Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sight question >

sight question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sight question

Old 05-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default sight question

How do you properly use peep sights? when you look through the peep do you use the whole tip or just half of it or what. just wondering.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:55 PM

Default RE: sight question

archery peep sight?
or
rifle sights?

rifle sight: the "dot" (muzzle end) should be in full view through the "open" (chamber end) sight. the object being aimed at should be cut in half with the combination of the two working togther as one.
ie human silhouette: your "horizon" is across the shoulders and center.
longer shots aim a little higher throat etc.

i hope this is what you were looking for, if not i am going to look dumb... so say yes anyhow.
hope it helps.
les h
Old 05-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Using one in the military, you look thru the rear peep, which puts the front sight post in middle then you place the top of the front sight post center mass, and squeeze. Imagine most peeps work about the same!
Old 05-19-2006, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

When yuou look through the aperture, your eye tends to center itself at the point of strongest light - the center of the aperture. Then all you have to do is to place the tip of the front sight on the spot you want the bullet to hit, assuming you hgave zeroed the sights this way. Izero a peep by having the bullet strike 3" above the top of the front post or bead at 100 yards. This means when using a standard 100 yard rifle target, the bull perches on top of my post, giving what is known as "the pumpkin on the post" sight picture.

If you zero this way with a .30/'06 class cartridge, the bullet willbe at the very tip of the post at 200 yards and about 6" below that at 300......

Note this picture shows the aperture outline very distinctly. While this might be the case when using a small aperture target sight, when you are using a relatively large one like on the M1 rifle or a ghost ring, you should not pay any attention to the rear hole at all, just look through it - it should be just a blur! If you have a Lyman, Williams or Redfield peep, unscrew the removable aperture and just look through the big threaded hole.....
Old 05-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for all of the input.by the way the peep sight i am aiming through is on my new colt ar-15 that i just recenty purchased.i have just had the time to put about a box of ammuntion through it.i guess i just need to sit down with alot of ammuntion and get to know it alitttle better.and for the record it is chambered .223.i never have shot a rifle with peep sights until i got my colt. how are the scopes for the ar's? thanks again.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice from Eldequello.............
Old 05-23-2006, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

by the way the peep sight i am aiming through is on my new colt ar-15 that i just recenty purchased.i have just had the time to put about a box of ammuntion through it.i guess i just need to sit down with alot of ammuntion and get to know it alitttle better.and for the record it is chambered .223.i never have shot a rifle with peep sights until i got my colt.
With iron sights, to get the best consistancy, you need to have a repeatable consistant cheek weld. With most rifles its easy to do by placing your cheek against your thumb, but since ARs have a pistol grip what works well is touching your nose to the charging handle. It might seem a bit scary at first, but the AR doesn't have enough recoil to hurt your nose.

how are the scopes for the ar's?
I think that depends on whether or not you have an A2 or A3 type upper receiver. With the A2, you need to mount the scope above the carry handle- I've shot a rifle set up like that and didn't like it.... With an A3 upper, you just need a scope mount to fit the flat top, you can use pretty much any scope on the rifle. I have a Bushmaster A3 but haven't thought about using a scope yet since it shoots so darn good with iron sights.