Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Talk about overkill... >

Talk about overkill...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Talk about overkill...

Old 04-01-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Talk about overkill...

I was reading Guns and Ammo magazine while my mom was gettin groceries (the cheapo way ), and I read that the mostpopular Weatherby Calibers, in this order were30-378, then 300 Weatherby, then 257.In another article it saidmost common game hunted with these calibers was deer. What's the need for the first 2 cartridges for deer? At $5 a shot I don't understand why anyone but a handloader woul own one, but I know some people who have one and aren't. A 300 Weatherby would be fine for all of North America, but it stated the sole purpose was deer. I don't understand some people...
Old 04-01-2006, 05:24 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Talk about overkill...

I wouldn't use em, but I would say people use cause they can.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Same here. However bigger is better seems to be the norm anymore.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the 7MM RM for deer. Many would consider this to be overkill, and the calibers you mentioned are certainly "overkill" on Whitetails! However.......
you can't ever kill 'em "too dead!"
If a person can handle the caliber, I'd much rather see someone "over-gunned," than "UNDER-gunned!" You will hear many complain of meat damage, but with good double lung shots, you will get very little meat damage, even with the larger calibers!
Old 04-01-2006, 10:18 PM

I have had lots of people at the range come over after I fire a couple of groups and ask me what I’m shooting? When I tell them it’s a 375H&H they ask me what do I use it for?
I let them know that it’s my new Red and Sambar deer rifle most people then ask we “What the hell do you need a cannon like that for Sambar there not that tough you only need a 30/06 to kill them”
My 1st response is “what does NEED have to do with it” then when I ask them what there using it is usually a 300WSM or 7mm rem mag and when I ask what they shoot 85% of the time they seem to say Goats and the odd pig.

I don’t shoot the big super magnums myself as I never shoot over 300m usually 150m or less but lot’s of people I talk to want a rifle that shoots game out to 500m and IMO that seems to be the biggest end of the market at the moment.
My view is that people prefer a ranged rifle as they get to shoot more at the range then they do in the field so it is easer to practice on targets at long then it is to practice stalking and getting within hunting range of the game there after. I find this causes problems as a target sits still at 400m and the bench is nice and stable unlike in the
Old 04-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a .340 Wby. Mag., and it does an excelent job for me on any game. I killed a pronghorn with it using a 250 gr. Barnes X at 3062 f/s. The pronghorn stood for about 2 seconds and droped. There is no such thing as overkill. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have to agree with some of the others, no such thing as over kill, though myselfif they are $5.00 a bullett, doubt I would use it. However, remember in Germany that some hunters would use 9mm on the small reh deer. The caliber was big enough for wild boar, yet at the ranges for deer, it would poke a small hole goiing in and out. They sell the meat so by not blowing it away means more Deutsche Marks (Euros) now. I used a .30-06 and for the little ones, it could leave a good exit hole but they do not value the ribs as much, and it never mattered. Most never use .308 cause at its speeds, tear too big an exit and off a little, could waste to shoulders, etc.

Nah, no over kill! And if you are willing to use it, and want to, why the heck not!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

And if you are willing to use it, and want to, why the heck not!
I really don't have a problem with more......but it seems a whole lot of folks can't shoot them well and will not admit it to themselves.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:32 AM

It comes down to what you're comfortable with I suppose. There is no need to use a connon on deer. My favourite two calibers for deer are the 6.5X55SE, and the .308 in that order. I personally feel less comfortable with hunting on public land (forest) knowing that some hunters are "out there" with cartidges that go a long way through trees. I do understand that some guys are one gun hunters and they want something that will be a universal cartridge however. As long as they can actually shoot it right and respect the power that it has when they pull the trigger.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: aimiablerooster

As long as they can actually shoot it right and respect the power that it has when they pull the trigger.
Yeah, I have to agree. It’s funny how it works. Some guys that I’ve hunted with in the past thought that the minute you say MAGNUM, you could hit anything within 500 yards without a problem...

Quick Reply: Talk about overkill...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.