Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 You can have only one gun to put food on the table. Which one? >

You can have only one gun to put food on the table. Which one?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

You can have only one gun to put food on the table. Which one?

Old 03-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: You can have only one gun to put food on the table. Which one?

After re-reading your post....I'd go with the .22....you mentioned limited budget...Remember in a survival situation...you would not hesitate to shoot ducks sitting on the water, quail on the ground, doves in a tree...even robins and blackbirds make great table fare and a .22 is easily capable of taking squirrels,rabbits,groundhogs,raccoons,possums even deer, when hit between the eyes or just behind the ear.

Actually I would also be setting rabbit boxes and fish traps. I have seen quail,doves,robins,blackbirds caught in such fishtraps, when baited with corn....

Old 03-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

id also go with a 22 or 12gauge, I can kill anything that lives around me with a 22, deer, hogs, squirrels, birds, rabbit ect... and same with a 12 gauge
Old 03-15-2006, 03:02 PM

I would say a .223, maybe an ar-15 flat top-scope, you got self defense, distance, and accuracy. plus ammo is cheaper than some and smaller
Old 03-15-2006, 03:16 PM
DM

You asked what ONE gun would i own to do it all and here it is.This Krieghoff drilling hasbeen "doing it all" for me for over 20 years now!

"If" i didn't own this drilling, i'd go back to what i used before. A Valmet 412 combination 12 guage over a 30-06. That combination gun filled my freezer for many years, and i still have it too. They made over 26 different bbls that will go on the 412 action, includeing O/U 20 and 12ga.., double rifle in many cals., and also several combination bbl sets..

Drilling Man
Old 03-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's hard for my brain to comprehend only owning one firearm, but through sheer willpower I've forced myself to do it. I like the idea of a 12 or 20 guage autoloading shotgun. But then againyou could probably survive quite nicely witha .22. That's really a question with no single adequate answer.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HuntinBayou

My question of "You can have only one gun to put food on the table. Which one?" is related to the scenario of a biological pandemic; One where we must refrain from all contact with civilization until the pandemic runs it's course or a vaccine is created.
That's a hard question for me, I got so many favorites. But if it was in a situation like mention above I would pick my M-1 garand 30cal. It willhunt anything and kill everything I point to, plus it has eight rounds, strong rounds. This gun has gone through and won world war 2 for us, very durable and dependable, not to mention accurate. So I think it'll go through anything for you.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:25 PM

I would pick a savage 24 in 223 over 12 guage and also buy in adapter cartridge for the 223 so it could fire 22 long rifle ammunition.

P.S D.M what caliber is the rifle barrel on that drilling, if you dont mind telling ?
Old 03-15-2006, 06:24 PM
DM

P.S D.M what caliber is the rifle barrel on that drilling, if you dont mind telling ?
The high powered rifle bbl is 8x57jrs and i load 200 NP's at 2350fps for it.

The right shot bbl has a Krieghoff slide in 22lr bbl in it. (i also have one in 22 Win. mag.) Both of these bbls shoot as well as a quality bolt action rifle, and are sighted into the rifle sights. You can easiy unlock them and slide them out, and when they go back in, theyare again sighted in.

The shot bbls have choke tubes in them and shoot slugs well.

Drilling Man
Old 03-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DM

You asked what ONE gun would i own to do it all and here it is.This Krieghoff drilling hasbeen "doing it all" for me for over 20 years now!

"If" i didn't own this drilling, i'd go back to what i used before. A Valmet 412 combination 12 guage over a 30-06. That combination gun filled my freezer for many years, and i still have it too. They made over 26 different bbls that will go on the 412 action, includeing O/U 20 and 12ga.., double rifle in many cals., and also several combination bbl sets..

Drilling Man
Thats a very fine rifle but it dosent look very light weight and I did some looking and them things cost more then most peoples cars!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

First lemme say, "Who in the world would want to live under such circumstances"? I'd just as soon take a swan dive off the apex of the roof of my house. [:@]

But for arguements sake I to would take the 12ga. How many birds and running/flying small game are you gonna get with a 22?

AMEN for modern life,
RA

WHY WOULD YOU KILL YOURSELF OVER THAT!!!

Quick Reply: You can have only one gun to put food on the table. Which one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.