Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me pick my FIRST hangun! >

Help me pick my FIRST hangun!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me pick my FIRST hangun!

Old 03-15-2006, 10:05 PM

Default Help me pick my FIRST hangun!

So here in about 3 weeks I'm going to be purchasing my FIRST hangun. First of all, I've been around all types of firearms my whole life and know how to handle them.

What I'm looking for is something for me to pack with me when I'm hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, whatever. I want something that I can carry for bears and cougars. Also... I tend to do a lot of these activities by myself and we all know that the woods aren't that great of a place for a lady to be by herself and there's some not-so-friendly people out there.

Also, I want a firearm that I can conceal if need be, I'm not too worried about fitting it in my purse, though I'd like something that I can wear on my hip with a coat over it. I do a lot of things by myself (including live) where I would feel a lot safer with a sidearm.

I'm a lady so I've got smaller hands and haven't had too many handguns feel *perfect* in my grip. I'm not a big fan of revolvers either.

If anybody has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated! I'm going to go rent a couple here shortly and test them out to see what fits me, but I would just like a heads up on any certain ideas! Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me pick my FIRST hangun!

Personally, I would go with .44 Magnum. Others will probably recommend different but seems about right for varmits or the two legged type 'human' varmits that can bother you. When hunting in Germany, carried a .357, but now I think about it, the .44 would have been better for Wild Boar! [8D]
Old 03-15-2006, 11:07 PM

Be sure to rent different styles AND different calibers. I would think a small framed 357 would fill the bill nicely. But you said you're not into revolvers. If you go auto, you won't have a problem making the size requirements. My suggestion there would be, again, to get the biggest caliber you can shoot well. Alot of guys just can't shoot a 45 worth crap. If you can shoot it well, go that route for sure. The .40S&W might be the right, but if a 9mm is what you can put in the X, that's alot better than shooting the air. Don't shy away from a 45 or 357, some people can handle them without a second thought. Since you've been around guns your whole life you may very well be one of them. (I'm introducing some friends at college to the world of guns, its hilarious!!! A rather big boy was shooting my 870 with trap loads. After the shot two shots he looked flustered..."Wow, I didn't know they kicked like that!" My jaw dropped, buy I was nice and told him he'd get used to it)

One last note, if you *think* you might like a caliber if its was just a little gentle, try finding a gun with another inch or two of barrel. It can make a noticeable difference and actually increases the power on the recieving end of the bullet.

Good luck, and show us what you end up with. We gunnuts never get bored with pictures.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:52 AM

I would go as big as possible. There are grizzlies in these mountains. Year before last I saw one up in unit 1 about 50 yards while I was bow hunting. All I had was my bow. He stood up and looked at me and I was thinking I shouldn't be here. I think he just couldn't figure out what I was. Finally he got wind of me and took off. I hiked back top the truck. Ihas nothingbut the bow and figured I need something with a little power in case I ever had to have it. I purched a 500 S&W. Its big, its heavy but It gives me a little piece of mind. Im not saying you ned a 500 but I wouldnt go and less than a 44 mag. Black Sheep has a descent selection of handguns most of the time. Go down and make one of the guys let you handle a few and see what you think you like. Tell them you want something that will put a bear on the ground.

As for concealing, make sure you have a concealed weapons permit

I have run into some strange charactors in unit 4 up on Bunko rd. That would also be a good reason to have something on the hip.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

[quote]Also, I want a firearm that I can conceal if need be, I'm not too worried about fitting it in my purse, though I'd like something that I can wear on my hip with a coat over it. I do a lot of things by myself (including live) where I would feel a lot safer with a sidearm.

I'm a lady so I've got smaller hands and haven't had too many handguns feel *perfect* in my grip.
I'm not a big fan of revolvers either.[/quote]

Ruger SP101 .357mag 2-1/4" barrel

Ruger .40cal

Old 03-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't want a revolver check into Springfields line of XDs. Can get them in various configurations from concealed carry - to tactical models. Chambered in 9mm, 40, 45 GAP, 45ACP.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:47 AM

I'd stick with a nice medium framed revolver. Something along the line of a Ruger GP100 or S&W 66 in 357 magnum. Perhaps a 3" or 4" barrel. I find anything much bigger than that, such as a 44 Mag. way to much to comfortably conceal.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: IDRedneckGirl
...purchasing my FIRST hangun.

...know how to handle them.

...pack with me when I'm hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, whatever. I want something that I can carry for bears and cougars. ...

Also, I want a firearm that I can conceal ...

I'm a lady so I've got smaller hands and haven't had too many handguns feel *perfect* in my grip. I'm not a big fan of revolvers either.

...rent a couple here shortly and test them out to see what fits me...
Wow, you don't want much do you. LOL
I think it will be tough satisfying ALL those needs with one gun in that anything big enopugh for bear will probably be either too big to conceal or too small to control the muzzle flip. That said, your doing the perfect thing by going to try some first.

My wife just bought a conealed carry weapon, so I know what your going through, soMANY options.

Consider a Glock in 9mm or .40 cal. I am going through a handgun class right now (wife too) and the well-seasoned instructor mentioned that the Glock 19 (9mm)fit a LOT/most of women well...both hand size and controlled recoil. Pull back on the slide is usually manageable for women and you also don't have to worry about any decockers, manual safeties, etc. Just point and shoot; very desirable when confronted.

If you never have shot a .44 or .45 you'll be in for a surprised. If you you can handle it, go for the biggest caliber you can. But I know of very few women who can.

Don't settle for anything that doesn't fit your hand. So try a lot. My wife looked at DOZENS. She ended up with a Taurus PT-22 (.22LR) which is way too small for your needs but it is a good self-defense weapon for her because it fits her hand and she can shoot it well.

I have a Ruger super Red hawk in .44 magnum. Shoots well, ballistics indicate it will put a black bear down at short yardages, but definitely NOT concealable. Cougars are pretty thin-skinned so just about any caliber will do. Bear is problematic though....a .357 or .40 may deter them but probably nothing less.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since you don't want a revolver (which I would recommend in .357 or 44mag with a 3-5" barrel), you may want to consider the 10mm in addition to those mentioned above. The recoil is sharp, but not unmanagable if you're not trying to wrap yourfingers around a gun that's too big for your hand. The 10mm is not really popular, but it is very effective, shoots flat,and can be packaged in guns that are not too big.

I'd stay away from the 45GAP. Ballistically, it's really nothing more than a standard pressure 45, andthe GAP isalready operating at it's top pressure, so you can't upgrade to +P ammo when loading up for the woods.If you like the 45, get a single stack 1911 single action or Para's LDA single stack. Their grips are plenty small for all but the tiniest hands.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:56 PM

Default re:

The title of your post emphasized FIRST handgun, and I take it to mean there will be more to follow.

Any handgun collection should have a .22. They are inexpensive and cheap to shoot. A .22 will allow you to pracitice and become proficient at shooting a handgun. You could shoot a thousand rounds a day for a week with a .22, and not go broke. Try doing that with a centerfire handgun, even with "cheap" 9mm ammo. In addition, no matter how many handguns you eventually aquire, you will still take the time to shoot your .22, because they are just plain fun.

A .22 will not fulfill many of the needs you listed; I doubt any single handgun can accomplish that. To meet all of your needs, I recommend you have more than one handgun. Seriously. I don't think there's one handgun that will do it for you.

Quick Reply: Help me pick my FIRST hangun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.