Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
buckshot in a rifled barrel >

buckshot in a rifled barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

buckshot in a rifled barrel

Old 10-27-2002, 06:47 AM

Default buckshot in a rifled barrel

I have a Remington 11-87 with the 3 1/2" chamber. I see that Remington is selling a 21" open sighted rifled barrel for this gun now. I dont need a slug gun, but i do need a buckshot gun. Would it be ok to shoot buckshot out of the rifled barrel? Would it harm the rifleling in the barrel? Would it damaged the shot when firing? I know that I could use the 26" barrel that is on the gun now, but the 21" with open sights seems perfect for the thick in close hunting that I would be doing.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: buckshot in a rifled barrel

It won't harm the barrel, except for a possibility of some serious leading, BUT, the shot charge will come out like a whirling, spiral nebula, and the pattern will be nonexistent beyond a few yards from the muzzle. This is a bad idea! Use a cylinder bore or an improved choke bore for buckshot!! You'd be better off with a smooth-bore slug barrel with rifle sights.

Keep yore powder dry!!