Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Douglas vs Shilen vs Wilson Arms >

Douglas vs Shilen vs Wilson Arms

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Douglas vs Shilen vs Wilson Arms

Old 05-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Douglas vs Shilen vs Wilson Arms

I need to have my 30-06 Sprg. FN Mauser rebarreled.Of thefollowing barrels are Which barrel would you folks choose?

Douglas "Air Gauged" Premium Barrel: Land and grove tolerance from breech to muzzle can vary only .0001". They are long chambered, crowned, polished and threaded, no further chamber reaming required. Use machine lathe to face the breech and set back the shoulder untill it headspaces correctly $274.00.

Brownells/Douglas Long Chambered mauser Barrel: The same as above, but has .0005" tolerances for groove diameter and strightness $248.25.

Brownells/Shilen Fitted Mauser Barrel: Already threaded with chamber left slightly short. After installed use hand turned finish reamer to deepen till headspace is perfect $238.25.

Wilson Arms 98 Mauser Barrels: Pre-threaded and short chambered barrels, precision made to provide superior accuracy. Stress releived and machine lapped then air-gauged with the muzzle to breech tollerance of .0001"; firnished with chamber left .010 short. Requires gunsmith fitting and final chambering $138.33.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Douglas vs Shilen vs Wilson Arms

There is certainly NOTHING wrong with the Douglas Premium-grade barrels.......

Old 05-17-2006, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

NOthing but good things to say about the Douglas premium barrels
Old 05-17-2006, 06:49 AM

I agree, I would go with the Douglas myself.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:32 AM
bigcountry

I would go with shilen. Some of firends really have had some nice guns built by them. They did it all. Chambered, and installed on actions. And tack drivers.

I used to live close to the douglas shop. For some odd reason, when I was shopping around for custom built guns, I met so many gunsmiths that said they will install any barrel besides a douglas. I know Melvin Forbes uses them, and you can't get much more respectful than them.

Last barrel I bought was a krieger. It was much rougher than I expected. Fouled alot. Dan Lilja is all I will probably buy these days.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:52 PM

Wilson barrels are superb. Every bit as good as the Douglas, Hart, Shilen and anything else. The only thing that is certain is that they are less expensive. I have been told....not verified, that they make many of the premium grade barrels with the el supremeo label. I have 3 Mausers with Wilson barrels and they are sub 1/2 MOA. Good luck and regards, Rick.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:10 PM
bigcountry

Has anybody on here had guns built with all these or the other companies??

Old 05-17-2006, 08:47 PM
DM

I guess i've had more than 10 Douglas bbls, also have Hart, Redman, Shilen, and Shaw, and Ackleythat i can remember right now. I'm sure i've missed somebody.....

None were bad, i always thought Hart were the best??? The several i've been around sure shot well!

For a hunting gun i don't think any would be a bad choise.

Drilling Man
Old 05-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you folks think about Pac-Nor Super-Match Grade Chrome Molly Blanks. Bore diametrs within .0003", and grooves within .0001. $205.00. Has any one used their rebarreling services? I can get the whole job done for about $500.00 including fitting, special custom contour of old barrel, chambering, crowning, and lapping of lugs anf truing of action.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:53 AM
bigcountry

Some people love pac nor. Thats not a bad price. For the same thing for Shilen, it would run another 100 dollars.

I wouldn't kill myself, making this decision. Cause, most likely any of these barrels will outshoot you. Give Dan Lilja a try. They are the smoothest barrels I have ever seen.

Quick Reply: Douglas vs Shilen vs Wilson Arms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.