Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 10-26-2002, 01:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2002, 03:21 PM

Default RE: How do you like your Marlin guide gun ?

i love mine in 450marlin

Old 10-26-2002, 09:21 PM

As for choosing between 444 and 45-70 I would recommend the 45-70. You have a greater variety of ammo available to you and it has been around a lot longer with a large following of hunters who have experienced it's awsome capabilities first hand. The 444 is a very good big bore round but I just have a personal preference for the 45-70.

As for feedback on the guide guns.....when the Marlin Guide Gun first came out I went to a local gun dealer thinking that I was going to go home with one that day. I took a good look at the one they had in stock checking out the feel and balance of the thing. I was a little shocked at how it just felt slightly off balance. I have liked the shorter rifles since my time in the military but I couldn't get over the awkward feel that the guide gun had in my hands. I at the same time checked out one of the Marlin 1895SS rifles and that was the winning ticket for me. It seemed much more comfortable with no awkwardness at all while still being fairly short and versatile. That's what I walked out with and I'm glad I did. That rifle has been my primary hunting rifle ever since.

I know there have been many positive reports about the Guide guns and I have no doubt that they are perfect for those folks and maybe you as well. I would simply recommend that you take a good look at one if you haven't yet and see if you notice the same problem I did. If you don't I'll be very happy to hear it.

Either way you can't go wrong with the 45-70 round in the thick stuff. I hunt a similar environment here in Maine with mine. I have taken several deer and a moose with it and maybe (just maybe!) someday I'll actually go bear hunting and add another game species to the list.

Good luck to you with your choice.

In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot. — Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)
Old 10-27-2002, 05:59 AM

I dont have the guide gun I have the Marlin M1895 in 45-70 and think its great gun I prefer the 45-70 over 444 just because easyer to get ammo and a lot of different loads out there I dont think Id go with the 450mag just because I handload and can get some pretty hot loads for the 45-70 with it. Also the gun is very accurate out to 200yds for me.

3DNWV
Old 10-27-2002, 06:01 AM

I dont have the guide gun I have the Marlin M1895 in 45-70 and think its great gun I prefer the 45-70 over 444 just because easyer to get ammo and a lot of different loads out there I dont think Id go with the 450mag just because I handload and can get some pretty hot loads for the 45-70 with it. Also the gun is very accurate out to 200yds for me. As for the muzzle break I have another 45-70 with a 16" barrel and a break if you dont like nose dont get t a 45-70 with a break as for recoil my 1895 with fairly hot loads isnt bad at all.

3DNWV
Old 10-27-2002, 07:26 AM
Host of Hosts

I don't own one either, but Marlin has a good reputation for quality firearms at a resonable price.

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

Old 11-07-2002, 06:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-07-2002, 07:28 PM

I have a marlin in a 444. It is older and is not a guide model, but it is very similar. I have no experience with a 45-70, but it should be a little easier to find bullets. I reload, so I don't have a problem finding shells. The load I use in my 444 is almost a compressed load, meaning than I have to settle the powder by tapping it a few time to get enough space to seat the bullet. The accuracy of the marlin lever actions is excellent. I hold about a 1.5 minute group at 100 yards with a red dot 1 power short scope. This type of sighting device works well for me because I mainly use this gun for drives and brush hunting. I think that the 45-70 would be more approprate for a true big bore gun.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

I was planning on buying a guide gun in 45/70 for my next gun. I was considering the 450 but the ammo is very limited so far all i have seen is one chambering by Hornady. I have used an old winchester 94 with open sights for years and am very deadly with a short, light, lever action, so the marlin seems like the gun to use for me. I just would like some more knockdown then what my 30-30 offers me. Course now im using a model 700 in 7 mag and the way im putting them down with it, the marlin may never see my gun cabinet.