Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 more garbage from the military teacher..... >

more garbage from the military teacher.....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

more garbage from the military teacher.....

Old 03-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default more garbage from the military teacher.....

if you guys recall....i take a American Military Expirience class...instructed by 2 Seargant first class guys...well the one told me a AK-47..typical common AK-47 fires a 308 and is the same thing as a 7.62x39 when i told him that is the round they fire......

well today.....were learning about the m16....today the same guy tells us it fires a 5.56..aka 223.....i agree...muzzle velocity is around 3100fps...ok i agree it should be around there......THEN he asks who hunts..couple of us raise our hands....he asks how fast does a 308,270,30-06or our typical deer riflesfire....i raised my hand...i know my 30-06 fires around 2700-2900fps....of course he KNEW i had a better answer then he did..and he answered his own question.....sit down for this guys....his answer was about 1200fps!!!! i knew better then to try and argue.....but im sitting here looking at remingtons ballistic chart for a 3006 and a 223..and im thinking about printing it and putting it in his mailbox with the numbers highlighted....

he also tried to tell us that rifleing gives accuracy..ok i agree...and he said when the "muskets" were used and were rifled it would taken atleast 5 minutes of POUNDING a bullet down the bore because of the rifleing...except for mini's because they were smaller and the bottoms expand when fired..agree with that.......but i dont think its ever taken my 5 minutes or more to load my flintlock....WITH rifling! lol...

just thought id let you guys know the latest news.....all of our 30-06s, 270s, and 308s only do around 1200fps....and the m-16 is a far superior weapon when it comes to penetration and "stopping power".......

shouldnt he know a little something about a 308??? hes been in the military 20 some years....it kills me to bite my tounge when i KNOW im right......but i know its the right thing to do......its his job to teach me.....i shouldnt waste my breath trying with him...and just make our relationship rocky....but man some of the BS he piles out sometimes....
Old 03-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: more garbage from the military teacher.....

go here and print this off for him. This guy is a nut case and you need some one else to teach the class. I was in sniper school many years ago and I am dam glad I had some one that new what was going on it saved my life many times and learn to hit a target at 1000 yards. I fill truly sorry for you that you have to listin to junk like that he need his stripes PULLED and I mean fast make him a p.f.c.Before he get someone killed and you can tell him I said so to.
Ballistics Charts
Old 03-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

i wouldnt be surprised if he had a desk job or something...i mean i respect him for serving our country....but pleasssssse do not talk about something you dont have a clue about like you know it all.....i know i dont know everything...but you wont find me TEACHING about something i have no clue about.....worse part was....another kid in the military AGREED with him about the muzzle velocity and the kid claimed to be a hunter....if thats whats taught in the military im glad i didnt go......i would been shipped home after a day because id end up opening my mouth and correcting them...he preached the m-16 like it was gold.....said its the most accurate rifle out there.......guess he never got to shot a sniper rifle...which has a much farther effective range then an m-16 and is far more accurate....guess he doesnt know much more then he was taught from the military...going to the range to fire the m-16 thursday....and another lecture on it wed...should be rather interesting....i feel bad for the kids in the class that dont know any better and buy into it....i really wanted to take the second class next semester..think i get some leadership award if i do....and its a pretty dang easy 3 credits....but i dont know....i should show up to the range with my own m4 carbine and a case of ammo.....he crapped himself when i broke down the m-16 and put it back together before he got done telling the class how to break it down......
Old 03-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ever heard the saying "Sometimes you have to walk through the cow dung, to collect the milk money."

Take the courses, listen to this guy, collect the credits and move on.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Next time ask him to explainthe difference between cover and concealment, then ask him if trees are considered cover or concealmentwhen 556s are being fired at you, then again ask him the same question as if US .30s or 7.62 nato bullets are being shot at you.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also ask him why service rifle shooters use pretty much the same 'come ups' (elevation adjustments) out to 600 yards whether they are shooting the US .30, the 7.62x51 or 5.56x45. Yes, the 5.56 starts out a little faster, but the .30 bullets are a bit slipperier which evens things out downrange. If the 5.56 bullets were fired at nearly 3x the velocity of the .30s as your instructor said, this wouldn't be true.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:09 PM

Mauser I hope you don't judge all soldiers by this guy's lack of info on a class he should have no problem teaching. I have run into some guys in the military that you wonder how they got through basic training. But I can assure you most of the people in the military no there job's and do them well. I would assume this is a civilian school he is teaching at and more than likley he saw it as an easy way out of some real work. Any way I also took the military experience class for 8 years. So i can somewhat judge this guy
Old 03-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

nchawkeye....im not complaining about the class....its a pretttttty dang simple 3credits...show up and youll pass....200pts is attendance out of like 500...just chaps my @$$ a little to hear some of the BS that comes out of his mouth sometimes....and the whole 308 is the same as a 7.62x39...that could ended up tobe dangerous if someone went home and tried that one out!!!..and he said one day he could "go nuts and kill someone in the class room and blame it on the stress from being in iraq and get away with it" or something to that extent....i do like it when he says the truth.."military equiptment is bought from the LOWEST bidder and isnt all that great...." Briman.....i dont wanna make the guy feel dumb! lol....but he keeps it up i can definently slip something into his mailbox without him having a clue who it came from....
Old 03-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think if I were in your shoes I would have to point out his total lack of knowledge on the subject of rifles, ammunition and ballistics. Wether it made him feel like an idiot or not is none of my concern. He should have a basic knowledge of what he is teaching.

Speak up. It's not your fault that he doesn't have a clue. Maybe you will save someones life because you pointed out the difference between a 7.62X39 and a .308.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:04 PM

I had that trouble the 1st time I joined the services now that I’m going back I will have to bite my tong even more then normal as I will have to “learn” the basics again.
Funny when you consider that I used to teach the advanced courses before I left less than 2 years ago.
I have a feeling that I’m going to spend a lot of sleepless nights banging my head against the wall.

Quick Reply: more garbage from the military teacher.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.