Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New Hunting Rifle >

New Hunting Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Hunting Rifle

Old 03-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New Hunting Rifle

Alright I am only 20 but so far I have got two deer on the wall so I am not new to the hunting scene. That out of the way, I am looking for the ultimate all around, flat shooting hunting cartridge. My deer gun for a while was the good old .270 Win, and then two years ago I went to a 7mm Mag. I have my mind set on a Christensen Arms rifle on a 700 action. I don't plan on shooting grizzly bears or elephants. Hopefully Moose will be the biggest animal I will hunt for. My dream hunt is for bighorn sheep. I guess my question is, is my 7mm Mag good enough for NA game out to about 400 yards? Should I just put a Christensen barrel on it? Or should I upgrade to a .325 WSM or something. I really like my 7mm mag, it is a Ruger mark 1 with a bell&carlson synthetic stock.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Hunting Rifle

Yes, your 7mm Mag is good enough for NA game out to 400 yards. No need to look at another caliber IMO. Another gun in 7mm mag. perhaps but the 7mm mag. is plenty.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

As is your 270.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

7mm Maghas enough power for all the animals you mention on your post even the one you don't hunt. No need for another caliber.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed, 7mm rem mag will do what your asking.

However if you want a custom new rifle you may want to think about the 7mm STW or 300RUM. These certainly meet your requirements and fall into the "Flat Shooter" category.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:38 PM

I would keep the good old regular 7mm rem mag, as it is plenty flat shooting enough and wont burn your barrel out like the new supper magnums do.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:57 AM

If you already have the 7mm Rem Mag, then that would be the rifle you need. But, if your fishing for an excuse to go and buy another rifle well, everybody here can help you out on that one -
Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, the cartridge you have is fine. I'm really fond of the 7mm Mag myself. When you mention "flat shooting" I'm assuming you have an interest in shooting at fairly long range distances. If that's the case, then in my opinion the cartridge is of less importance than the rifle itself. .308 class cartridges and up are quite capable of taking game at fairly long distances. However, some rifles may not be up to the task. You should consider getting your rifle accurized (new barrel, bedding, trigger work, etc...) if I'm correct about your long range ambitions.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought the 7mm Mag would be enough. I just really like the Christensen Guns and thought that since I am young I could just save some money for a while and get whatever caliber is the best. So I think that I will just keep might and send it to them for a barrel, bedding, thumbhole stock, etc... As for the .30 cals, my Dad has a Parker Hale.300 Win mag and my cousin has a .300 RUM and they are very nice but also kick more and are more expesive to shoot. And whats the point of having a gun if it kicks to much to shoot a lot. Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:14 PM

First off, welcome to the forum jeep kid. I am glad to see younger hunters coming up. I am only 26 myself but I love to see kids that are my age and younger enjoying the sport of hunting. As I feel it is a dying breed to see kids my age and younger hunting. (I knew very few kids that i went to school that hunted)

I also noticed that you said you had a 270 before and baught a 7mm mag.
Isuppose you didn't have the 270 for too too long before you baught that 7mm. ......... DO I SENSE ANOTHER POSSIBLE GUN COLLECTOR COMING UP IN THE HUNTING WORLD? I can honestly say that I sure hope so. I also get excited whenI see hunters or shooters buying guns to either shoot or hunt with. It is sure fun to try outdifferent caliber configurations at the range and in the field.

Your 7mm AND your 270 would both do the trick on the game that you want to hunt in NA.

Good luck hunting, shooting, (possibly collecting)I hope you keep the tradition alive and maybe take the time to teach someone younger than yourself the awsome sport of hunting.

Quick Reply: New Hunting Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.