint offthe barrel, can i paint on the naked steel barrel?
any painting tips would also beappreciated.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: rifle painting

if you get it down to bare metal id paint it like a car......sand it with some light sandpaper....rub it down good with rubbing alcohol....and as soon as the alcohol drys prime it.....as long as you dont get moisture under the primer you should be fine....after a coat or 2 of primer hit it with your favorite paint a couple times....maybe a camo job...whatever you wish...id stick away from shiny metalic glossy colors....just wont look right on a gun barrel lol.....someone will have better advice im sure......ive never painted a barrel...
Old 05-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

www.lauerweaponry.com

You'll have to remove the paint from your barrel try using paint thinner first and see if that removes the paint. You want to keep as much of the original finish(bluing) on the barrel as you can. Once your done with that look up the provided website . They have kits that allow you to paint your gun to your hearts content and their stuff doesn't come off so easily.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never painted a gun before but I would think you woud need a high Temp. paint like they use on a wood stove.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have never painted a gun before but I would think you woud need a high Temp. paint like they use on a wood stove
This paint is made for firearms applications so yes it will take it. If your barrel ever gets cherry red in color I would advise you to stop shooting