Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Wooden stocks- what kind ? >

Wooden stocks- what kind ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wooden stocks- what kind ?

Old 04-12-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Wooden stocks- what kind ?

What kind of wood species would you use to put on your rifle if you could choose?

Not sure what kind of wood I want to use (or what would be safe to use to stand up to a 7mm mag recoil) , any suggestions (and pics of wood species) would be appreciated!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:30 PM

Default RE: Wooden stocks- what kind ?

If I had my choice it would beexhibition gradeEnglish Walnut. But, I'm not wealthy so I don't own any. My second choices would be black walnut, Claro walnut, & Curly Maple. Just depends on what your tastes are. Of course you could go with a laminate they are supper tough.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
Old 04-12-2006, 02:45 PM

I like the glu-lam's myself
Old 04-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

French or Turkish walnut does it for me. Check out this site for some beautiful wood blanks:

www.hunterbid.com

Old 04-12-2006, 03:24 PM

If you want something a little more unique, tiger eye maple (or is it tiger stripe? can't remember for sure) is pretty neat.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:56 PM

It's hard to beat the beauty of highly figured black walnut but the more figure it has the higher the price. I've got three custom wood stocks, one black walnut, one claro walnut and a flinter in curly maple. They all have figure through about 80% of the stock, I think that's what makes them look sharp, more than the type of wood they are. If the grain runs true, they'll all handle anything you want to mount in them.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 7-Mag isn't classed as a heavy recoiling gun so most all of the maples and walnuts will do nicely.

Also Cherry and Mesquite will do as well.......most any hardwood for that matter.....

Some of the most overlooked stocks are Maple such as shellflame, Myrtle and birdseye......for those that like the whitewood.

Stock blanks run from about $100 to over $1,500 and the general factor in cost is appearance.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:11 PM
DM

Any of the wood mentioned would work fine with a 7 mag.,and if you want it a bit stronger yet, have the action glass bedded..

What is evenmore important, is that the grain of the wood is laid out properly in the stock. Expecially through the wrist, and magazine area. I see so many poorly laid out stocks these days, it isn't even funny!!

Drilling Man
Old 04-12-2006, 08:15 PM

I appreciate everyone's help!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:02 PM

cocobolo or tulipwood Here's a link with some pics and general characteristics:

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WS&Cate gory_Code=CA

You can look under African , Asian, L. America, N. America, Europe blah blah blah

Quick Reply: Wooden stocks- what kind ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.