Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Dedicated Rifled Slug Guns... >

Dedicated Rifled Slug Guns...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Dedicated Rifled Slug Guns...

Old 03-10-2006, 07:04 PM

Default RE: Dedicated Rifled Slug Guns...

what about the remington 870 12 ga.... i got one with a hastings barrel, cantelever scope mount, and a decent scope. I can hit bowling pins from 150 yards
Old 03-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

I really like my Marlin 512,but the cost of sabot ammo became prohibitive.I got a cantiliver smoothbore for my 870,and it shoots Brenneke KOs and Federal Tru-Ball slugs almost as well as the expensive ammo through a rifled barrel.

Bill
Old 03-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Gogiggen--An 870 wouldn't have heavy enough action
to hold a barrel heavy enough for our case, or long
enough action port. We made our creation knowing
that heavier larger guns would be needed.

Gogiggen-Redneck Bill-- you fellas hitting bowling pin
size targets means you haveaccurate guns as they are,
and good target skills.You will get your deer. Most thuty-thuty
shooters I know can't hit a bowling pin at 50 yds, and
most when they sight them in, shoot patterns.Ed.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bill
it shoots Brenneke KOs and Federal Tru-Ball slugs almost as well as the expensive ammo through a rifled barrel.
Unfortunately they don't provide anywhere near the down range trajectory...especially past 75yds...
Old 03-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Price of sabots to reload with I find so far, means to
me that it is just as easy to buy already loaded for
one brand at8 bucks for 5. Expensive ones 12 bucks
for 5....But guys are paying 30
to 60 bucks for magnum rifle loadings per 20.It is all relative
especially if you are good with scoped shotgun at
midranges with sabots,and you use them anyway in
shotgun only areas..Ed.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:08 AM

So jcchartboy, you seem pretty up-to-speed on the slug gun info. I just went out and purchased a Remington 11-87 SportsmanDeerDedicated Slug gun in black synthetic, fully rifled barrel, topped it with a nice set of Weaver rings, and put a Bushnell elite 3200 3-9 x 40 scope combo on it. I am a descent shot, and have yet to shoot this gun, but with my old cheap riffled Mosberg, I held 3 - 5 inch patterns at about 110 yards. What do you think of the combo that I just purchased...what would you have done differantly in that price range for semi-auto/rings/scope combo? Just curious as to your opinion. THANKS!

Sean

PS, I got the gun for $498 (Sells for $629 at Gander Mountain) Weaver Grand Slam rings for $25, and scope for $162.50 (Sells for $239.00 at Cabellas), for a total of $685.50 plus tax.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:56 PM

Ok, anyone have experiance with the 11-87 that I bought? What kind of slugs do you shoot, and what type of patterns are you getting?

Thanks!!

Sean
Old 03-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been whacking Deer with various slug slinging shot guns for 30yrs+ as I'm sure a few others have. Seen alot of hot shot high dollar guns with shooter that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 25yrds from a bench rest. Gun or Shooter - Go Figure?

Sluggers can be difficult to properly set up and get "Dialed In" - BUT
IMO - Take any of the top three selling 12/20 gauge slug slingers(you pick em or google it) with a cantelever factory or Hastings rifled barrel,
properly mount a good scope,find a sabot slug the barrel likes and you have a great Deer Whackin Slug Slinger out to 150+ yrds.

Don't care whether it be $300 or $1000 Gun.

Bottom Line - Most of it is in the hands of the shooter.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BSTNFREEK

So jcchartboy, you seem pretty up-to-speed on the slug gun info. I just went out and purchased a Remington 11-87 SportsmanDeerDedicated Slug gun in black synthetic, fully rifled barrel, topped it with a nice set of Weaver rings, and put a Bushnell elite 3200 3-9 x 40 scope combo on it. I am a descent shot, and have yet to shoot this gun, but with my old cheap riffled Mosberg, I held 3 - 5 inch patterns at about 110 yards. What do you think of the combo that I just purchased...what would you have done differantly in that price range for semi-auto/rings/scope combo? Just curious as to your opinion. THANKS!

Sean

PS, I got the gun for $498 (Sells for $629 at Gander Mountain) Weaver Grand Slam rings for $25, and scope for $162.50 (Sells for $239.00 at Cabellas), for a total of $685.50 plus tax.

BSTNFREAK,

I apologize for the delayed response, I had not seen the thread in a few days.

Let me start at the top...

Scope...excellent purchase, I consider that scope everything you would need for shotgunning. Could you buy a better scope, of course. However, that scope is a perfect balance between cost/function...good job.

Rings...The weavers are most likely aluminum. Assuming they are mounted very well they will work fine 99% of the time. However, I have had issues with the scope slipping in these rings if they are not tightened perfectly,(not that they should). I only mention this for one reason. If you a problem with accuracy, this would be one of the first areas I would check. I have started to use Warne Maxima's and Talleys just for the added security. All-in-all though the Weavers should work out great...good job their too.

Gun...Awesome choice...if I was ever looking topurchase an autoloader this would be one of my first considerations...top notch.

What more can said be said about your decisions...You put together one of the nicer guns I could think of...

Now the hard work starts....
Old 03-26-2006, 04:36 PM

The Weaver Grand Slam Rings I got are solid steel, not aluminum, so hopefully this should work better?? If you think that I should go with something differant, let me know, you really seem to know your stuff on slug guns. Thanks again!!

Sean

Quick Reply: Dedicated Rifled Slug Guns...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.