Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7mm mag or 300 win for a lady hunter? >

7mm mag or 300 win for a lady hunter?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm mag or 300 win for a lady hunter?

Old 03-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 7mm mag or 300 win for a lady hunter?

Another vote for the 280. I don't think you could do better. With todays outstanding bullets, the 270, 280 and 7x57 Mauser will handle all Non dangerous NA big Game. There is an article in this months Handloader magazine where a gal took her bull elk at 300+ yards with the 7x57. These rifles are modest in recoil and good out to 3-400 yards.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:18 PM

If those guys are telling you that they are "commonly" taking 500 yard + shots at game I'd quit listening to them and definitly find someone else to learn to "hunt" from. They aren't hunters, they're shooters at best and BS artists more than likely. 300 yards is a long ways to be shooting at an animal I don't care where or what it is. A 500 yard shot should be a rarity in any hunters life, and it isn't anything I'd go bragging about. Shooting 300-500 yards isn't about what caliber you're shooting, it's about knowing your weapon and knowing how to shoot. A properly loaded .30-06 that you're familiar with and have shot a lot will do better at 500 yards than a .300wm that you haven't.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Could not agree more. 300 is my limit and even that is darn seldom.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:37 PM

Hmmm, seems that justbecause you are a woman, the majority of folks want you to go with cartridges less than you have already shot..
I don't buy it given your plans. Your plans may not be foolproof, but they are reasonable.
If you get a muzzlebrake, then get one that can be removed and a thread protector put on in its place. Practice and get to know the rifle with the muzzlebrake (and hearing protection) on. Then as the season approaches drop the muzzlebrake, re-check your sight in. You won't feel any recoil in the field.

I always recommend that a person's first three long guns should be a 22LR, a 12 gauge, and a 30-06. I agree with the earlier assessment that your "500 yard" office mates may be a bit "conversational" I would encourage you to look at the 30-06 andstudy the ballistics with 180 grain bullets and a 200 yard sight in and ask yourself if the minor difference in drop (between it and the 7mmRemMag and the 300WinMag) at up to 400 yards is really a deal killer.

That said if you don't want the 30-06, then I'd recommend you follow your original plan.

You might want to check the "Prefierred Elk Cartridge Poll" up in the Big Game Hunting Forum, I believe HikChick uses as 7mmRemMag. When the rubber meets the road on elk hunting, the cartridges many recommend for othersare NOT what they use themselves.

You go girl, go kick some arse! AFTER you make sure the rifle is set up for you from top to bottom and you get someone knowledgable to give you some recoil management pointers. Use the gunsmith as your tie breaker on various opinions and as a resource to get you access to recoil management --- no talking about it is not enough!

Good Luck.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the 280 but consider it a handloaders gun.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree again Vap. Shells for the 280 are not on every shelf nor are there a lot of factory options available although its getting better.

I consider the 270, 280 and 30-06 as well as the 308, interchangable for game up to and including elk and moose. I would recommend the same guns to a pro linebacker.Yes throw the 7x57 mauser and 7mm-08 in the mix as well. Bullets have come a long way and these rifles with modern bullets are all capable of taking these animals.( Except maybe on the internet)I used the 30-06 most because thats the first big game rifle I ever used. The old Eddiestone that my dad bought for 20.00 at a Army surplus store in the 50's .
Old 03-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Federal lists 7 loads for the 280rem,remington another 4,winchester 2 and hornady 1 for a total of at least 14 factory loads.These loads include bullets such as the accubond and partition,so factory 280remloads suitable for moose and elk are certainly availble.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to respectfully disagree a little bit with EKM. My advise isn't being given because you are a woman but rather from what you have told us in your posts.

You said that you shot a 7mm and 300 mag and right off stated that you would definetly be installing a muzzle brake if you purchased one of these. I, as well as others here, get paid to install brakes and try to talk people out of installing one. If you need a brake to shoot any gun comfortably then you bought too much gun. Plain and simple.

There are many options available to reduce felt recoil other than a muzzle brake. Such as mercury recoil reducers, good recoil pads, making sure the stock fits you properly, etc...

Since you obviously don't like the recoil of the magnums then I strongly suggest the .270, .280, .308, 30-06, and other similar cartridges with the 30-06 winning for a one gun hunter. It is a versatile as it gets in center fire rifles. Learn to shoot one of them and you will be able to kill any non dangerous game animal in North America with no problems. The key to using these less powerful cartridges is to use a premium, well constructed bullet and don't take stupid shots.

As far as your "regular 500 yard shooters" go........ While I don't know them I highly doubt that they are making all that many 500 yard shots on elk or any other animal. It really isn't as common as some BS artists would have you believe. Unless it was laser ranged I would take it with a grain of salt. 200 yards can look like 500 yards when you are in unfimiliar hilly and mountainous terrain. My longest shot at an elk has been right about 150 yards and as close as 20 yards.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll chime in with my .02 cents worth. I have never shot a 30-06 that is comfortable for me to shoot and I am 6' 220lbs. I can shoot my 7mag all day long and not even think twice about it. I think an '06 has more of a "punch" recoil, whereas a 7mm has more of a "push" type recoil. I haven't shot a 300win mag in a few years, so I can't really remember what they had for felt recoil. I have shot a 270WSM and a 300WSM in the last few months and neither of them were bad to shoot either. I have a Browning A-Bolt Stalker in 7mm that I have let alot of ppl shoot that don't like recoil, and all have said it was very comfortable, easy to shoot.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try to avoid anyone that throws the 500 yard number around regularly...lol. As you are around the sport more you will be able to pick out the smoke salesmen from the hunters I am on the right side of the river here but I can say in 23 years of deer hunting I have had a whopping total of 3 300+ yard shots. So I would say beware when they start throwin the big yardage numbers around. Also beware of those saber toothed elk.....270 and 280 bullets bounce right off em! Takes at least a 416 Rem to knock one down.

As James would say...them things your boots bolt to are called feet...its ok to use em to get closer. Entirely too many things start to go wrong past even 150 yards for somebody that doesnt practice a lot to consistently make killing hits at distances equal to or greater than 150.

Quick Reply: 7mm mag or 300 win for a lady hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.