Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7mm mag or 300 win for a lady hunter? >

7mm mag or 300 win for a lady hunter?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm mag or 300 win for a lady hunter?

Old 03-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7mm mag or 300 win for a lady hunter?

Hey Rammer how does the recoil compare from a 270wsm to a 30/06 or the 7mm mag?
Old 03-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 270WSM was more of a "jolt" in my opinion. It was very tolerable, never lost my sight picture when I was zeroing/testing handloads for my buddy. My buddys fiance used it to take a cow elk this fall with 140gr Nosler Accubonds, and she has no problem shooting it (5'6" 115lbs). This was also the first gun other than a 20 gauge she shot in her first year of hunting. The shortmags do bark alot more than standard calibers, so make sure you wear hearing protection while shooting.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lady Arwen:

A 7mm Wby. Mag. with a muzzlebrake will recoil like a 25-06 Rem. A .300 Wby. Mag. will recoil like a 30-06 Sprg. You can also have a mercury reducer installled in the stock, along with a high quality recoil pad to reduce recoil.

In the field you can use a www.WalkersGameEar.com for noise protection and hearing enhancement. They are small and fit around the outside of your ear.

Using all three of these products a .300 Wby. Mag. will be a very good all around rifle for you. With a .300 Wby. Mag. you can hunt any animal in North America. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:08 PM

Thing is, with a .30-06 you can hunt every animal in North America and you don't need all that extra stuff.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

True. You may want more which is fine. You don't need more, Thats been proven thousands of times. More guns is good for the market and more gun owners is better for everyone.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

As others have recommended, a rifle with a muzzle brake is unbearable to fire without ear protection.
I used to believe this too, but recently bought a .416 Riby that has a VAIS brake on it. It is more pleasant to shoot from the recoil standpoint than my Ruger .375 H&H No. 1H, and the people shooting next tome at the range said that the side noise and blast sounded like a .30/'06 without a brake!
Old 04-01-2006, 08:19 PM

I have used all the guns discussed for elk except for the 243. These animals do die like anything else when shot properly. A gun that will do everything you want: be sufficient for use on elk and bear, ready availability of ammo and at a good price, your ability to practice a lot without recoil causing you to flinch, and easily reach out to 300 -350 yards, is as many people have said the 30-06 with a good recoil pad.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like most of the others here, I'd say stay away from muzzle brakes, if you value your hearing! Brakes are louder to the sides than from the shooters position, but even at that, the blast is worse than recoil! Even if it is not "felt," the damage to your ears is not worth it! Believe me, I can tell at the range, even several spots down the line if someone is shooting with a muzzle brake!
While the muzzle brakes are very effective, there are other ways of reducing recoil! Many good ways of reducing recoil have already been mentioned, autoloaders, stock style, and rifle weight also play a big part in recoil!
For example, I have a lightweight .308 and it actually feels as bad as, or worse than my heavier 7MM RM!
Finally, to the common 500 yarders, 99 out of 100, HORSE FEATHERS!!!

The majority of my hunting is East Texas, but even at that, we get a little long-range action on pipeline right-of-ways and such!
So, 300 yards is a long way, unless you practice a lot!
If you regularly sight in at 100 yards, its not really that HARD to miss at 300 yards!
And, unless you are really good at it, or have a range finder, its not easy to "guesstimate" 300-500 yard shots!
So, if you have experience with the 7MM RM, you CAN get one that works for you, WITHOUT the muzzle brake! (if I really HAD to choose between the two, I'd take a .280 over the 7 MM mags anyday!)
If thats too much, anything in 7MM-08 up to the 7MM RM should serve you well! WITHOUT magnum recoil, or muzzle brakes!
Good luck, M' Lady!
Old 04-02-2006, 11:59 AM

I, too, believe the Vias is the best muzzle brake out there. Itmakes a CF rifle only about 25% louder instead of more than 50% louder like the rest of them. It's still louder. And the guns are pretty loud with no brake at all. But if I can't talk a customer out of the muzzle brake, a Vias is the one to have.

Personally, I would forget the brake and spend the money on one of those Caldwell Lead Sleds. Assuming one already knows how to shoot, I would do my sighting and load development from the Lead Sled. You won't feel the recoil in the field shooting at game.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

.300 Win. Mag. no muzzle brake.

Quick Reply: 7mm mag or 300 win for a lady hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.