Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Legal Silencers (which states) >

Legal Silencers (which states)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Legal Silencers (which states)

Old 03-15-2006, 10:03 PM

Default Legal Silencers (which states)

Can anyone tell me which states do and do not allow the owning and use of silencers with an ATF tax stamp. I am in KS and I think we have banned them completely. Thanks

Chris
Old 03-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Legal Silencers (which states)

I am not sure, but I want to say they are illegal in all 50 states. Maybe you can with a FFL Class 3 I think it is, but not even sure with that.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:09 PM

I know some states allow use of silencers, but I am unsure if it takes just the 200 dollar stamp or a FFL Class 3 in the states that allow it. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont know about state to state regs......but you CAN own them with a class 3 license.....dont know how it varies....or if it does state to state..ive shot many guns with them....all legal....heck...i think ALL of them were FULLY automatic....talk about holding a chunk of change.....fully auto..supressed...mp5 with all the bells and whisles...sounded like a 22lr..maybe a little quieter...didnt need hearing protection.....my favorite would be a fully auto surpressed 10/22......all you could hear was the acting clangin and the metal swingers bangin!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are legal in most states, but you need to check the BATF website as to which states restrict them- its a lot of stuff to wade through unless you are looking up a specific state.

By federal law you need to obtain the $200 tax satamp from the BATF and have to have your local police chief sign off on the paperwork before you can take delivery. The Police Chief is the most common roadblock to purchasing a NFA item, though there are legalways around that too if you have enough time, money, money and desire to obtain the item.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

atf_letter66.txt(3k) 8/99 ATF letter on making replacement silencer parts
Old 03-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

We can still own 'em in South Dakota. LIke the others have stated you need to get the $200 BATF stamp, then you have to get the sheriff to sign it off for ya, this turns into a 6month process for lots of guys.

I sure would like a Tikka T3 Tactical with a suppressor.......
Old 03-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

[rant]

Its got to be the stupidest law ever. You would get a fine if you didn't have a muffler on your car or motorcycle and you can't even buy an ATV or lawnmower without the requisite muffler. If you put a muffler on your rifle or handgun which are a lot louder than anything previously mentioned, you go to prison for 10 years if you don't have the written consent ofthe government and pay the 'tax' to own the muffler. More proof that our government past and present has been run by a bunch of weakminded fools.[:@] [/rant]
Old 03-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Briman

[rant]

Its got to be the stupidest law ever. You would get a fine if you didn't have a muffler on your car or motorcycle and you can't even buy an ATV or lawnmower without the requisite muffler. If you put a muffler on your rifle or handgun which are a lot louder than anything previously mentioned, you go to prison for 10 years if you don't have the written consent ofthe government and pay the 'tax' to own the muffler. More proof that our government past and present has been run by a bunch of weakminded fools.[:@] [/rant]
Amen brother!
Old 03-16-2006, 02:56 PM

yea like the others in texas you have to have a class 3 federal stamp PER restricted item,. that run $200 each. You also can ONLY use the said "restricted" item on the gun/part listed on the stamp. You cant take it off and stick it on another firearm. Or they will hit you with a felony and you will never touch NEthing but blackpower and flare guns for the rest of your life. I was thinking about gettin my class 3 and my FFL but scraped the class 3 after all the crap you gotta go threw to get it. Tomuch hassle unless you have some pull in the community cause last i checked a local JP and SHeriff had to sign off on the class 3 and in most cases there not gonna let just NEone get a restricted product. oh and thats only good for a year so if you wanna keep the part you gotta pay that $200 everyyear or lose the restricted item.

Quick Reply: Legal Silencers (which states)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.