Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Belgian A5 16ga ???s >

Belgian A5 16ga ???s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Belgian A5 16ga ???s

Old 05-01-2006, 09:48 PM

Default Belgian A5 16ga ???s

I just picked up one of these for FREE!!! (LOL actually it's been sitting in a closet inour hunting cabin for over 20 years, untouched and no one claimed it. I believe it probably was left thereon accident by the previous owner! So I brought it home lastweek while turkey hunting up there.) I am going to restore this gun myself. The metal is in good shape, the bluing is silvered/worn but there is no rust or pitting, the ingraving issharply detailedand everything works great. The wood is physically in great shape with no gouges, cuts or cracks. It's a 26" modified, ribless barrel.

But there in lies my question, I simply can't remember. Originally was the wood on the old Belgian A5s polyurathaned(or other similar high gloss finish), or has this gun been shilached(sp) at some point in it's past? The finish is now yellowing, cracking and flaking off quite extensively.Like I said, it has sat ina closet in complete darkness and inasteady climate (heating and A/C).It should come off fairly easy and I plan on sanding the wood lightly and then simply oil finishing the stocks.

LOOK OUT doves, this baby is gonna be HELL come September!!!
RA
Old 05-01-2006, 11:10 PM

Default RE: Belgian A5 16ga ???s

I officially hate you. Can't help with your question though

Come to think of it......that sounds real familiar. Yeah, wait...umm, its mine. Yeah, ITS MINE...I'll take it!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how old your gun is. I own 3 of them the oldest was my grandfathers from around the turn of the centery this gun is dark wood with a real dull finnish it always looked like that I can remember my grandfather using it. another one used to be my dads its wood is lighter and a semi gloss and this one came from the 1940's. And I bought one in the early 80's that has dark wood and highly glass finnish. I don't know if that http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/punkey5/photos%2019%20March/2bb50495.jpg helps you or not. Good luck with a great gun. Mabey some day your grandson will own it. Mike I don't know if this photo will help you as its dark. Its the only one I have right now my camera went swimming yesturday while I was in the woods so I can't help ya with another one right away.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have that very gun. It's a Sweet Sixteen I purchased (my first) in 1966. The finish was likely a poly urethane and was high gloss. I have seen old refinished stocks (with shellac type products) that turned yellow and peeled. I'd just strip it down, sand thoroughly and refinish with urethane. Allow complete drying between coats and rub with very fine steel wool. When done, apply a light coat of wood polish or wax and you'll be good to go...IMO
Old 05-02-2006, 02:35 PM

I can't help you but I think I know who can. When I was researching getting my A5 last month I stumbled accross this excellent site for shotguns and A5 info. There are a few guys there that probably know everything there is to know about them.

shotgun world browning forums

Pretty good site in general but lots of A5 info.

Paul
Old 05-02-2006, 08:05 PM

Well I got the shotgun out this afternoon and really give it a good going over. It has a 5 digit serial number and after close examination I DO believe it was originally "polycoated". The rear of the stock has a darker area that is evidence that at some point it had a slipover recoil pad on it. That area is clean, shiny and in much better condition than the rest of the wood. The forearm is nearly void of ANY coating and the pistol/cheek area of the stock is badly flaking and the coating that is flaky is yellowed.

The metal is great however, I pulled the forearm off of it and the spring and mag tube looks like it is only a year or two old. Like I said I know for sure this gun has sat untouched for at least the last 22-23 years, so whatever wear/use it got happened early on in its life. The screws appear to be untouched so I doubt seriously that the gun has ever been apart. It should make one fine resto piece. I even like the large "FN" buttplate on the stock.

Thanks for all the info guys, I knew I could count on this site to get me pointed in the right direction!!!
RA