Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Elk Rifle & Recoil >

Elk Rifle & Recoil

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Elk Rifle & Recoil

Old 04-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elk Rifle & Recoil

Noise level goes up for those around you,
Noise increases tremendously for the shooter as well.Even a single shot without hearing protection will often cause a persons ears to ring for hours.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:44 AM

The .577 T-Rex ought to do the job. Going by Newton's law, it ought to knock elk and moose flat since it knocks the shooter flat on the other end.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

. Thats the in thing.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

From my perspective trying to simulate to a shotgun is fruitless. First off different report, second fit, style and weight have the most impact in felt recoil and 3rd I don't shoot my shotgun nearly as much as any CF. I don't turkey hunt but how many range shots would you say you shootwith the pop stick& turkey loads? How many do you plan to shoot with the new rifle? In the field I don't remember a single belt I have taken, however I do recall feeling some aftermaths with improper positioning of the firearm be it shotgun or CF. But when it comes to my rebuilt shoulderI must be able to sit down and plink out a range session without dismay with a hunting rig. If it goes over this envelope I have no need for that piece of equipment in my cabinet. For me a perfect balance would be in the 338 wm area in terms of meeting my own criteria, not required but certainly a great elk/moose cartridge.

BTWI use the 7mm rem mag, no problems anchoring elk or moose with single shots. Then again our gamemust be of thewimp variety up here b/c I have heard my choice of cartridges is even inferior for deer as of late.[8D]

I am of the opinion it is only useful if you can handle it...a poor shot is going to result in headaches no matter how loud the bang. Only you can determine this factor my suggest is try shooting some different rifles in yoursimulated range session to see what you can comfortably handle. I wouldn't consider a brake as asolutionto tame your reaction to the pin falling. Having to plug my ears would drive me bonkers while hunting and that is my underlying reason for selecting equipment. Enhancement devices drive me equally bonkers in the often wind swept prairie's I call my stomping grounds. Shooting without ear protection..NOWAY. I know of more than one guy who has lost hearing after a single blast from a braked rifle. I already have bummed shoulder no need to add to the list and I ain't getting any younger so who knows what may come up down the dusty trail.

Best of luck
Old 04-13-2006, 03:25 PM

Well spoken.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:13 PM

Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions and comments, they're very much appreciated. I am by no means shy of recoil and have never had a problem with flinching. My current battery consists of a 270, 280, 06, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm-08, 257 Weatherby and a 45/70 Guide Gun with several milsurps thrown in as well. I realize that all of these except for maybe the 257 (although it has been done) qualify as Elk medicine, and rightfully so; but my tendencies run toward not just bringing an adequate rifle for most situations, instead bring the most you can accurately shoot in all situations - especially if your paying lots of hard earned money for the hunt! I realize that the shotgun does not offer the best comparison for a rifle but it's the hardest kicker I have, but I haven't fired anything heavier than Winchester 300's in the 45/70. I guess I should just buy or load some heavy hitters for the GG and try them - If I can handle those then the sky's the limit right? As for brakes - no thanks, been there done that and can't stand the blast.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder how many sets of eardrums have been rendered junk from unknowing users and innocents bystanders from muzzle breaks?
Old 04-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

What did you say DD!!!???
Old 04-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ROFL. For those that have had shoulder surgeries, I would just say try before you buy, and shoot from the standing position. I am not a fan of lightweight magnum rifles. I fired a .338 Win Mag alot both before and after shoulder surgery and I did just fine. But I always limited bench shooting with it. I am at the age where I will forgoe the 416 Rigby unless pachyderms threaten my town. Not likely.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well obviously your no stranger to rifle.Please excuse my general reply, however info was..lacking. Certainly understand your point of view and personally think the 338wm would fit in nicely to your current selection as dedicated elk taker. Although nothing wrong with the wby or RUM if you are prepared to handle a little more boot and costs to operate these powder burners.

Good luck in your decision.

Doe Dumper,I too wonder this. It seems very little education is around with brakes and noise increase for the average hunter. Anybody who has sat next to one at the range will know the difference but for a lot of hunters a box of shells is a few season supply.

Quick Reply: Elk Rifle & Recoil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.