Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning

Old 05-14-2006, 03:30 PM

Default Browning

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and would like to ask your opinion.

I'm a lever action guy, so I'm curious about the Browning BLR w/ pistol grip. Does anyone here have a BLR? If so, what caliber is it and how long have you had it? How well does it perform off the bench and out in the field? Have you had any problems with it, if so, explain please. And any other information you have to give would be greatly appreciated.
I'm looking into getting it in .243 Win. and either 7mm Mag. or .300 Win. Mag. (hadn't made up my mind on that one yet, but that's a question I'll ask later.)
Old 05-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Browning

I have one in 308 that is the Belgium mfg (pre 81).
I also have a BLR 81 with a steel receiver in 223. Both are smooth and reliable. The 308 will shoot 1 1/4" groups with factory ammo, the 223 is sub moa (I now do not shoot factory ammo).
I have heard of problems with the gear that the lever operates but never hear these stories first hand.
On 24hourcampfire there is a thread you may find interesting on the BLR
Old 05-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend who owns a Browning BLR in 7mm Rem. Mag.; It has to have the worst trigger I have ever felt. He tried to have the trigger worked on, but could not find a gunsmith to touch it. He called Browning and their response was it was a hunting rifle not a target rifle. When youpurchase your BLR, testas many rifles' triggersas you can. Make sure you love the BLR's trigger because you will be stuck with it. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:39 AM

I had a BLR in 358 Winchester, not very impressive to me...but im hard to please. Still I like lever actions like you do so I continued the search. After several years I came up with two guns that I had to go custom with to get what I wanted...accuracy.

Both my Savage 99 in .308 and the Marlin .444 are less than 1.5 inches at 100 yards, good for a lever action. Notabley I'm a competitive rifle shooter and I have a sponsor that is a really good gunsmith. So maybe I'm spoiled, but it can be done...both rifles were used and totally restored by Matt Wilson of Leesville, La,Industrial Starters. Either rifle can be found used in a gun show, and if you saw them now you would drool.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have had 3 all together all .308's .. Bought the first one as soon as it came out and it was Belgium made...Nice gun but the stock didn't impress me, impressed checkering. I then bought another 308 in 1980 and it was a nicer gun , don't know why I got rid of it . I recently purchased a lightning in 308 and it is sweet. All my 308's have been very accurate and dead reliable. The rifle has the smoothest action and strongest lockup of all lever guns, plus the fact it shoots pointed bullets.. The trigger in my opinion has not been a problem at all and there are no idiotic crossbolt safeties to contend with. I don't think I would buy one in the magnum configuration because they are a bit light. I think the funniest thing I have seen is Marlin pushing XLR rifles that push pointed bullets in a tube magazine and sell for a similiar price to the browning..Why anyone would pick it over a BLR is one of lifes unsolved mysteries.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:24 AM

What's the issue with the trigger? Free play? Poundage?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are set at a consistent weight but really are not that bad at all, in fact I would say it is pretty decent. I actually have no problems switching from it to my regular bolt rifles which are all set at 3 lbs..The trigger may bother some herebut of all the owners of Blrs I have run across it has not been a problem at all.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I don't think I would buy one in the magnum configuration because they are a bit light.
Are you just talking about the kick issue here or are you meaning they are built too light (components like alum. receiver, etc.)to stand up to the magnums?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Hairtrigger
On 24hourcampfire there is a thread you may find interesting on the BLR
I went over there and read a few of the posts but was there a particular one you had in mind for me to read? I didn't register there, so search option is not there for me.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you just talking about the kick issue here or are you meaning they are built too light (components like alum. receiver, etc.)to stand up to the magnums?
Kick issue ..I know the newer stocks are better designed for properly transmitting recoil then the older models. As far as strength ask Z-hat gunsmithing about their strength ..they have a small cottage industry building these guns in DG calibers. Why would a company in todays litigation crazy society build a lever actiongun in 300 win mag or any of the WSM's.? Rotary Bolt locking in a barrel reciever is along for the ride anyway.

Quick Reply: Browning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.