Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about old guns...

Old 04-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about old guns...

I have been wondering for a long time what happens to old guns? Do people use them and not take care of them and just throw them away or what? There should be ample supplies of nearly any gun you can think of out there. I just wonder where they go..I mean they arent like cars and such that just rust away and get junked. I have guns close to 100 years old that still fire and function as good as day 1.

Are there really that many hidden away in collections or what? I mean take the Mod 70 for instance. There were probably millions of pre-64's made and people act like they were only made for 6 days during the dayshift if you find one for sale.

Do people just throw them away when they get tired of do James B and Rebel Hog have them all?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:53 AM

Default RE: Question about old guns...

Well, My Dad has 2 pre-64 30-06's. One is like new and probably worth a few thousand dollars and ond is shot out. It shoots about a 6" group. I mean, what do you do with a hunting rifle that is shot out?? Put it in the gun safe I guess. Well I guess you could have it re-barreled.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats just what I wonder..not only the pre-64's but all guns..I cant imagine throwing one away but some people might.I would have to rebarrel that one...might hurt the value but Im sure it wouldnt be for sale anyways and then you would still be shooting with a fine piece.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have quite a few guns but nothing like some folks. I have a friend that has several hundres guns most of which are old and unuasual guns. There are many collectors that own hunderds of Model 70's as well as other guns. I was in a gun store once when a guy was selling a collection of about 200 Remington pump rifles. Most of the old guns however are in the closets of people who recieved these guns from older family members like Grandpa's ol 44-40. Many thousands more are in used gun and pawn shops. Many are bought up by outfits like Gun Parts and parted out. Yes some are just worn out and thrown away. RH on the other hand might have a bunch of them.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be very surprised that many old M-70s were worn out and thrown away. Most folks know their value even with a shot out barrel.

Many old shotguns actually were thrown away as they got loose and the repair bills was more than their value. Old side X sides have become collectors or family heirlooms and sit in closets or in sealed boxes like the one I have.

However I've never ever seen a wornout bolt action rifle built after WWI. Some needing new barrels maybe...but never seen a wornout bolt action.

I think they're out there somewhere.

You'd be surprised the number of homes that have more than twenty of them!!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Still have the Win.mod.12, 20ga I got for ny 12th B'Day in 1952and still have the J.C.Higgins .30.06 I got in 1953 for my B'Day. Sears $99.99
Still have the BRN A-5 12ga that my wife bought me in 1966 for X-mas before we were married. Sears $166.99.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats what I was wondering....if that many people had that many guns. I am like Vapo...I can imagine a barrel getting shot out but even with the bare minimum of maintenance themactions will never wear out. I have a gun something like yours...I got a new 1100 30 inch vent rib full choke for Christmas in 87 when i was int he 12th grade. Its still in the box. It may prove thatsentimental value keeps the majority of guns locked up.