Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 semi auto shotgun questions (A5) >

semi auto shotgun questions (A5)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

semi auto shotgun questions (A5)

Old 04-08-2006, 03:38 PM

Default semi auto shotgun questions (A5)

I am thinking of getting an auto shotgun, but really don't want to spend a lot of money. Always wanted one, just couldn't afford it. I have had a few single shots and a couple of inexpensive pumps. Now I want an auto.

My question is, like I said I don't want to spend alot of money. I was looking around and thinking mossberg 935, Charles Daily or a Stoeger 2000. But while I was looking at my local gun shop I started looking at the used guns. I saw a few Browning A5's, one with a wood stock for $499 and another with a shorter barrel and synthetic stock (A5 light I think it said) for $450. I have always wanted an A5, I just like the way they look and have a ton of respect for John Browning, the man was a genious in my opinion. Are there any issues with the A5's I should know about before buying one? Are they finnicky, or hard to get parts for or anything like that. I don't really know much about auto shotguns. I don't know much about either gun other than they are both 12 gauges (would really like a 20 though). I could find out more if I had to.

I was just thinking a used A5 would be better than a new shotgun in that price range.

There were also some 1100's, 11-87's, a franchi and a beretta (verona I think?) in the same price range, actually some were under $400. But if the A5 is a better gun, or even as good I don't have a problem spending the extra 50-100 bucks for it. It seemed to fit me better, they must have slightly shorter stocks on them. I am pretty small so most shotguns are difficult for me to pull up well, the brownings seem pull up and aim better.

I just want to play with it for the most part and maybe do some bunny and pheasant hunting. I don't want to any water foul hunting so steel shot will not be an issue for me. And I already have dedicated shutguns for turkey and deer.

Thanks for any opinions you guys (or girls) can give me.

Paul
Old 04-08-2006, 03:58 PM

Default RE: semi auto shotgun questions (A5)

I'm a HUGE A5 fan, but are they a better gun than the 1100 or berettas...no. But they certainly aren't a lesser gun than the 1100 or berettas. (I'll leave the franchi, verona and other 'knock-off' brands out of it. I think they're fine, but people love to aurgue quality control because it, and material, is the only differences you'll find. Besides price)

I would snatch both those A5 up if I had the money, but I have an addiction and am extremely biased. The only "weak point" I see in the A5 design is that it will split the stock if you don't have it properly setup for the loads you're shooting (i.e. shooting magnum loads with the gun on "light" setting.) Changing the gun takes about 30seconds once you know what you're doing. If you don't mind a synthetic stock, it makes this a moot point. As far as finding parts...it's become a little harder, but is far from being hard. (now, trying to find pieces for my remington made M11 is a different story)

The only thing the A5s don't have going for them in my book is that they don't reduce recoil like the gas operated 1100,11-87, berettas and all there copies. (I believe all of benelli's are still inertia operated, not sure)

The general advice in buying shotguns is to handle them all. See which one feels the best and swings the best...because its the one you'll likely be most accurate with. A shotgun that looks great and hits nothing is worthless.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the response, and I understand what you are saying. The one I looked at for $500 looked to be an older one, but had a longer barrel and nice wood stock, a few scratches on it though. The synthetic stock one must be fairly new and had a shorter barrel with a fiber optic pin in the front. Perfect condition though and was only $450. Not as pretty as the wood one however. Of course now that I know about the stock cracking issue it may be a consideration.

Both felt good to me, with both of them I could snap them up pretty quick and they pointed well. This is an issue with me because I am small. Most shotguns if they are not a youth model will hit me under the arm and hang up, not to mention the triggers are usually too far away. I don't mind the weight either, some of the other ones I looked at were much lighter, but they had alloy recievers as well.

I'm not overly concerned with the recoil either, I will admit though I was hoping being an auto would tame it down some. The only auto shotguns I have shot were an 11-87 12 ga and a light weight franchi 20 with slugs. The remington was pretty pleasant, especially considering I only weighed about 90 lbs. The light weight franchi was not so pleasant, not horrible, but it did sting a little. However this rifle was LIGHT and had no recoil pad, I'm sure the slugs didn't help either. I'm not that recoil shy though, like I said my other shotguns are H&R single shots and pumps and I shoot 3 inch magnum and turkey loads out of them. I also have an Ultra Slug gun, but it is pretty heavy and handles recoil very well. I wouldn't think the A5 would kick harder than a Mossberg Bantam with 12 ga turkey loads and I didn't mind those that much.

Did the newer A5's have screw in chokes or not? That would be nice to have, not a must though.

Paul
Old 04-10-2006, 09:58 AM

Well now. The A5 is a sweet ole gun no doubt. I have a couple myself. They are both old belgium models. My Sweet 16 is a prized posession no doubt.

But for a hunting weapon I would go with the 1100 or 1187. The ole A5 is a recoil operated weapon where as the newer weapons are gas operated. Its a much quicker cycling operation.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:02 AM
bigcountry

Myself, I will take A5's anyday over the guns you list in the 500 or less dollar category.

And under 500 dollars for belgium made gun in 90% or better condition is a great buy. As soon as you buy a 1187 or 935, its going down in price, the A5 holds it value and have been going up and up in the past 8 years.

It is true, its not gas operated and my kick some more, but it doesn't really bother me too much. Everything just feels so solid.

Now remember this all based off the 500 dollar or less category. I would trust my golds (I got three of em) just as much as any A5. Or trust a SBE II, any of the higher grade semis.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:09 AM

I can't say much about the A5s as I haven't handled one in a very long time, but the Daly's are a decent little gun. Mine had a weak spring or something and wouldn't fire on some Remington loads. A quick call to the factory and they sent me a call tag for it. I got it back in about 3 weeks and it works like a champ. It's gas operated 1100 knock-off and seems to tame down the recoil on heavy loads pretty well. It's uglier'n the north end of a south bound mule, but it comes with 3 screw in choke tubes that are just Remington tubes, and gets the job done.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:44 PM

Well, I did it. I put one on lay a way today, I will probably pay it off this week when I get my check. I just wanted to make sure I didn't lose it waiting around.

I talked with the gunsmith at the local shop to see what would be best for me. It was between a Berreta 1200, a verona (never heard of it?), a franchi, I forget what model and a couple of A5's. Everything but the A5's were $400 or just under. I handled all of them and had him explain the differences and advantages/dissadvantages to me. I also asked about a new shotgun in that range like the mossberg or CD. He seemed to think that everything I was looking at used was a better gun than either of those new. Strictly his opinion though, and he let me know that. He didn't come right and say off the bat that they were crap or junk to keep me from buying one.

After everything was said and done I decided on one of Auto 5's. They had a stalker light and a wood stocked one with a longer barrel that was a magnum. I went with the A5 light stalker with the synthetic stock and 22 inch barrel. $477 with tax, and it is in great shape, looks like new pretty much and it comes with the box and choke tubes (both A5's I looked at were japanese models with the screw in chokes). The deciding factor was fit, the stalker fit me really well. I have also really wanted an A5 all my life, so that didn't hurt any either.

I gave up some versatility with the A5 vrs a gas operated gun, but he seemed to think with what I wanted to do with it it was a better gun for the money and fit my needs well.

I don't have the gun yet, but here is a pic I found on the net.

Mine has swivel studs and a fiber optic front bead though.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Paul

Old 04-10-2006, 09:05 PM
bigcountry

I think you definately made the right choice.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 PM

^^^ what he said!!! And if you ever regret it look me up on here If I had the money and found one of those in a store around here...I wouldn't have that money anymore
Old 04-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the 2 post before mine. You will love that gun. I have one like the one you bought but has a slug barrel on it. before I put the slug barrel on it, I've put thousands of shells though mine shooting traps, when I got it8 years ago, not once did it jam on me. I retire it from trap shooting and use it for deer hunting only. Very accurrate out to 100yrds using rifle slugs. Great gun.

Quick Reply: semi auto shotgun questions (A5)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.