Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What do you think is going on? >

What do you think is going on?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What do you think is going on?

Old 04-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default What do you think is going on?

OK guys, here's the scenerio: New Savage 116; 30-06, new Burris Fullfield II scope. Before I start, the rings and bases are tight and the barrel is fully floating. Shooting off a solid rest using an MTM rifle rest.
First 2 shots 1" apart at aiming point, third shot 7" right, 4th, 6" right.
Readjust scope - three shots grouping nicely, 4th shot right again.
Note: the bullets are not 'walking' in any particular direction but just start going way off point of aim.
My suspicion is the scope and I called Burris and they already said they will look at it. I already have another scope set up to put on these bases to eliminate either the scope or the rifle.
Let me know what you guys think.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:27 PM

Default RE: What do you think is going on?

I don't know that any gun is bad enough to throw something a random 7" off. I would check bases and the scope...especially if they are the savage bases you get in a combo deal. The fact that it's a savage makes me doubt its the gun all the more. Tell me you got one that won't shoot under 2" and I'd say the gun is suspect.

ALSO: the fact that you had 3 good shots right after readjusting the scope makes me think it is the base/scope.

Definately wait till the more knowledgeable folks answer, I've never dealt with a gun throwing bullets this badly.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:07 PM

I would have to think it is the scope itself. I would find it hard to believe the bases could be moving 7MOA, and you not be able to tell they are loose. And, if it was the bases, I don't think readjusting the scope would help for even 1 shot. I think the culprit would definitely have to be the scope. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:59 PM

Did you really scour the barrel out before you shot it? Sometimes factory barrels come with a lot of oil or grease in them. Are the action screws in there tight? Otherwise, I wouldbe looking at the scope and/or mounts as well. 7" is one heck of a "flier".
Old 04-04-2006, 09:47 PM

I think you are on the right track.

Horizontal stringing of this magnatude is almost always a mechanical issue. My next step after I was satisfied that the scope, base and rings are anon-issue, would be to take aclose look at the stock. From your descripion, it may very well be that thestock is shifting off poa under recoil.

1st insure that the action does notmoveby loosening the action screws a few turns.

If the stock rocks or slides back and forth,check the recoil lug to insure it is not bent and in even contact with the recoil boss.You may have to"smoke" or color with magic marker to determine if he fit is even.If the lug does not make firm contact or is sloppy,fab and shape some shims from an alum can, tape to the recoil lug and install the stock. Use as many shims as necessary so that the recoil lug is a firm fit without any side stress on the action screws. If the stock rocks side to side,you may have to shim the sides of the recoil lug.

The recoil lugshould take the energy of recoil,the actions screws should only hold the stock to the action. Be sure the action screws are torqued the same, Savage recommends 30-40 inch lbs for the synthetic stocks and 45-60 inch lbs forwood.If you do not have a in lb torque wrench, 50 in lbsis just about all you can turn with your fingersusing the short side a6" bent allen wrench. If the shims improve grouping, you have a candidate for bedding.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guys - I couldn't stand it. I took the afternoon off and went to the range. Whatever gremlins that were about on the weekend, went away today. The only difference was that today I used sandbags instead of my MTM rest. It was 40 degrees, cloudy with a 5 - 10 mph wind. Distance 100 yds. Ammo was Norma factory to ensure sight in and 4 different load combos.
Sequence was fire 5 rounds, clean bore, let cool for 5 mins, repeat.
Result of 13, 5 shot groups was an average of 1.095" (just over an inch).
The smallest group was .495" and the largest was 1.550".
Looks like I got another shooter on my hands.
My suspicion is either a sticky spring inside the scope that settled in or I wasnt careful using the MTM rest and pulled the rifle back too far flexing the stock causing pressure on the barrel.
Anyway - looks like case solved.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:26 PM
bigcountry

Is the scope near the maximium adjustmetn on one side?

Old 04-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

nope, no where close. But like I said, everything seems fine now.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use to have a Savage rifle in .222. I forget the model #. Every time the first shot would be at least 3" high then it would walk down to POA. If I let the gun cool down, it would do it again.I Checked all screws, bolts and even tried other scopes, It did the same thing. I couldn't figure it out, so I sold it.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:11 PM
XTP

good to hear it worked out for you..Savage (synthetic)stocks are notoriously flexable in the forearm and using a bi-pod will compound the problem if your not carefull. I had a similar problem with my 110 and am going to glass bed it to strengthen it. Don't forget about the ammo you use as well, even though it may not be the cause in your case,my rifle absolutely hates Rem. corelocks but is a tackdriver with Hornady's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.